Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 03:34 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
You continue to misinterpret what I've said (even after I've said that's not what I said) and basically say I'm lying about my relatives. Enough...
Ok, I don't have to believe you have relatives in Clemson and I am free to interpret your political views. You stated on that Greenville thread that a negative of Greenville is it is 'conservative', and you touted NC as being better than SC because it is more 'progressive' which you used in the political sense, not the traditional sense. For example how can Asheville be more 'progressive' than Greenville in a traditional sense if Greenville has a larger white collar job market and looks more modern. In my view, Asheville is about the least progressive city of that size, in the traditional sense.

In my view, if you had relatives in Clemson, you would have stated that in your first post asserting there is white racism in Clemson.

Anyway, moving on. I think one of my new years resolutions is not to engage people who make accusations of white racism without evidence. That is probably the worst part about living in SC and the south. Probably 2000 years from now there will still be people accusing white people in the south of racism based on what happened in the 1960s and prior. SC elected one of the 3 black Senators and an Indian governor but people will still say white racism is prevalent here.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-31-2017 at 03:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 07:01 PM

1,279 posts, read 851,575 times
Quote:
As I noted in an earlier post, I'm not going to bother looking it up but I'm sure there is empirical research which shows there is still more racism in the south than in other regions in the country. FYI, I am a registered Independent, so this is not political. On the contrary, is it possible your responses may be politically related? I will not divulge who my relatives are nor where they work, but they do live in Clemson.
I found numerous studies within a few seconds. For one, “The most racist places in America, according to Google”, from the Washington Post, states that the most racist places are the RURAL Northeast and RURAL South, clustered along the Appalachians and covering wide swaths of Pennsylvania, New York and all the way to Vermont.

I’ve spent a significant part of my life living in super-liberal areas in the Northeast and I have met more overt racists there than I ever have in South Carolina, but certainly few in both places. If you’re a racist in the Northeast, it’s easy to convince yourself that it’s OK because “racism exists only in the South”, which is a common belief among some liberals in the Northeast. South Carolina, if anything, knows of its horrible past and is trying to make up for it, despite the redneck population, which fortunately is shrinking as people become better-educated.

So what if you’re a registered Independent? That just means that you are neither a Republican nor a Democrat. Perhaps the Democratic Party is too corporate and capitalist for you?

Clemson is a very nice and very well-educated area. It’s certainly not a backwoods area and if someone claims that it is, it shows the lack of knowledge of that person.

Also remember: bigotry against any group (be it Muslims, evangelical Christians, Southerners, Northerners, Hispanic immigrants, native-born whites, etc.) is not acceptable.

Last edited by PuppiesandKittens; 12-31-2017 at 07:45 PM..

Old 12-31-2017, 07:49 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I found numerous studies within a few seconds. For one, “The most racist places in America, according to Google”, from the Washington Post, states that the most racist places are the RURAL Northeast and RURAL South, clustered along the Appalachians and covering wide swaths of Pennsylvania, New York and all the way to Vermont.

I’ve spent a significant part of my life living in super-liberal areas in the Northeast and I have met more overt racists there than I ever have in South Carolina, but certainly few in both places. If you’re a racist in the Northeast, it’s easy to convince yourself that it’s OK because “racism exists only in the South”, which is a common belief among some liberals in the Northeast. South Carolina, if anything, knows of its horrible past and is trying to make up for it, despite the redneck population, which fortunately is shrinking as people become better-educated.

So what if you’re a registered Independent? That just means that you are neither a Republican nor a Democrat. Perhaps the Democratic Party is too corporate and capitalist for you?

I’m a Libertarian because I was and am turned off by racist Donald Trump. Where is he from?

Clemson is a very nice and very well-educated area. It’s certainly not a backwoods area and if someone claims that it is, it shows the lack of knowledge of that person.

Also remember: bigotry against any group (be it Muslims, evangelical Christians, Southerners, Northerners, Hispanic immigrants, native-born whites, etc.) is not acceptable, regardless of the target, and a bigoted liberal is still...a bigot.
I agree. Clemson is a nice and well-educated area. My comments were in response to the assertion that there aren't any racists in Clemson, which is absurd, and I stand by that.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
My comments were in response to the assertion that there aren't any racists in Clemson, which is absurd, and I stand by that.
Nobody ever made that assertion on this thread. I never said there are no racists in Clemson. I said there is no evidence of racists in Clemson. When I make an assertion, I try to have a basis for it.

My point is that you have no evidence of racism in Clemson yet you are still making that assertion. You also said that racism in Clemson and the south in general is worse than other areas, another asssertion for which you provided no evidence.

It is weird to me that a person who lives in 1.5 hours away from Clemson is thinking about white racism in Clemson.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Nobody ever made that assertion on this thread.

My point is that you have no evidence of racism in Clemson yet you are still making that assertion. You also said that racism in Clemson and the south in general is worse than other areas, another asssertion for which you provided no evidence.

It is weird to me that a person who lives in 1.5 hours away from Clemson is thinking about white racism in Clemson.
For the umpteenth time, I SAID there is some racism in Clemson, but I do not know how pervasive it is.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
For the umpteenth time, I SAID there is some racism in Clemson, but I do not know how pervasive it is.
You haven't provided any evidence for 'some racism' in Clemson. You are making an assertion about people in a town that you don't live in.

There isn't any reason to assert there is 'some racism' in Clemson unless your point is the racism in Clemson is more prevalent than elsewhere. You also made that assertion on this topic. The places you claim are non-racist are cities with a political reputation that matches up with your politics.

WHen people say Clemson is a safe area, they aren't saying there have never been any crimes there.

I note again that you agreed with a person who said white racism in the south is a major problem. You are clearly trying to back off of that now.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
You haven't provided any evidence for 'some racism' in Clemson. You are making an assertion about people in a town that you don't live in.

There isn't any reason to point out there is 'some racism' in Clemson unless your point is the racism in Clemson is more prevalent than elsewhere.

WHen people say Clemson is a safe area, they aren't saying there have never been any crimes there.

I note again that you agreed with a person who said white racism in the south is a major problem. You are clearly trying to back off of that now.
Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Happy New Year!
It is good cheer to accuse people you don't know in Clemson of racism? You don't have any evidence for your claim but you keep repeating it.

I saw on a Birmingham thread you imply people living in a nice suburb of Birmingham are racist. Again, you provide no evidence of your claim. You are speculating.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
It is good cheer to accuse people you don't know in Clemson of racism? You don't have any evidence for your claim but you keep repeating it.
Its absurd and naive to assert that there is not one racist in Clemson. If you go back and read your posts (before you modify or delete them), you will see that's exactly what you've done.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Its absurd and naive to assert that there is not one racist in Clemson. If you go back and read your posts (before you modify or delete them), you will see that's exactly what you've done.
I never made that claim. I said that you have no evidence of it.

I can just as easily speculate that you are racist because some people are racist. Anybody can speculate. I don't think the OP was asking for speculation from people who have never lived in Clemson.

What motivates you to talk about racism in a small town that is 1.5 hours away from you, especially given you can't seem to cite even one anecdote of racism in Clemson against black people?

That is what seems absurd to me.

I think a big problem in this country right now is people making baseless assertions of racism.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-31-2017 at 09:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina