Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 12:25 PM

55 posts, read 129,819 times

Advertisements

I could see something similar between Columbia and Sumter: CAE -> downtown Columba / USC -> Fort Jackson -> Sumter / Shaw AFB. There are tons of threads on here asking about working at Shaw AFB and living in Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 12:33 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Looking at that map, it would be an enormous waste of resources to create a Clemson-Anderson line. That wouldn't get a single rider.

I think the key would be to focus on Greenville-Spartanburg. They're aready identified as one city by most who aren't from the state (in part because of the airport), and there's really no denying that there is a connection between the two. A commuter rail going between downtown Greenville & downtown Spartanburg, surrounded by some transit-oriented development, would do wonders for those two cities.

I think at this time, this is the only area that can make it work. The populations outside of these two cities are too de-centralized at the moment. If I were running this line, I'd start with only four stops: DT G'Ville --> G'Ville Airport --> Greer/GSP --> DT Spartanburg. Conveniences like being able to get to the airport are key.
I think Greenville Airport stop you propose should be moved closer to the TD Convention Center and named as such, as that would be your users as opposed to small airport traffic. CU-ICAR is a big employment area and would count as an initial stop, even on such a limited stopping system. Plus, it could serve as a park and ride station perhaps.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:26 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I think Greenville Airport stop you propose should be moved closer to the TD Convention Center and named as such, as that would be your users as opposed to small airport traffic. CU-ICAR is a big employment area and would count as an initial stop, even on such a limited stopping system. Plus, it could serve as a park and ride station perhaps.
I didn't realize the CU iCar thing was a big employment area...do you have any idea how many work there? Maybe the map could look like a squiggly line then...coming from DT G'Ville, down under the airport to serve iCar, then up above GSP to serve GSP/Greer, then over to Spartanburg.

Is downtown Spartanburg anything like downtown Greenville? As in, does it have the similar small, charming roads?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:13 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Interesting perspective. This sounds very similar to the Raleigh-Durham plan.
I am not sure it is comparable to RDU. Raleigh has the research triangle with over 50k employees. There is nothing in the upstate with that type of density in one place.

Additionally, I don't think rail between the two cities (greenville/spartanburg) is feasible in the current environment. Neither city has a large downtown base needed to support commuter rail. But, if gas prices rise enough, the dynamics may change.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:18 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
What about this? Not sure how feasible/realistic it is, but whatever

Greenville-Spartanburg CR

Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
What about this? Not sure how feasible/realistic it is, but whatever

Greenville-Spartanburg CR
I don't see the density necessary to support rail anywhere in this area unless gas prices rise substantially. There are not enough large employment concentrations in this area to justify funding for a rail project. Now, someone may make this a pet project and get funding, much like the bridge to nowhere, but, it would not qualify for federal funding.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 PM

58 posts, read 208,365 times
I think that if there was a line that went from Charlotte to Columbia it would be utilized quite a bit. I commute from Rock Hill to Columbia daily, and on my commutes I see many of the same vehicles everyday. I would use it if it stopped in Rock Hill. It would be great if that line made stops in Chester and Winnsboro as well. I-77 is 10 miles away from those places, and it could become a primary route for people living in those cities. Not to mention unemployment rates are very high in both places. If there are trains that can take these workers to Charlotte and Columbia where there are more jobs, then it would be a huge boom to these two cities.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdinfjmale View Post
I think that if there was a line that went from Charlotte to Columbia it would be utilized quite a bit. I commute from Rock Hill to Columbia daily, and on my commutes I see many of the same vehicles everyday. I would use it if it stopped in Rock Hill. It would be great if that line made stops in Chester and Winnsboro as well. I-77 is 10 miles away from those places, and it could become a primary route for people living in those cities. Not to mention unemployment rates are very high in both places. If there are trains that can take these workers to Charlotte and Columbia where there are more jobs, then it would be a huge boom to these two cities.
Adding to your comments, CATS plans to take the Lynx trains into SC at some point (way in the future), could be a good transition into a Columbia commuter rail line somewhere in Rcok Hill. The wide median on I77 would be a perfect place to put in rail. Granted, this will not happen anytime soon.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:03 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdinfjmale View Post
A Columbia to Charlotte rail line would be a boon for Columbians. They would quickly be able to access a solid airport in Charlotte, good shopping and restaurants in Charlotte, professional sports in Charlotte, etc, etc.....all the things Columbia is lacking.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
A Columbia to Charlotte rail line would be a boon for Columbians. They would quickly be able to access a solid airport in Charlotte, good shopping and restaurants in Charlotte, professional sports in Charlotte, etc, etc.....all the things Columbia is lacking.
Exact same could be said of your hometown, Greenville. Of course, there is no Sticky Fingers on Main St but, I am sure you would find something else. And, as an added bonus, you would actually be able to fly somewhere direct, it's a great thing. Almost forgot, you would be able to see true professional sports, not 5A high school baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina