Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 06:59 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Wow, what a bait and switch? Thank goodness the federal and local government doesn't think that way. We are talking about racism! Isn't that the nature of this thread? I guess another baiter. I was trying to have a productive and informative conversation. Even posted valid laws and regulations. Have you? Not a debate! Guess not. I didn't say one word about my race and if I did so what! I see I'm not the only person you have baited on this thread. I'm not falling for it.

I'm done responding to your bait and switch because there are one-offs everywhere. I'm not going back and forth about one-offs. I was referring to the most part. I'm glad there are people in power that trust, know and believe. If you don't, your issue, nothing to do with anything else (Another baiter and trolling poster from the political forum that tries to challenge Trump righteousness and racial inequalities at every turn) Wrong forum!.
I rarely post on the Politics forum. I don't understand your comment about Trump above. I don't understand what 'tries to challenge Trump righteousness and racial inequalities at every turn' means. I never made any comment about Trump. My example wasn't about Trump.

I don't have an obligation to agree with you or validate your opinions on racism. I posted an example of a person lying about racism (he burned his own church down and tried to pin it on other people for political purposes) and that seemed to set you off. I was trying to make a point that many allegations of racism these days are often not true. It seems like if it is ok to speculate about 'covert racism', it should also be ok to talk about real examples of false accusations of racism and race hoaxes.

I don't doubt there is still some white racism out there, but I think the prevalence of it is embellished by some people for political reasons. I've had people accuse me of racism for my opinion that white racism isn't a major problem in this country at this point.

Since you labeled my example as a 'one-off', here's another example. A black man in Kansas painted racist graffiti on his own car. https://nypost.com/2017/11/07/black-...n-his-own-car/

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-16-2018 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 08:22 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I rarely post on the Politics forum. I don't understand your comment about Trump above. I don't understand what 'tries to challenge Trump righteousness and racial inequalities at every turn' means. I never made any comment about Trump. My example wasn't about Trump.

I don't have an obligation to agree with you or validate your opinions on racism. I posted an example of a person lying about racism (he burned his own church down and tried to pin it on other people for political purposes) and that seemed to set you off. I was trying to make a point that many allegations of racism these days are often not true. It seems like if it is ok to speculate about 'covert racism', it should also be ok to talk about real examples of false accusations of racism and race hoaxes.

I don't doubt there is still some white racism out there, but I think the prevalence of it is embellished by some people for political reasons. I've had people accuse me of racism for my opinion that white racism isn't a major problem in this country at this point.
Your opinion... I didn't speculate anything I gave your clear example and even the definition as well as the laws enacted by the Federal Government based on discrimination. That's not speculation at all. You gave examples of liars and dishonest people. That is clearly in every race.

It doesn't fit your agenda to realize racism is a problem. It seems like you are making this personal based on accusations about you. Guility? Get over it before you go after others by discounting wrongdoing. Nothing political about it.

FYI, I've never been accused of being racist, sexist, homophobic or anything like that. I would probably go with those people based on previous posts. You love to debate racism when you clearly have no experience. Some people that calm there is little or no racism has no relationships with minorities. But they speak about it. That's laughable.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:28 PM

Ok, you just made my point. You implied again that a white person can't have a valid opinion on racism, if it isn't your opinion. That's what I meant when I said that you seem to imply that your skin color gives credibility to your claims.

You don't know anything about me or my relationships with minorities. You make another baseless comment.

I would say you are taking it personally that I posted my own thoughts on racism because they didn't match up with your beliefs.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-16-2018 at 08:37 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 08:32 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Quote:
Ok, you just made my point. You implied again that a white person can't have a valid opinion on racism, if it isn't your opinion.

I would say you love to talk about racism. I saw you accusing the president of racism on another thread.
Accuse? I think the majority of that thread AGREED that he is a racist. I'll say it again. No issues calling one out either. If you go back to the poll, MORE people agreed that he is a racist based on the poll and questioned asked. So I and many other people agree as well. Bye, I don't have to justify anything to baiters.Again wrong thread.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:39 PM

I don't understand why you keep calling me a 'baiter'. I'm simply expressing my opinion on this forum, the same thing that you do. It is cool if you don't want hold a discussion with me but the idea that I'm trying to 'bait' you into it doesn't make any sense.

WHy it is ok for you to talk about 'covert racism' but out of bounds for me to point out that there have been a lot of examples of people lying about racism in recent years? I didn't claim that you lied about it. You labeled my example of a race hoax a one-off but I could list hundreds of examples after a brief Google search. I believe there was a race hoax at Clemson on campus just two years ago.

Anyway, moving on. I've been trying to avoid these types of negative interactions on here. I'm all about positivity.

I do think your daughter would have a good time at Clemson if she decides to go there.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-16-2018 at 09:13 PM..

Old 01-18-2018, 09:39 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Well- to act as the 'city-data poster whisperer' I would offer that plenty of people who are racist do not share that with everyone. So you might think they are great and fine until something triggers their need to express racism. I have a coworker who functions like that to a T. He is generally a good guy and very skilled at his job but at one point he started sharing his racial views small comment by small comment and my eyes rolled back in my head. The latest two were complaints that someone is dickering with the computer system because he has received messages that his emails triggered filters for racial content and a comment at lunch today about how great the fifties where because that was before there were any racial issues. Granted he would have been a boy in the 50s and grew up in a very racially monolithic state but it was a head scratcher...

I also think that once exposed to racism a lot of people have trouble separating crappy behavior from racially motivated crappy behavior. I am a Clemson grad and will offer that my black friends from Clemson said their biggest race based issue was the absence of many minority students.

Clemson is fairly conservative for a large public campus, is fairly rural and has a pretty low number of minority students in the undergraduate programs. Regardless of racism, those three characteristics are not everyone's preference. If you want a college where AA or general minority population is clocking in around 30-40% Clemson will not give you that. I had a white friend from the West Coast who had to adapt to the lack of western Asians and Hispanics as well- he was actually one of my more conservative friends but the lack of diversity beyond black, white and Indian threw him. As did the lack of what he considered decent Mexican and Asian foods. People like what they like and no one college or college town is going to be to everyone's liking. The question will be if Clemson's strengths outweigh its weaknesses for your daughter.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:13 AM

I don't know where people get the notion that Clemson is conservative. The college routinely makes the news for things that you would expect to see at far left colleges like UC Berkeley. Most college professors and young people tend to be liberal.

There is a professor at Clemson who recently accused GOP / Trump voters of being racist Nazis and advocated violence against them. As far as I know, he still works at the university. Clemson professor accused of calling for violence, labeling Republicans

I can't see Clemson retaining a professor that insulted Obama voters and advocated violence against Obama voters.

I'd be very surprised if students are presented the scientific arguments against global warming at Clemson based on the position on that issue that I've seen the university take on their website over the years.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-18-2018 at 11:26 AM..

Old 01-18-2018, 01:40 PM

It appears the US is only 12.3 percent black so it doesn't seem like there would be many universities that are 30-40 percent black students.

The percentage of black students at Clemson is in similar range as the percentage at similar large state universities such as UGA and UVA.

The University of SC is under 10 percent black students despite it being a larger university, located in urban area and in the middle of the state.

It looks like Francis Marion has one of the highest percentages of black students in the state for a non-HBC, at 46 percent. Francis Marion is located in a very rural area.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-18-2018 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-18-2018, 02:13 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times
Quote:
I don't know where people get the notion that Clemson is conservative. The college routinely makes the news for things that you would expect to see at far left colleges like UC Berkeley. Most college professors and young people tend to be liberal.

There is a professor at Clemson who recently accused GOP / Trump voters of being racist Nazis and advocated violence against them. As far as I know, he still works at the university. Clemson professor accused of calling for violence, labeling Republicans

I can't see Clemson retaining a professor that insulted Obama voters and advocated violence against Obama voters.

I'd be very surprised if students are presented the scientific arguments against global warming at Clemson based on the position on that issue that I've seen the university take on their website over the years.
The Princeton Review ranks Clemson as #17 on its list of Most Conservative Students.

Niche ranks Clemson #54 on its list of Most Conservative Colleges

Old 01-18-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
The Princeton Review ranks Clemson as #17 on its list of Most Conservative Students.
How would they know? Don't they rank party schools too? How do you rank the party scene at universities. That seems very subjective.

I attended Clemson. Politics were not coming up that much but I would guess over 50 percent of the students were liberal or non-conservative, and this was the late 90's.

A liberal student would have no problem meeting other liberals at Clemson.

I think the reason people think it is conservative is it used to be a military school.

So Princeton Review thinks a college that has no problem with a professor advocating violence against Republican voters is 17th most conservative university. If that's true, that is pretty crazy.

So far there has not been any violent protests at Clemson when conservative speakers come to Clemson so maybe it is more conservative than I realize.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-18-2018 at 02:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina