Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 01:00 PM

286 posts, read 1,478,001 times

Advertisements

Lake Robinson may not be labeled on the online map sources.

It is the lake shown about 3-5 miles northwest of Lake Cunningham.

We're building about 3-4 miles northwest of Lake Robinson.

When we were choosing a place to live, we considered that we didn't want to be in the real hussle of the city, but wanted to get there in under 20 minutes when we needed to (i.e. work, shopping, recreation). We also considered that our recreational activities were mostly outdoor activities in or near the mountains. We found that the areas north of Wade Hampton (hwy29) and south of Highway 414; west of hwy101 and east of 276, fit our desires the best. Apparently it fits many peoples desires, as it is one of the new hotspots of the area.

I don't have any real data to back up my comments, but in a nutshell, Atlanta is "crazy big".........Charlotte is 10-15 years behind Atlanta and Greenville is 10-15 years behind Charlotte. So, Greenville is 20-30 years from "crazy big".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 02:34 PM

90 posts, read 443,281 times
Our city will grow, but we will not be looking at having those tall, obtursive, skyscrapers that Atlanta and Charlotte have. Right now, the city will not allow it. No new building (being built downtown) can be larger than the BB&T building. It's on the books. Now, one day, we may get a mayor in office that will try and get city council to change that, but for now, we are safe. Our growth will not be as harsh as Atlanta's has been. Atlanta is just another world now.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:45 AM

22 posts, read 115,090 times
So how tall is th BB&T building?....So Greenville sounds pretty nice, but what is there to do exactly? Clemson is the closest sports venue it looks like. Any major performing arts venues? (The wife likes that sort of thing) Zoos, aquariums, etc.?? How nice are the golf courses? Any PGA courses?

Old 03-22-2007, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,689 times
I'd like to get in on this because I've been contemplating Greenville. I lived in Charlotte for one year and Atlanta for 3. I love Atlanta except the traffic and the airport- the people, business/networking/professional opportunites are great. Sports are big and nightlife is present...though sometimes you have to search. I found housing to be relatively reasonable in the suburbs and more expensive as you move closer in the city; thats the big thing, to get in the city. Now there is a new home being built on every corner you can possibly find and everywhere is crowded-thats not to say there are not very nice upscale places and golf communities, but the big yards come at a price. Keep in mind this is a young single professionals view on things.

Charlotte is up and coming. It feels like a city following in Atlanta's footsteps as someone mentioned, unfortunately they aren't paying attention because they would have started building a better highway system. Growth is apparent and there are new developments everywhere. On the positive, everyone seems to have come for a job; the city revolves around Bank of America and Wachovia. There is plenty of shopping and a lot of nice new mixed use areas popping up. Very clean. Like Atlanta, most people seem to be from up north, but there is more of an underlying country attitude here. Its like a city being developed by non-city people. There are a lot of upscale areas and housing costs are on par with Atlanta. Cost of living here is one of the higest in the state and there is always talk about potential property tax hikes (there is no homestead exemption like in GA). Charlotte also lacks a big name university which I believe draws diversity and business but apparently UNCC is working on that (though they'll never be UNC). Charlotte is also a very active city in terms of sports and stuff like that. Charlotte vs Atlanta may be a draw, advantage Atlanta. Charlotte is still finding itself.

Now I am curious about Greenville. I want to live in a big city that feels like a big city (maybe thats my problem with Atlanta and Charlotte..doesn't FEEL big) but I'm sticking to the region and going where the job takes me. The no tall building comment saddens me How are things like shopping, diversity, nightlife?

Old 03-22-2007, 08:02 PM

286 posts, read 1,478,001 times
I don't think Greenville will ever feel like a "big city". It is going to grow and become congested, but will always be a country attitude place.

If Atlanta didn't give you the metropolitan feel you wanted, then there may be very few cities in the country that would.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:23 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDonthemove View Post
So how tall is th BB&T building?....So Greenville sounds pretty nice, but what is there to do exactly? Clemson is the closest sports venue it looks like. Any major performing arts venues? (The wife likes that sort of thing) Zoos, aquariums, etc.?? How nice are the golf courses? Any PGA courses?
There's the Peace Center for the Performing Arts (excellent venue), the new West End Field, which is home to the Greenville Drive minor league baseball team, the Greenville Zoo (a nice, local attraction), Falls Park, and the foothills and lakes in the Upstate region. Not to mention the various annual events that happen year round (Artisphere, Fall for Greenville, USPRO Cycling Tournament, etc.). Right now, the Upstate is thinking about trying to lure a PGA tournament.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
There's the Peace Center for the Performing Arts (excellent venue), the new West End Field, which is home to the Greenville Drive minor league baseball team, the Greenville Zoo (a nice, local attraction), Falls Park, and the foothills and lakes in the Upstate region. Not to mention the various annual events that happen year round (Artisphere, Fall for Greenville, USPRO Cycling Tournament, etc.). Right now, the Upstate is thinking about trying to lure a PGA tournament.
I'm surprised with all the really nice courses in the area that the tour doesn't make a regular stop there. The Cliffs courses would be a really nice venue for it. I'm happy about the minor league stadium. Any plans for professional teams coming in? Is there anything in terms of ciy life that promotes comradery with the people? like sports for example. I'm from Ohio and we Ohioans live and die with the Buckeyes. Anything like that there?

Old 03-25-2007, 12:18 PM

513 posts, read 576,529 times
I will try to respond to some of the questions, I have lived here most of my life. Gville does have the annual Nationwide tour BMW Charity Pro-Am golf tournament, with playes like Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, Kevin Costner, Wayne Gretzsky and Nationwide players. Additionally, Gary Player is moving to a new Community outside of Travler's Rest, and is planning another big tournamnet.

Don't forget about the BiLo center, the arena. Holds about 16,000. We have had several minor leaugue teams go under due mostly to poor management, could get some more though. Have lots of shows, concerts, circuses, etc. Peace center is very nice, and has many shows and concerts including some Broadway shows. Also have the Greenville Symphony Orchestra, (said to be one of the best in the Southeast) Little Theater, Childrens Theater, Museums, Governor's School for Arts and Humanities.

As for Growth and "city feel", it does not yet feel like a big city, though that is changing. Scores of major construction projects, housing, condos, offices, Clemson Internation Center for Automotive Research, New shopping centers, hotels, banks, on and on. Someone mentioned a height restriction for DT, and I have never heard of that before. I understand that there are a couple of planners who are considering new state tallest towers for DT right now. There are several mid rise buildings under constuction or awaiting final approval now, including The Pinnalce on Main, and The Peacock Hotel, both will be about 240 feet tall. A number of other building have been proposed or are being planned.

Greenville County is home to about 417,000 per the 2006 Census estimates, with the region having about 1.3M. With all of the major projects going on now, that will continue to climb quickly.

Do have a small zoo, I haven't been there in years, but it is supposed to be nice. Clemson sports nearby, with Furman being right outside of town. Some minor league sports in Gville, with possibility of more coming. The city has big tourism plans in place, and plans for expansion of parks, Roper Mtn Science center, and the like. The county school district (largest in the state) has spent a billion doallars over the past 5 years to build or significantly redo nearly 80 schools.

There is a lot going on. You can also visit www.urbanplanet.org, click on forums; south; south carolina; and then greenville for all the development info you could want.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:25 PM

Does Greenville have any specific bad areas I should try to avoid? And how do you think the expansion of the City has trended as far as geography. It seems like Greenville, Greer, and spartanburg may some day run together. We have that up in Ohio with Dayton, Middletown, Cincinatti and talk about your sprawl problems with that set up. I think I would much rather it take off toward the southwest and west toward the lakes.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:02 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
I will try to respond to some of the questions, I have lived here most of my life. Gville does have the annual Nationwide tour BMW Charity Pro-Am golf tournament, with playes like Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, Kevin Costner, Wayne Gretzsky and Nationwide players. Additionally, Gary Player is moving to a new Community outside of Travler's Rest, and is planning another big tournamnet.

Don't forget about the BiLo center, the arena. Holds about 16,000. We have had several minor leaugue teams go under due mostly to poor management, could get some more though. Have lots of shows, concerts, circuses, etc. Peace center is very nice, and has many shows and concerts including some Broadway shows. Also have the Greenville Symphony Orchestra, (said to be one of the best in the Southeast) Little Theater, Childrens Theater, Museums, Governor's School for Arts and Humanities.

As for Growth and "city feel", it does not yet feel like a big city, though that is changing. Scores of major construction projects, housing, condos, offices, Clemson Internation Center for Automotive Research, New shopping centers, hotels, banks, on and on. Someone mentioned a height restriction for DT, and I have never heard of that before. I understand that there are a couple of planners who are considering new state tallest towers for DT right now. There are several mid rise buildings under constuction or awaiting final approval now, including The Pinnalce on Main, and The Peacock Hotel, both will be about 240 feet tall. A number of other building have been proposed or are being planned.

Greenville County is home to about 417,000 per the 2006 Census estimates, with the region having about 1.3M. With all of the major projects going on now, that will continue to climb quickly.

Do have a small zoo, I haven't been there in years, but it is supposed to be nice. Clemson sports nearby, with Furman being right outside of town. Some minor league sports in Gville, with possibility of more coming. The city has big tourism plans in place, and plans for expansion of parks, Roper Mtn Science center, and the like. The county school district (largest in the state) has spent a billion doallars over the past 5 years to build or significantly redo nearly 80 schools.

There is a lot going on. You can also visit www.urbanplanet.org, click on forums; south; south carolina; and then greenville for all the development info you could want.
Now all we need is Skyliner, RestedTraveler, and everybody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina