Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 01:46 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
There's no reason to believe there are more white racists in Clemson than in any other town in this country yet you are asserting this despite no evidence.

How would you like it if people accused you of racism but had no evidence of it?
BUT, You originally said there are NO racists in Clemson. Now, you're saying " there's no reason to believe there are more racists in Clemson, than in any other town". Sounds like you've changed your original statement, by now saying there are racists, but not anymore than anywhere else...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 01:48 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
BUT, You originally said there are NO racists in Clemson. Now, you're saying " there's no reason to believe there are more racists in Clemson, than in any other town". Sounds like you've changed your original statement, by now saying there are racists, but not anymore than anywhere else...
Why are you so eager to talk about racism in Clemson unless you believe Clemson has more white racists than other places? If every city has some racists, why do you focus on Clemson?

You have no evidence of white racism in Clemson yet you still make the assertion it is a problem worth pointing out.

What was your problem with west Greenville? You said you couldn't move to Greenville because you rode through that area.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-31-2017 at 01:58 PM..

Old 12-31-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Why are you so eager to talk about racism in Clemson unless you believe Clemson has more white racists than other places?

You have no evidence of white racism in Clemson yet you still make the assertion it is a problem worth pointing out.
You indicated that racism doesn't exist in Clemson, which is absurd. My only assertion is that there ARE some racists in Clemson, just like every other place in the South. AND without a doubt, people in the South still hold relatively more biases and prejudices than people in places like Seattle, San Francisco, Boulder, Portland, etc..

Old 12-31-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
My only assertion is that there ARE some racists in Clemson, just like every other place in the South. AND without a doubt, people in the South still hold relatively more biases and prejudices than people in places like Seattle, San Francisco, Boulder, Portland, etc..
I don't think that is true at all.

You've provide no proof there are more racists in Clemson and the south than in other places in this country. It is worth noting that the old slavery and segregation party is no longer in power in the south.

It is interesting to me that a person who said he or she couldn't live in Greenville because of the Highway 25 area is now suggesting that Clemson has a significant number of white racists.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I don't think that is true at all. You make a lot of loaded assertions without providing evidence of your claim.

You've provide no proof there are more racists in Clemson and the south than in other places in this country. It is worth noting that the old slavery and segregation party is no longer in power in the south.
I'm not going to bother to look up the research but I'm sure there is empirical research which shows this.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to bother to look up the research but I'm sure there is empirical research which shows this.
You talk about empirical research but you can't even provide one contemporary example of white racism in Clemson despite your claim you have relatives living in Clemson.

I think there is less white racism in the south because there are more black people here than most parts of the country. I don't think white racism is a major issue in any part of the country at this point.

It has been interesting to see at least 3 people on this thread that have never lived in Clemson assert that white racism is a significant issue in Clemson.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-31-2017 at 02:17 PM..

Old 12-31-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
You talk about empirical research but you can't even provide one contemporary example of white racism in Clemson despite your claim you have relatives living in Clemson.
You don't think there's a single instance of racism in a town the size of Clemson (in the south). What about the bar in town that someone else mentioned? What about the truck passing through town with a confederate flag mounted on the back? Surely, this is a joke.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
You don't think there's a single instance of racism in a town the size of Clemson (in the south). What about the bar in town that someone else mentioned? What about the truck passing through town with a confederate flag mounted on the back? Surely, this is a joke.
The point is there is no evidence racism in Clemson is prevalent, yet that is your point. If it isn't prevalent, then it isn't worth pointing out. Crimes occur in Clemson but nobody would say it isn't a safe place to live.

Personally, I think your comment about deciding not to live in Greenville because of the predominantly black Highway 25 area is as potentially racist as a Confederate flag on a truck.

Tom Petty used to fly Confederate flags at concerts in the 1970's but I kind of doubt he was a racist. He revered all the black rock n roll artists like Chuck Berry.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
The point is there is no evidence racism in Clemson is prevalent, yet that is your point. If it isn't prevalent, then it isn't worth pointing out. Crimes occur in Clemson but nobody would say it isn't a safe place to live.

Personally, I think your comment about deciding not to live in Greenville because of the predominantly black Highway 25 area is as potentially racist as a Confederate flag on a truck.
Excuse me. I never used that word. I said it was a run-down (ugly part) part of town.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:24 PM

Ok, I'm just pointing out there are people like you who would construe your disdain for Highway 25 area of Greenville as implicit racism.

I have only see Confederate flags in Clemson one time in 21 years, and those people appear to be traveling through town and stopped at Clemson's famous bar in an old gas station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina