Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm made the connection to the discussion being that someone who needs accomodations for tests can't bag a McDonald's order fast enough or might get fired from McDonalds.

That's just insanity. People who need extra time to take tests aren't slow witted people who can't function on a basic level like it was implied with the McDonalds scenario.

I really don't understand the big deal. So, some people get accomodations and do a little better on tests. Other people who don't get accomodations can have test anxiety and don't perform well at all.

Making the comparison of people who need accomodations might be too slow to get a job done is similar to saying that someone who does poorly on tests due to test anxiety might not be able to do a job accurately.

See how crazy that sounds when it's flipped around?

Accomodations for tests really have no impact on future job performance----anymore than someone who doesn't test well due to test anxiety doesn't impact their future job performance either.

Remember, my kids test very well. It's one of their strengths. But I can be open minded and realize that people who don't test well and/or people who use accomodations aren't slackers and can be very productive members of society.
That's not what I meant. I was kind of referring to the posters who said they wouldn't want their doctors needing extra time to make decisions or stop the bleeding. My point was only that it is a huge leap from giving someone extra time on a HS exam and becoming a doctor who needs extra time. I just thought it was a silly comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 12:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I only stuck with McDonalds because that was the example used. I don't think that rkb was insinuating any slow-wittedness either (especially considering she is here supporting accomodations unless I'm misunderstanding her posts)...just using one example of a variety of jobs that timeliness can be critical in job performance. Nothing more nothing less....
yes!

Old 11-10-2010, 12:33 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
But I can be open minded and realize that people who don't test well and/or people who use accomodations aren't slackers and can be very productive members of society.
I think the issue is one of fairness though. There are lots of people who would benefit from having accommodations on standardized tests. There are lots of people who don't do well when they have to sit still for a long period of time. They would benefit from having breaks and as much time as they needed as well. But since being restless is not a recognized disability they do not benefit from accommodations that others receive. If a standardized test is to be TRULY standardized then test conditions must be as standard as possible.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:05 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
The topic isn't whether everybody would benefit from accommodations, it's whether or not the learning disabled should receive them.

I don't get the hostility. My son being given extra time to complete an SAT or ACT test doesn't affect YOUR child getting into college, it only allows MY child to take his rightful place in college. He still has to demonstrate mastery of the same subject matter.

His learning disability has been extensively documented in NJ, FL and GA. All the results said the same thing. High IQ, low reading skills because of a processing glitch. When he went to college he again had to be tested (at our expense), because the state board of regents did not accept the IEP as written while he was a senior in high school. Again they found a learning disability.

Worry about your own kids getting into college, please. I'm done defending my kid's right to an education worthy of his intelligence.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:33 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
So....what's the difference between someone getting extra time and those kids who's parents are rich enough to buy test coaching, etc?

Kids going into the SAt nowdays cold don't face a chance. They're up against kids who's parents have spent $$$$ on courses, coaching, tutors, etc, all aimed to get the highest score possible on the SAT.

Its not a game, ts dead serious, who wouldn't play all the options available?

Just more to consider---tweak some more noses!

Oh, BTW, I'm a CPA, not practicing. I have severe rheumatoid in my hands. I had to fight to get more time for written tests, because I take longer to write. does that make me a bad accountant?

also, do remember, what you do with an eduation has nothing to do with your right to obtain one---maybe I went to Accounting school for the fun of it!

Old 11-10-2010, 04:37 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

Oh, BTW, I'm a CPA, not practicing. I have severe rheumatoid in my hands. I had to fight to get more time for written tests, because I take longer to write. does that make me a bad accountant?
No but I am assuming it makes you a slower accountant. If you missed filing peoples taxes by April 15th did you call up the government and say "I need more time I have a disability?"

Old 11-10-2010, 05:22 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
No one gets extra credit for finishing the tests early, so anyone that is gifted won’t be being given the credit they deserve when compared to the average.
Standardised tests are flawed, we are all different, and have different strengths.

One example: An above average intelligence person with OCD, double or triple checks every question and answer, so takes a lot longer, will probably be up to 95% correct with all their answers, but needs extra time to prove the knowledge that they have and finish all the questions. If this extra time is not allowed, then this person will seem to be behind in their leaning ability, but the truth will be the contrary.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
No one gets extra credit for finishing the tests early, so anyone that is gifted won’t be being given the credit they deserve when compared to the average.
Standardised tests are flawed, we are all different, and have different strengths.

One example: An above average intelligence person with OCD, double or triple checks every question and answer, so takes a lot longer, will probably be up to 95% correct with all their answers, but needs extra time to prove the knowledge that they have and finish all the questions. If this extra time is not allowed, then this person will seem to be behind in their leaning ability, but the truth will be the contrary.
But that does not help the OCD kid get over his disability. By allowing only some kids to take much longer to do the test would only reinforce the problem. When this OCD kid gets a job in fast food, who is going to want to deal with him having to repeat every thing he does 4 or 5 times?

Just make the rules the same for everyone and then deal with the results the best you can. If an OCD kid can triple check each answer, then why wouldn't a bright kid have the same chance to do so?

Standardized tests should be used to determine if schools are meeting expectations. If minimal skills are being taught and what areas need attention. They shouldn't be used to condemn the kids - they should be used to improve the schools. If one school has too many kids performing low in math, they shouldn't give them extra time to artificially bring up the scores, it means the school needs better math teachers or books or programs.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:40 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But that does not help the OCD kid get over his disability. By allowing only some kids to take much longer to do the test would only reinforce the problem. When this OCD kid gets a job in fast food, who is going to want to deal with him having to repeat every thing he does 4 or 5 times?

Just make the rules the same for everyone and then deal with the results the best you can. If an OCD kid can triple check each answer, then why wouldn't a bright kid have the same chance to do so?

Standardized tests should be used to determine if schools are meeting expectations. If minimal skills are being taught and what areas need attention. They shouldn't be used to condemn the kids - they should be used to improve the schools. If one school has too many kids performing low in math, they shouldn't give them extra time to artificially bring up the scores, it means the school needs better math teachers or books or programs.
The OCD kid shouldn’t be restricted to a job in fast food.
By the standardised test results labelling him or her to be backward, the OCD kid is condemned to a life of frustration and misery.

The bright kid should have already finished, not that I am saying that having OCD stops you being bright, quite the opposite actually.

I agree the tests should be used to improve schools, but if you are going to mix children that need different learning conditions with the mainstream, then allowances need to be made.

I don’t class OCD as a disability, more of an obstacle, it can be part of other personality problems though.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:20 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The topic isn't whether everybody would benefit from accommodations, it's whether or not the learning disabled should receive them.

I don't get the hostility. My son being given extra time to complete an SAT or ACT test doesn't affect YOUR child getting into college, it only allows MY child to take his rightful place in college. He still has to demonstrate mastery of the same subject matter.

His learning disability has been extensively documented in NJ, FL and GA. All the results said the same thing. High IQ, low reading skills because of a processing glitch. When he went to college he again had to be tested (at our expense), because the state board of regents did not accept the IEP as written while he was a senior in high school. Again they found a learning disability.

Worry about your own kids getting into college, please. I'm done defending my kid's right to an education worthy of his intelligence.
The issue IS that some people who benefit from accommodations get them and others who benefit from them don't get them and the kids are competing directly against each other. If someone has a physical limitation that makes writing take longer that's one thing.

If a person can't read well, for whatever reason, their test scores should reflect that. Standardized tests are supposed to measure people's performance on a test under standard conditions. If lots of folks are not being held to the same standard (the word is STANDARDIZED) then the results cease to be valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children