Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 09:57 AM

13 posts, read 29,520 times

Advertisements

I have AT&T and I will be attending Black Hills State University in the Fall. I have read that the coverage is rather shaky at times (but those were posts from two years ago). I checked the coverage map and it says that Spearfish has good coverage in the actual city itself. Was there a recent tower built for AT&T? How good is the service (if anyone has it).

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by JustinGuy418; 02-25-2012 at 10:55 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 11:35 AM

28 posts, read 108,447 times
AT&T is good in Spearfish.

Best coverage through the whole region is along the I-90 corridor. Verison and AT&T bought up Altel awhile back and that purchase dramatically improved AT&T's service throughout the Hills. Coverage is lost SW of Hot Springs as one drives into WY--I have experienced that.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:38 PM

Thank you so much for the information! I had heard mixed things, so I was being safe. Now I have to figure out how good satellite reception is in the hills for satellite roaming...for emergencies.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:08 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Satellite phone reception will generally be good or better than good. Is it needed in the hills? 10 years ago, yes. Now, not so much.

I was not impressed with AT&T. Coverage around the hills is sub par. I have far better luck with Verizon. AT&T is okay points east. With AT&T I didn't have coverage (no signal) at my house, I have 3g coverage with Verizon. With AT&T I've dropped several calls 3 miles south of Rapid on 79.

My only gripe, I didn't go with the iPhone.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:31 AM

Thanks again for more info. Yea, I'm still on my family's plan, so I'm stuck with AT&t. That's why I was curious about calls when in the hills for emergency purposes. I love biking, but the area is new to me, so I definitely wanted to know how satellite coverage was in case I needed it.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:40 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinGuy418 View Post
Thanks again for more info. Yea, I'm still on my family's plan, so I'm stuck with AT&t. That's why I was curious about calls when in the hills for emergency purposes. I love biking, but the area is new to me, so I definitely wanted to know how satellite coverage was in case I needed it.
Satellite is overkill. If you want a phone for emergencies get a prepaid phone that uses the verizon system. You will be money ahead and if you are in a whoops situation 911 can track a cell far better than a sat phone.

911 systems with cell phones can at the very least identify which tower your phone is affilliated to. Some of the more advanced systems can give lat and long. If during a search the phone can be pinged and a locations can be given within a certain degree of confidence.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Satellite is overkill. If you want a phone for emergencies get a prepaid phone that uses the verizon system. You will be money ahead and if you are in a whoops situation 911 can track a cell far better than a sat phone.

911 systems with cell phones can at the very least identify which tower your phone is affilliated to. Some of the more advanced systems can give lat and long. If during a search the phone can be pinged and a locations can be given within a certain degree of confidence.
Thank you so much for the info! I will definitely look into that. I've been known to go hiking for hours/days at a time and wasn't sure how the hills would take emergency calls. Arizona almost killed me on my last visit when I was at the Grand Canyon. AT&T apparently hates people who go hiking...I don't know why. Anyways, you've been a big help, thanks a bunch!

Old 03-02-2012, 09:58 AM

948 posts, read 2,791,604 times
I've done a good amount of hiking and camping in remote areas over the years. Seems like a quarter mile to half mile walk/hike to a ridge, in most cases one can get a text message to fire off. If your stuck in a ravine in a remote area you will likely be SOL.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:56 AM

603 posts, read 573,555 times
Default Better than a cell phone

If you're going to really be doing remote hiking and camping, you should probably consider one of these, or a similar device from another company:

http://outdoorsafetygps.com/

Even if you're in a general area with cell service, when you're in uneven terrain that can easily block signals in areas you might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota