Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 09:41 PM

28 posts, read 72,746 times

Advertisements

Well, I am back from my trip to Pierre and seeing my life long friend for the first time in 47 years, and let me tell you, it was wonderful. We could not have had a better time. We went to all our remembered places and found some new ones. Our daughters became good friends, too. I almost didn't go. My dad, 88 years old, passed away on Sunday, Oct. 26th unexpectedly. His funeral was Wednesday and I had to fly out Thursday. But my husband and brothers insisted that I come anyway. My mother passed away a year and a half ago and my dad has missed her every day. they were married for 68 years so my confort is knowing they are together again. My daughter has a good take on it...my mother loved to talk!! so my daughter said, you know how they say that a year on earth is like a day in heaven and that Nanny had been so busy talking to all her friends in Heaven that she had just realized that Daddy wasn't with her and she called him to come join her. Thank you all for letting me be a part of your forum and some day, I plan to come back to South Dakota and bring all my family with me. It is a beautiful state!!

Last edited by Jammie; 11-05-2008 at 08:19 AM..

Old 11-05-2008, 08:21 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,454,401 times
What a nice thing to say and I'm so glad your trip went well. Just come on back any time because you and your family are very welcome here.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:08 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Glad you enjoyed Pierre. Not a Pierre native but have been here for 9 years. Its nice to hear good reports about this town.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:11 AM

Boy am I glad we flew out of Pierre Monday morning. I would have loved to see some snow (we hardly ever get any here in Louisiana) but I don't think I could handle what y'all are getting now. We were at Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills and Badlands Sunday and the weather was beautiful, 70 degrees. We couldn't have asked for better. Saw lots of deer while driving through the badlands. I talked to my friend earlier this evening and she said they had not seen any snow then but it was forecast to come in later tonight. she lives in south-eastern SD. I pray you all make it through this okay. I also want to say how nice everyone was to us during our visit. Everyone we met was friendly and helpful. I accidently left my camera at the customer service desk at the Wal Mart in Pierre and when I realized it, I called back and after identifying it, they told me they had it and I could pick it up anytime. How often would that happen?!!

God bless you all.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:43 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,454,401 times
So glad you had a wonderful trip and that you made it back home safely. I'm sure you enjoyed it much more last weekend then you would right now.

In answer to your question about your camera~that's really not rare at all so you'll have something new to get used to.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:52 AM

Just sitting here at work wishing I was back in Pierre. We had such a good time. My friend and I got pictures of ourselves at some of the places we used to go (my daughter's memory card in her camera had over 500 shots on it, lol) The State Theater- we used to walk there from Riggs Trailer Park, which part of it is still there, don't know what name it goes by now. It is on the north side of Airport Road. (We got pictures there also) We were approx 7 to 9 years old when we did all of our walks in Pierre. After we left our homes, we would put on lipstick, that we snuck out with, and the lady at the theater would always ask us if we were sure we weren't older than we said. It was so nice of her to play along with two silly girls! We found the Corner Drug building, and I was glad to note that it is a registered Historial site. I found that the museum I remember being across from the State Capital is now a Naval Memorial (I think that's right) The State Capital is as beautiful as I remember it being. We got there about 5:45 PM and had the whole thing to ourselves. We found Griffin Park. does anyone know if that is a new pool? We figure it probably is but aren't sure. The park seems much smaller now than I remember it. There is still a lot that we didn't get to do, so I know that one day, I hope not another 47 years!! lol, that I'll be back.

Last edited by Pierre Bound; 11-12-2008 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: not intended to be there

Old 11-12-2008, 03:20 PM

The pool at Griffin is older and there is talk of replacing of it.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:47 PM

rjl78, I remember a skating rink at Griffin Park. Was it where the skate board area is now? If I remember correctly I think it was. I started skating there when I was 4 years old and I got to be pretty good if I do say so myself. After moving to Louisiana when I was 9, roller skating had to take it's place but I never liked it as much or got as good at it. Once, when I was in the 3rd grade and we came to Louisiana for Christmas to see my grandparents, my teacher asked me to bring back Spanish Moss. We were worried about whether we would get in trouble having it in the car and crossing state lines (I did that with cotton one time and we were delayed for a while so they could search the car for more...boy was my dad not happy with me!!) We mailed the Spanish Moss back to her. Her name was Mrs. Warder, at Lincoln Elementary. Some of the families we knew in Pierre during the time we lived there (1955 thru 1961) were the Riggs, Heibs, Millers, O'Rears, Lyle's, Shadbolts, Hoenke's (sp), Hall's, Trouts, Wynn's...We lived in Riggs Trailer Park, Bridgeview Trailer Park and on West Dakota. Just some late night rememberances. Hope I haven't bored you all. I would appreciate it if anyone remembers any thing about any of this during that time range, would share their memories with me.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:51 AM

Which clan of Miller's?

Old 12-10-2008, 03:54 PM

There were two sets of Miller families that we knew. The kids I knew were Richard and Myrtle and their mother's name was Viola, I think. They lived in a basement apartment on West Dakota and the Heibs lived in the apartment above them. Richard would be approx 60's and Myrtle would be late 50's to early 60's now. The other Millers lived in Rigg's trailer park and had a son named Nicky. They later moved to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota