Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:36 PM

11 posts, read 49,450 times

Advertisements

Hi, i'll be moving to rapid city hopefully in a couple of months. I go through sprint here in missouri, and they just told me that there is no cell coverage in rapid city from no cell phone carriers at all...i'm shocked and in a little disbelief of this....do you guys not use cell phones in rapid city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 02:46 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
there are plenty of cell phone carriers in Rapid City. Just not Spint evidentally.

I used to have a cell phone that was unlimited in Wyoming. But Rapid City, I would get hit with roaming fees. But I found out, if I set my phone to "No Roaming", I could pick up the towers from Newcastle just fine. haha

Old 02-23-2008, 04:40 PM

72 posts, read 239,115 times
You can use Cellular One for service........we used to live in Custer. There are some dead spots around the hills, but over all you can get good coverage in Rapid City. Enjoy your move!

Old 02-23-2008, 07:31 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
You can use Sprint in Rapid City, but you will have unbelievable roaming charges because you will be using other companies' towers. Most people in Rapid City have Alltel, Verizon, and Boost Mobile. You will most likely have to change to one of these companies when you move up here.

I have a SmartPhone with Alltel and my bill is about $75 per month. That is with the occasional roaming charge in the deep Black Hills and in Wyoming too.

Good luck on the move and I hope you like it here!

Old 02-24-2008, 09:02 AM

72 posts, read 239,115 times
Yep.....Cellular one. NOW it's Alltel. We have a nationwide plan that eliminates roaming. Two phones, about $80 per month. 1000 min per month included.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:02 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
Verizon and Alltel are the main carriers. They both get coverage in Rapid City and have outlets out there. Depends on how much you talk on the phone. Alltel is more generous on their plan minutes but Verizon is a stronger national company. If you have more people who are on Verizon, then the free minutes to minutes may lessen the need for additional minutes. If you have most of your people on other networks such as Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobil, then Alltel would be a better bet with the My-Circle and more generous minutes plans. Sprint would be a more viable option if you are along the I-29 area in South Dakota, but Verizon and Alltel have fine services and have nationwide plans. I prefer Verizon over Alltel myself (due to most of my family and friends being on Verizon), but it is your decision.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:04 PM

193 posts, read 786,133 times
In my experience in having Sprint and Verizon in South Dakota, Verizon is the best choice. We had Sprint for a year in SoDak, and couldn't wait till our contract ran out because our calls were always getting dropped. Switch to Verizon--if you're in a contract you should be able to get out of it since service for Sprint is so horrible in SoDak.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:10 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
My aunt travels to and from Sioux Falls and Rapid City for work. She says that when she had Verizon she would often have no service between the two cities. She switched to Alltel and even though she was roaming, she never lost service. I'd rather have roaming service than no service at all, especially driving across South Dakota!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:48 PM

117 posts, read 526,527 times
Add another vote for Alltel. They have been absolutely great in my travels in SD. My girlfriend's Verizon phone frequently lost service even on major roads / interstates.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:03 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,492,475 times
East River with Verizon, and we are very happy with our service....thre is a dead phone zone pocket by Ft ThOMPSON, along the corp dam and camground....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota