Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 01:15 PM

509 posts, read 1,679,840 times

Advertisements

Have been to South Dakota on more than one occasion. I have Nextel. I can never get Nextel to work anywhere in South Dakota. Will retire there in about 1 1/2 years. I guess Nextel is not a phone service to have in South Dakota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 01:58 PM

412 posts, read 957,950 times
Don't know anyone who has Nextel.

I have Verizon Wireless and it works pretty well. There will always be dead spots, especially out in the hinterlands, but generally I don't have trouble getting reception. This is Western SD in the Black Hills area, btw.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:40 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
The only two services provoded in South Dakota are Alltel and Verizon. I hear that T-Mobile and I-Phones work here too, but they roam. Nextel is such a small company that I doubt it works anywhere above Omaha and west of the Cities.

When you cross the Missouri you can't expext much civilization until Rapid City. After that there is almost no civilization until the Pacific!

Old 10-04-2007, 06:46 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
The only two services provoded in South Dakota are Alltel and Verizon. I hear that T-Mobile and I-Phones work here too, but they roam. Nextel is such a small company that I doubt it works anywhere above Omaha and west of the Cities.

When you cross the Missouri you can't expext much civilization until Rapid City. After that there is almost no civilization until the Pacific!
Danny, I'll let that one pass. For now.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:09 PM

3 posts, read 7,854 times
Yup ... AllTel and Verizon are your best bets if you plan to be outside of Sioux Falls. Sprint has coverage in Sioux Falls, but once you get a tish west of town ... nada!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:33 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
I would agree with MamaJ. Verizon and Alltel are the primary cell companies in South Dakota. I would like to add that Sprint is good if one is on the I-29 Corridor from Watertown, through Brookings, Sioux Falls, and Vermillion, and on down to Sioux City, IA. Sprint/Nextel is iffy in most other areas of the state. I have Verizon and had good luck with the service and it is very popular in the Sioux Falls area.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:44 AM

21 posts, read 69,360 times
I have Verizon and love it. Occassional I drop calls when I go thru the hills but not often. I had Cellular One and it never worked. I would suggest Verizon as your best option.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:44 PM

I agree with indigo. I have Alltel and I HATE IT! I go 5 miles west of Rapid City and I roam. I go 5 miles east of Rapid City and I've got NO SERVICE!!!

I don't even want to tell you what Wyoming is like for me!

Old 10-25-2007, 05:26 PM

117 posts, read 526,527 times
I already have Alltel and love them, but I was wondering if anyone besides Verizon even sells service there? I know those two are the most popular, but I'm curious if there are even any other choices?

EDIT: I'm speaking of Rapid City pointedly here. Thanks!

Old 10-25-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a42887 View Post
I already have Alltel and love them, but I was wondering if anyone besides Verizon even sells service there? I know those two are the most popular, but I'm curious if there are even any other choices?

EDIT: I'm speaking of Rapid City pointedly here. Thanks!
T-Mobile and Nextel sell at Best Buy. I doubt they work 5 miles out of Rapid City. I'm sure they roam in town too. Heck, my Alltel phone roams when I am at the mall!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota