Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 07:44 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
To add, ClemVegas, I have done classwork at Clemson U, on campus. It’s not a racist place.

Also, not sure why you’re tying conservatism to racism. I don’t view Donald Trump as a traditional conservative; he was a Democrat until recently, and his positions (if he has any) are all over the place. He is a racist because he states disparaging things about races of people and tries to treat them worse than others based on race.

Ok, why don't you go to talk about DJT on the Politics forum? It has nothing to do with this topic and I would think everybody in the country already has an opinion on Trump at this point.

I'm not trying to tie conservatism to racism. I was simply pointing out that you are indirectly calling DJT's supporters racists, and many of them live in the south. I think you understand that is what you were doing. I think he won every southern state except Virginia.

I'm skeptical that you were a GOP voter, given your past comments about the GOP regarding mass transit and you also were talking about how you look at 'hate maps'. I don't think there are any GOP generated 'hate maps' out there. That sounds like the SLPC, not a conservative outfit.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-19-2018 at 08:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 08:02 AM

1,279 posts, read 853,395 times
ClemVegas, again, you’re the one saying that Trump voters are racists. Some of them are, but so were some supporters of other candidates.

Did you look at online hate maps? They seem to show that bigotry is concentrated among the Appalachian regions, deep into the Northeast.

You can doubt anything you want but with my posts, you can se why I got fed up with the GOP and left: policies that were not logically consistent plus racist Donald Trump.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
ClemVegas, again, you’re the one saying that Trump voters are racists. Some of them are, but so were some supporters of other candidates.

Did you look at online hate maps? They seem to show that bigotry is concentrated among the Appalachian regions, deep into the Northeast.

You can doubt anything you want but with my posts, you can se why I got fed up with the GOP and left: policies that were not logically consistent plus racist Donald Trump.
Ok, so there are a lot of Trump voters who don't notice that he's a racist as you do? Why not just admit you are calling conservatives racist?

I know you are the guy out of Charlotte who has a problem with Greenville for being 'too conservative'. You've posted about Greenville a lot despite not living in Greenville, and your posts were generally negative in nature. There is only one person who does that. You've only had few posts on another city and they were about Charlotte or Fort Mill near Charlotte.

If you want convince people you are conservative or GOP voter, it doesn't make much sense to reference SPLC hate maps or talk about mass transit.

It is weird how you were calling that Lizap person a 'liberal bigot' but now you are trying to use simply living in Appalachia as sufficient evidence of bigotry. She was trying to say southerners were more bigoted than people in other regions and you are saying people in Appalachia are more bigoted than people in other regions.

The Appalachians run through SC near Clemson.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-19-2018 at 08:35 AM..

Old 01-19-2018, 08:36 AM

ClemVegas, again, YOU are the one calling conservatives racist. Traditional conservatives support individual rights and equality and are anti-racism. Donald Trump is not a conservative; he is a nasty egomaniac whose policy positions are all over the map and has no problem supporting Big Government and identity politics, neither of which is a conservative position.

Plenty of Trump voters simply couldn’t tolerate Hillary Clinton. And much of Trump’s racism hadn’t surfaced before the election.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
ClemVegas, again, YOU are the one calling conservatives racist. Traditional conservatives support individual rights and equality and are anti-racism. Donald Trump is not a conservative; he is a nasty egomaniac whose policy positions are all over the map and has no problem supporting Big Government and identity politics, neither of which is a conservative position.
I would say if you look at hate maps by SPLC, you are all about identity politics. Accusing Trump of racism is identity politics. I haven't seen DJT try to take rights away from black people and other minorities. I've seen reports that black unemployment is the lowest it has been in a long time.

Anyway, moving on. What you think about DJT has nothing to do with living in Clemson and this topic.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:47 AM

Clemson University ranks in Top 20 in graduating African-American engineers | Clemson University News and Stories, South Carolina

I came across this article that indicates Clemson is top 20 in graduating black engineers. It was ranked 12th after excluding HBCs.

The people who try to make Clemson out as racist because of Tillman won't mention this.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:49 AM

I’m looking at hate maps published in the Washington Post. The SPLC is a leftist group that I ignore.

I am accusing Trump as an individual of being a racist. He is banning groups of people from entire countries from traveling to the US, even though they had visas. That isn’t taking away a right?

Old 01-19-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I’m looking at hate maps published in the Washington Post. The SPLC is a leftist group that I ignore.

I am accusing Trump as an individual of being a racist. He is banning groups of people from entire countries from traveling to the US, even though they had visas. That isn’t taking away a right?
Go talk about the scandalous DJT on the Politics forum. He has no correlation to living in Clemson. Everybody has an opinion about his travel ban already so I don't see any reason to discuss it. I think fair people understand that he is concerned about terrorism, which can kill Americans of all races, as it did on 9-11. It is not racist to be concerned about terrorism. And it not surprising that a man who was living in NYC when 9-11 happened takes terrorism seriously.

I never heard of GOP voters that trust WaPo. Pretty sure WaPo has cited SPLC in the past. It seems like you are 'in character' as a person who was voting GOP but left because of 'racist' Trump. That seems contrived to me.

I wouldn't think a racist president would support moving the American embassy in Israel to Jerusalem, to recognize it as the capital of Israel. He also asked the Chinese president to get those black UCLA basketball players out of jail. They were looking at 10 years in a Chinese labor camp if he had not interceded on their behalf. That isn't something he had to do and it appears he receives little credit for it.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-19-2018 at 09:33 AM..

Old 01-19-2018, 01:11 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
Quote:
KayAnn246, I hope that your daughter visits and seriously considers Clemson. She sounds like a superb student and a great asset to whichever school she attends.

I've lived up and down the East Coast, and I think that educated circles in the South (which are growing) are actually the best places to be for avoiding racism because educated people in the South, which would include residents of Clemson, are well aware of the region's horrible racist history and sincerely want to make amends and do better. A lot of people in the South are extra-cautious about not being racist. People in the South are generally nice to strangers, too, and the "forced civility" in the South helps ensure that people get along and treat each other decently.

One of the most vocal and crude racists in the country is from Queens, NY; too bad his current home of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is south of the Mason-Dixon line. At least it's only temporary.
Thank you. I lived in NC for 15 years due to being in the Army at Ft Bragg and working in the Raleigh/ Durham area at Fidelity. I've never run into any issues in NC. I have traveled to SC and stayed in Fort Jackson, Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach. I struggle to see she want to stay and go to U of M or Michigan State because some of our family is still here but we really love NC and SC.

If people asked me if there are racist in Michigan (born and raised here), I would definitely say yes. It is not an outright display but it's there. There is racial tension at U of M and Michigan State so there are one-offs in some places but nothing that can't be dealt with in a constructive way most of the time. I've attended UNC, Villanova, Fayetteville, Boston U and Texas A&M for work and Army training so I'm aware of my surrounding.

But with her being so young and vulnerable and not having the life experience I have, of course, I worry like some parents.

In fact, I also worry about the sexual and violent crime that takes place on college campuses as well. But all I can do is give her the tools and knowledge to handle the situations. My younger daughter actually experiences a sexual act in elementary by a boy, believe it or not. I don't want to call it harassment because the kids are so young. But I felt the school district handled it well though. So thanks for the kind word and information. Are there other top schools in SC that I should consider?

Old 01-30-2018, 10:58 AM

149 posts, read 165,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
This is a very insightful discussion yet at times not constructive. My daughter plans to visit Clemson as one of the universities to consider. We are African American. I will not knowingly expose her to a racist environment because it can be a distraction in many aspects.

I attended UNC, Villanova, for a short time and Fayetteville State but for personal reasons she has to attend school for her undergrad in SC. We live 20 minutes from U of M now. So while I believe there are racial issues in most major public universities, it is more present in some than others.

With the many things she has accomplished, G.P at 3.8, NHS, working with the Humane Society for 3 years etc. I would hate to put her in a school that does not do her service or justice and she feels that she can not or does not want to serve her school because of racial, income or sex bias.

I will add more emphasis on black people's opinion because we can feel and spot racism. It's not an outright display. It is more of the people in a leadership position that has the authority to shape power over another. It's no longer most racist that walk around with KKK hoods or Neo-Nazi tattoos. It's people that you would never think to have a prejudice bone in their body. Same with sexist and bigots. Black, Hispanic and other minorities have sadly been taught and experienced racism in many forms. There is no better teacher than experience. We plan to visit the campus on a tour this summer. So I appreciate the insight!
While I can't give you the bonafide opinion on the presence or non-presence of racism you are looking for as I am white, I hope that your daughter enjoys her visit to Clemson as much as mine did two years ago. With her academic record, be sure to look into the Honors College! It is a wonderful program that offers many perks and has made my child's first two years of college a wonderful and rewarding experience. I can tell you that she has made friends from diverse racial, SO and income level backgrounds and she has even become an Honors Ambassador to so she can share her experiences with visiting HS students. Best of luck on your college search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina