Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 09:33 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,425,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Branch Betty View Post
While I can't give you the bonafide opinion on the presence or non-presence of racism you are looking for as I am white, I hope that your daughter enjoys her visit to Clemson as much as mine did two years ago. With her academic record, be sure to look into the Honors College! It is a wonderful program that offers many perks and has made my child's first two years of college a wonderful and rewarding experience. I can tell you that she has made friends from diverse racial, SO and income level backgrounds and she has even become an Honors Ambassador to so she can share her experiences with visiting HS students. Best of luck on your college search!
Wow, amazing! Thanks! I know you are so proud. Have you and your daughter looked into Winthrop University? I think we are going to visit that campus as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 05:47 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Wow, amazing! Thanks! I know you are so proud. Have you and your daughter looked into Winthrop University? I think we are going to visit that campus as well.
My alma mater...it's grown so much until I almost don't recognize pictures of the place. It's definitely worth a visit.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:52 AM

149 posts, read 165,541 times
Quote:
We did not officially visit as her top choices came down to U of SC, Chapel Hill and Clemson. However we were at Winthrop for quite a few HS graduations including hers, as our rural NC county does not have a facility large enough for such events. Winthrop has a beautiful campus and Rock Hill is a great mid size town!

Old 02-01-2018, 03:44 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
Winthrop also has a building named after Ben 'Pitchfork' Tillman if that is an issue for a prospective student. The building was designed by same architecture firm that designed Tillman Hall at Clemson and is similar with a tower.

It looks like there have been some protests, and vandalism of Tillman Hall at Winthrop, over the name, similar to Clemson.

Here is Winthrop's page on Tillman Hall https://www.winthrop.edu/virtualtour...r.aspx?id=3165

Old 02-01-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Branch Betty View Post
We did not officially visit as her top choices came down to U of SC, Chapel Hill and Clemson. However we were at Winthrop for quite a few HS graduations including hers, as our rural NC county does not have a facility large enough for such events. Winthrop has a beautiful campus and Rock Hill is a great mid size town!
I was looking into Rock Hill specifically a golf course community that has nicely priced homes where the golf course is right in the backyards. The houses are newly built but half the price of the houses on golf courses in Fort Mill. I incurred as to why that would be. Is it true that Rock Hill has a lot more crime than Fort Mill?

Old 02-01-2018, 09:29 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Quote:
I was looking into Rock Hill specifically a golf course community that has nicely priced homes where the golf course is right in the backyards. The houses are newly built but half the price of the houses on golf courses in Fort Mill. I incurred as to why that would be. Is it true that Rock Hill has a lot more crime than Fort Mill?
I don't know if saying it has "a lot more crime" is accurate. Rock Hill is an established city while Fort Mill is a large bedroom community. Also neither has accurate city limits, which can skew online data. Fort Mill is a substanitally larger than 15,000 people, but regardless, York County is safe and offers a good QOL.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:25 AM

5,719 posts, read 4,696,002 times
Quote:
Fort Mill median income is 50% higher than Rock Hill. But I highly doubt the crime around the golf course will be high. Have you looked at an online crime reporting tool to view the particular neighborhood?

Old 02-09-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Fort Mill median income is 50% higher than Rock Hill. But I highly doubt the crime around the golf course will be high. Have you looked at an online crime reporting tool to view the particular neighborhood?

I used this site

https://www.crimemapping.com/map/agency/481

If my daughter goes to school there as well as my middle school-aged daughter. I will have to consider the city as a whole. I also need to be close to the VA for treatments. I appreciate the information. I plan to come down soon and talk to people in both areas to get a better feel. The area of Ft Mills is only 20 minutes from campus either way.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:32 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,697 times
Quote:
I used this site

If my daughter goes to school there as well as my middle school-aged daughter. I will have to consider the city as a whole. I also need to be close to the VA for treatments. I appreciate the information. I plan to come down soon and talk to people in both areas to get a better feel. The area of Ft Mills is only 20 minutes from campus either way.
It might be better to ask about Rock Hill in a separate thread.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:02 AM

5,719 posts, read 4,696,002 times
Quote:
I used this site

I'd personally pick Fort Mill myself, but that is based on biases I carry from the 70s when Rock Hill was a redneck cesspool.

Visiting is always the best choice and I find driving prospective neighborhoods on weekends gives you a better indicator of the populace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina