Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 01:51 PM

48 posts, read 116,516 times

Advertisements

Having lived in Nebraska for almost my entire 32 years, I often am amused at people who say junk like "If the weather is so bad, why don't you move?!". First of all, sometimes even if you want to move somewhere with better weather, it's not always possible. With spouses, children, jobs, housing, etc., it's not always easy to just say, "Forget this crappy weather, I'm outta here!". There are often great reasons to stay.

I have been visiting the Branson area my whole life (my grandparents used to own Gladstone Cottages in Rockaway Beach) and there are many, many reasons to love Branson. If weather is really that much of a concern for you, then don't move. No one is forcing you too. The people in Missouri are wonderful, the landscape/scenery/nature in Missouri is beautiful, it's a wonderful family environment, great schools, and the list goes on. For some people (like me, who grew up where the weather is VERY similar) Branson/Missouri in general is a major draw for reasons that the weather won't affect at all.

People in the Midwest tend to be blunt. It's not meant to be rude, and no matter who you are speaking to, sometimes when speaking online, the person reading the comment is reading it in a way that the poster didn't even mean for it to sound. You can't see the persons face or hear the tone of voice, so don't jump to conclusions that someone is being intentionally rude to you. I don't live in Missouri yet, but I have spoken to lots of people on this particular forum, all of them nice people.

Just because you ask a question, doesn't mean you are going to get the answer that you want. It may be disappointing to hear, but would you rather everyone is truthful with you rather than move halfway across the country based on what you were told on a forum, only to find out that you hate Missouri weather? One last thing. I don't remember who said it, but it's true. Native people can ***** about the weather all we want, but transplants who do nothing but ***** about it from the get go & constantly say things like, "Ugh, the weather in Cali was so much better!" are not well liked, ANYWHERE you go.

(also, lots of Midwesterners say stuff like "colder than a witch's teat", it's part of our "charm" )

Bec
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 11:07 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,407,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2lucky View Post
Having lived in Nebraska for almost my entire 32 years, I often am amused at people who say junk like "If the weather is so bad, why don't you move?!". First of all, sometimes even if you want to move somewhere with better weather, it's not always possible. With spouses, children, jobs, housing, etc., it's not always easy to just say, "Forget this crappy weather, I'm outta here!". There are often great reasons to stay.

I have been visiting the Branson area my whole life (my grandparents used to own Gladstone Cottages in Rockaway Beach) and there are many, many reasons to love Branson. If weather is really that much of a concern for you, then don't move. No one is forcing you too. The people in Missouri are wonderful, the landscape/scenery/nature in Missouri is beautiful, it's a wonderful family environment, great schools, and the list goes on. For some people (like me, who grew up where the weather is VERY similar) Branson/Missouri in general is a major draw for reasons that the weather won't affect at all.

People in the Midwest tend to be blunt. It's not meant to be rude, and no matter who you are speaking to, sometimes when speaking online, the person reading the comment is reading it in a way that the poster didn't even mean for it to sound. You can't see the persons face or hear the tone of voice, so don't jump to conclusions that someone is being intentionally rude to you. I don't live in Missouri yet, but I have spoken to lots of people on this particular forum, all of them nice people.

Just because you ask a question, doesn't mean you are going to get the answer that you want. It may be disappointing to hear, but would you rather everyone is truthful with you rather than move halfway across the country based on what you were told on a forum, only to find out that you hate Missouri weather? One last thing. I don't remember who said it, but it's true. Native people can ***** about the weather all we want, but transplants who do nothing but ***** about it from the get go & constantly say things like, "Ugh, the weather in Cali was so much better!" are not well liked, ANYWHERE you go.

(also, lots of Midwesterners say stuff like "colder than a witch's teat", it's part of our "charm" )

Bec
Yea I move South one time to get away from the cold.All the Main Water Lines in town had froze and Busted,all the Water Lines busted in all the Trailers just before we got there,busted all them.After being there a month had couple Guys pulled up by where I lived,they had Froze to Death in their Boat,they had to cut them out.

I decided if I was going to be cold might as well.Went to the Mountains of Colorado 160 inches of snow on the ground.People knew how to deal with it.

brushrunner

Old 09-09-2010, 04:33 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,969 times
I was going to say something very similiar^^^ I came from Nebraska and while i didn't work outside 9dh does though) Missouri weather has nothing I can't handle.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:12 PM

158 posts, read 376,480 times
Default Colder than a well-digger's a$$ (can I say that?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2lucky View Post

Bec
Colder than a well-digger's a$$ was my personal favorite -- heard that many times from an uncle I worked with several years ago. He also had a similar take on the one above, but added "in a brass bra".

For what it's worth I worked in the auto-repair industry then, and this language was very common, along with all those tool-company sponsored calendars with lots of pretty women wearing tool belts... definitely part of the midwestern charm!

Old 09-11-2010, 04:18 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,659,555 times
everyone just remember that the Origial Poster was asking about Missouri and was coming from CAlifornia...

Old 09-12-2010, 11:59 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,407,446 times
Here is a Video walking down my drive last Winter.

YouTube - Walk down Oneshots driveway

brushrunner

Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 AM

879 posts, read 2,880,166 times
Default Ca has cold weather to my friends...

Spmetimes one isn't aware of, or forgets, that California is a big state...
They have desert conditions in the south...Lots of snow and cold weather in the Sierra's, wet & damp along parts of the coast, cool and foggy in other parts of the coast, and beautiful weather in some areas depending on your definition. We used to regularly shovel feet of snow off the driveway (780 feet with 3 switchbacks) during the winter. Then pick the ice off after it melted and refroze. Colder than a well-digger's posterior or colder than a witches teat were common terms. It's not all sun-shine and margarita's with shopping at Trader Joe's in CA.....only in some area.

Just had to get that in....I chuckle at some of the comments about CA...like
it's all shopping, eating, and liberal rich folks. Oh yea...and whacko's.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:26 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,659,555 times
Agreed Mrs. Chili but I think the OP was from the LA Area

Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
Just had to get that in....I chuckle at some of the comments about CA...like
Land of fruits and nuts.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:23 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
I chuckle at some of the comments about CA...like
Unfortunately, it seems like there's a preponderance of those who move to Missouri. Maybe they're just the loudest, mouthiest ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area