Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 02:30 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
How would they know? Don't they rank party schools too? How do you rank the party scene at universities. That seems very subjective.

I attended Clemson. Politics were not coming up that much but I would guess over 50 percent of the students were liberal or non-conservative, and this was the late 90's.

A liberal student would have no problem meeting other liberals at Clemson.

I think the reason people think it is conservative is it used to be a military school.
The Princeton Review uses student surveys for their rankings, if I recall correctly. Which does give you unreliable results if students from some college all want their rankings to show something (e.g. Good Party School). I also edited to show the other site Niche ranked Clemson #54 most conservative college.

I attended Clemson in the early to mid 2000s, and while it was more liberal than your average South Carolina town, I would say it's definitely more conservative than your average American college. Engineering professors (especially one in particular I remember) would speak at during class about conservative politics. The student body in general was enthusiastically pro-Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 02:31 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
I was in engineering....don't remember any professor talking about politics in class. Engineering is not conducive to political discussions.

I know a lot of the engineering professors are all about 'sustainable design' which is based on belief in global warming is real, which I don't think can be said to be a conservative viewpoint.

The economics department most likely teaches Keynesian economics, which is generally the liberal FDR view on economics.

I think there are only a small number of universities that can be called conservative. Hillsdale is probably the best example. Hillsale teaches Austrian free market economics , F. A Hayek.

Clemson might be more conservative than universities in blue states but I don't think it make sense to generalize it as a conservative university.

There were a ton of Clinton supporters when I was there in the late 1990s.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-18-2018 at 02:53 PM..

Old 01-18-2018, 02:38 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,309 times
Quote:
So Princeton Review thinks a college that has no problem with a professor advocating violence against Republican voters is 17th most conservative university. If that's true, that is pretty crazy.
The supposed "advocating violence against Republicans" quote was "“I admire anyone who stands up against white supremacy, Violent or non-violent." If you think "White supremacy" equals "Republican" well, then feel free to be offended.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
The supposed "advocating violence against Republicans" quote was "“I admire anyone who stands up against white supremacy, Violent or non-violent." If you think "White supremacy" equals "Republican" well, then feel free to be offended.
He said GOP / voting for Trump equals white supremacy. I think that I'm capable of interpreting his comments accurately. I didn't make the equivalence....the professor did. It is difficult to believe you know the details of this story and do not know this. I even linked the story above. He specifically said, 'All trump supporters, nay, all Republicans, are racist scum'.

I should also point out that it is a felony to commit an act of violence on any person to include a white supremacist. So Clemson is employing a professor that praises illegal acts of violence.

I don't know how anybody reads that story and comes away thinking Clemson is a conservative university, especially given the university didn't fire him. The university doesn't seem concerned about conservative students not enrolling there, or conservative parents not allowing their kids to enroll there.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-18-2018 at 03:23 PM..

Old 01-18-2018, 02:46 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Accuse? I think the majority of that thread AGREED that he is a racist. I'll say it again. No issues calling one out either. If you go back to the poll, MORE people agreed that he is a racist based on the poll and questioned asked. So I and many other people agree as well. Bye, I don't have to justify anything to baiters.Again wrong thread.
KayAnn246, I hope that your daughter visits and seriously considers Clemson. She sounds like a superb student and a great asset to whichever school she attends.

I've lived up and down the East Coast, and I think that educated circles in the South (which are growing) are actually the best places to be for avoiding racism because educated people in the South, which would include residents of Clemson, are well aware of the region's horrible racist history and sincerely want to make amends and do better. A lot of people in the South are extra-cautious about not being racist. People in the South are generally nice to strangers, too, and the "forced civility" in the South helps ensure that people get along and treat each other decently.

One of the most vocal and crude racists in the country is from Queens, NY; too bad his current home of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is south of the Mason-Dixon line. At least it's only temporary.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post

One of the most vocal and crude racists in the country is from Queens, NY; too bad his current home of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is south of the Mason-Dixon line. At least it's only temporary.
What does your opinion about Trump have to do with Clemson and this topic? If you are calling DJT a racist, it seems like you are indirectly calling his supporters racist, which includes supporters in Clemson and the south. That seems to undermine the entire premise of your post, that racism is not a major problem in the south. You have to believe his supporters are really dumb if they aren't racist, if Trump is truly racist as you claim and they don't notice it.

I'm aware of numerous black people who don't think the scandalous DJT is racist to include MLK's niece.

I think the only color the scandalous DJT sees is green.

Another thing I want to point out that is not really accurate and fair to associate racism with lack of college education. I think most of the slave owners went to college. John C Calhoun went to Yale.

One of the unique things about Clemson is the founder did not specify any race or gender criteria to attend. That wasn't the case even for universities financiially supported by northerners like Vanderbilit, Rice and Tulane. Most universities were not at the forefront of championing civil rights.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-18-2018 at 05:23 PM..

Old 01-18-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
What does your opinion about Trump have to do with Clemson and this topic? If you are calling DJT a racist, it seems like you are indirectly calling his supporters racist, which includes supporters in Clemson and the south. That seems to undermine the entire premise of your post, that racism is not a major problem in the south. You have to believe his supporters are really dumb if they aren't racist, if Trump is truly racist as you claim and they don't notice it.

I'm aware of numerous black people who don't think the scandalous DJT is racist to include MLK's niece.

I think the only color the scandalous DJT sees is green.

Another thing I want to point out that is not really accurate and fair to associate racism with lack of college education. I think most of the slave owners went to college. John C Calhoun went to Yale.

One of the unique things about Clemson is the founder did not specify any race or gender criteria to attend. That wasn't the case even for universities financiially supported by northerners like Vanderbilit, Rice and Tulane. Most universities were not at the forefront of championing civil rights.
The fact that Donald Trump is a racist was pointed out to show that the worst kind of racism often originates from outside the South. Some of his supporters are racists. I left the GOP because of Donald Trump’s racism.

There is an inverse relationship between being racist and being educated. Search for “hate maps” online and the most racist areas are less-educated areas.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:16 PM

Sounds like an opinion to me, not a fact. And it seems to completely contradict your point about racism in the south.

I kind of doubt 'hate maps' are objective in nature. Without being able to read minds, it doesn't make sense people can create an accurate 'hate map'. That sounds kind of Orwellian to me. Can you link to a 'hate map' that is non-partisan in nature?

As I've point out, colleges were forced to integrate and most of the famous slave owners went to college. I know that in my major at CLemson, the professors were not talking about racism at all, so I didn't learn racism is wrong at college.

I'm curious, did you go to Clemson? Have you ever lived in Clemson? I never saw you say that you lived in Clemson so I'm surprised you have posted on this topic several times. I thought you said you don't live in SC. It seems weird to me that a person with no experience living in Clemson would be motivated to post on this topic. And now you are posting your thoughts on DJT who doesn't live in Clemson.

If Princeton Review is right, and Clemson is 17th Most Conservative college in this country, and if it is true as you claim that DJT is racist, which would mean many of his conservative voters are also racist, it seems like Clemson would be flagged on one of those hate maps.

There are are ton of universities in this country so being 17th Most Conservative is significant especially if conservatism is related to racism.

It is hard to get my head around Clemson being called 17th Most Conservative university given all the news I see about Clemson and anecdotes that I've been told and my own experiences there. Recently a coworker told me a professor would go off on rants about the military. The coworker was in the military and he said he and other students would walk out of class. That is is even more incredible if you consider Clemson was originally a military school and had a lot of students who fought in the wars and many of them died.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-18-2018 at 09:43 PM..

Old 01-19-2018, 03:43 AM

ClemVegas, you’re the one tying Donald Trump’s racism to Clemson. Seems like an odd thing to do.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:18 AM

To add, ClemVegas, I have done classwork at Clemson U, on campus. It’s not a racist place.

Also, not sure why you’re tying conservatism to racism. I don’t view Donald Trump as a traditional conservative; he was a Democrat until recently, and his positions (if he has any) are all over the place. He is a racist because he states disparaging things about races of people and tries to treat them worse than others based on race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina