Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 02:25 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,310,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
You moved to Hendersonville which looks run down to me in general outside of the small tourist oriented downtown area.
FYI, we are building in Flat Rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 02:28 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,412,138 times
Flat Rock isn't far from Hendersonville. Western NC is pretty economically depressed so I was surprised you couldn't live in the relatively booming Greenville if you could live in western NC. I believe western NC is much more white than Greenville.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Ok, I'm just pointing out there are people like you who would construe your disdain for Highway 25 area of Greenville as implicit racism.

I have only see Confederate flags in Clemson one time in 21 years, and those people appear to be traveling through town and stopped at Clemson's famous bar in an old gas station.
I honestly had no idea who lives in this area. We just pass through here on our way to Hendersonville from the interstate.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Flat Rock isn't far from Hendersonville. Western NC is pretty economically depressed so I was surprised you couldn't live in Greenville if you could live in western NC. I believe western NC is much more white than Greenville.
As I said in another post, I really like downtown Greenville. It is beautiful and very well done..

Old 12-31-2017, 02:35 PM

Ok, I get you like downtown Greenville. That isn't my point.

My point is there are people like you who talk about racism a lot who would have construed your comments about the highway 25 area as racist, especially because you then chose to move to an economically depressed area that is also more white than Greenville.

If you had moved to a posh area like Hilton Head, it would have made more sense to me. To me, Hendersonville is basically like Laurens but with a downtown area that brings in some tourists due to nearby Chimney Rock and other mountain areas.

I'm not an expert on white racists but I could see white racists having a disdain for the Highway 25 area of Greenville.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Ok, I get you like downtown Greenville. That isn't my point.

My point is there are people like you who talk about racism a lot who would have construed your comments about highway 25 as racist.
It can only be racist if I said it was run-down because minorities live in that area. I had no idea, until you said so. We never stop in this area and are rushing to get to Hendersonville. I know of many non-minority areas that are just as run-down. I hope you're not implying that monorities live in run-down areas like this.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
It can only be racist if I said it was run-down because minorities live in that area. I had no idea, until you said so. We never stop in this area and are rushing to get to Hendersonville. I know of many non-minority areas that are just as run-down. I hope you're not implying that monorities live in run-down areas like this.
THe point is you then moved to an area that is at least as rundown as west Greenville but also more white.

It seems like if you had a problem with rundown areas, you would have moved to a posh area like Hilton Head, not to western NC. Appalachia is kind of known for being rundown.

I hear people talking a lot about 'implicit bias' and I think most of them would see implicit bias in that.

The reason that I point this out is you accused people in Clemson that you don't know of including a significant number of white racists. You provided no evidence of this.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
THe point is you then moved to an area that is at least as rundown as west Greenville but also more white.

It seems like if you had a problem with rundown areas, you would have moved to a posh area like Hilton Head, not to western NC. Appalachia is kind of known for being rundown.

I hear people talking a lot about 'implicit bias' and I think most of them would see implicit bias in that.
We decided on the Hendersonville area because of the mountains, the downtown area, and the convenience of the area, being relatively close to Asheville, Charlotte, AND Greenville. We like mountains better than beach..

Old 12-31-2017, 02:50 PM

Ok but you made a big deal out of the highway 25 area being rundown as being the main reason you didn't move to Greenville despite loving the downtown area.

You could have lived in nice suburbs several miles away from the rundown areas in Greenville.

I think you could find a mountain area more posh than Hendersonville. CdA, Bend, Vail, etc.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:

The reason that I point this out is you accused people in Clemson that you don't know of including a significant number of white racists. You provided no evidence of this.
I never said there was a "significant" number of racists in Clemson. I said there are racists in Clemson, which there are. You said there aren't any racists in Clemson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina