Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:14 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
5 miles South, 1 mile East. It was located on our farm when I grew up. I went in that school and found a book that had my dad's name in it. Dated 1920.

Good job. How'd you come up with it?
Just surfin' the net.
Here's a territoial map of Hand County.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...%281892%29.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 11:33 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I was born on that place and played in that old school for years. I was in my 40's when I finally learned the name of it. haha

I have a map program on my puter that shows everything. Ghost towns? Old Country Schools? Everything. It shows towns that shut down and became ghost towns in 1910. That is actually where I found out the name of that school.

That school is now gone. My brother and I had the farm and we finally sold it. The new owner tore down the place. House, barn, chicken house, and school. All gone. We sold it in 1982. A few years back, we had to bury my father and I took my daughter out to show her the place. Wasn't there anymore. Times be a changing. haha

Old 12-04-2009, 11:34 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,927,783 times
I remember going to the auction of my dad's old country school. My dad & my uncle were somewhat "rebellious" during those days. My dad used to tell the story about how the teacher tried to make dad and my uncle stay after school. Being from a strict Dutch family they knew they were in a lot more trouble coming home late for chores than if they ignored their teacher. When the teacher told my dad he had to stay after school he threw the ink well at her and actually cracked the blackboard. Meanwhile my uncle pulled his horse outside the window so he could slip out and ride home.

40 years later,after hearing about his story, we went to his old school's auction and, you can guess it, the blackboard had a HUGE crack in it from top to bottom. courtesy of the delinquent Dutch boys.

These 2 weren't quite the "perfect" little Christian Reformed sweethhearts that this group always brags about. Didn't quite fit into the cult.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:19 AM

509 posts, read 1,349,763 times
What program is that ElkHunter? That sounds like a really cool program.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:16 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadwoodJ View Post
What program is that ElkHunter? That sounds like a really cool program.
It's a trip planner called "Door to Door". But you can zoom into any area and check streets, country roads, etc. It even show's all the mines in the Black Hills. It show's all the old white school houses we used to see speckled all over South Dakota. I didn't realize they had names. haha

Old 12-05-2009, 04:40 PM

509 posts, read 1,349,763 times
Where do you get it from?

Old 12-05-2009, 08:07 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I've enjoyed reading this thread. I attended a one-room school (IXL -- short, I guess, for I excel) just south of the Kansas-Nebraska border for my first five grades -- 1950-1955. There were quite a few students (a dozen?) the first couple years, but enrollment dwindled to four of us the last couple years, and then one of the four was moving, so it was finally closed. I drove past it about 20 years ago -- all gone except the storm cellar, turned back to crop land.

It was a great life for a kid growing up. The only time I can remember getting into trouble I was in the first or second grade. The teacher scolded me and my little girlfriend in front of the whole class for walking home with our arms wrapped around each other. That was embarrassing!

Didn't stop me for long though.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:56 PM

163 posts, read 215,417 times
For those interested in country schools from Turner County, South Dakota, you can look up the Turner County fair site. There's a link there that says History 1st Schools. There's a map of the county as well as the location of all the schools in the county along with pictures if there was one available. There are several schools that they're still looking for pictures of if anyone can help, email the fair and the info. will be forwarded to the Heritage Park committee.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:14 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowman View Post
For those interested in country schools from Turner County, South Dakota, you can look up the Turner County fair site. There's a link there that says History 1st Schools. There's a map of the county as well as the location of all the schools in the county along with pictures if there was one available. There are several schools that they're still looking for pictures of if anyone can help, email the fair and the info. will be forwarded to the Heritage Park committee.
That sounds interesting

Not to go off topic:

But I had a link to a site simular to that except it was to old "Drive-in Theaters" across the nation. With pictures and their history.
I need to find that again.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,569 times
Lincoln County has a few country schools still around, but those still standing were converted into houses. To my knowledge, there are a couple by Worthing (one west of it on SD 44 before going to Lennox and another one southeast of US 18 heading towards Canton) and one north of Harrisburg on the blacktop/oiled road north of it. There used to be one two miles west of Tea where the storage units are, but that one was removed back in the late 1980s. I can remember it as a grade schooler as being a white building that was dilapidated.

There are a couple in Clay County on University Road going from SD 46 to the Dakota Dome in Vermillion. One for sure is a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota