Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 08:01 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,658,170 times

Advertisements

I assume s. davis is referring to the African American population. Yes, that is correct. "Ya'll" is commonly used among African Americans all over the country. It's as commonly heard in black neighborhoods in Philly, Detroit, Chicago and Cleveland as it is in St. Louis. I was specifically referring to the local dialect among the European American population, as the map in the link documents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 01:25 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Are we talking about St. Louis' African American population?
Yes.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:26 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,339 times
It's not southern, but there are definitely little hints of it here and there. Part of that might be the influence of the Mississippi historically on commerce. I think a lot of it has to do with STL being the neared truly big city for people in some parts of the south. I've met a fair share of people originally from places like the boot heel, west Tennessee, and Arkansas here. Much more so than I find in places like Milwaukee and Cleveland. They add a bit of southern flavor in small doses.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:12 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Yes.
I still think that's a real big stretch.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:54 PM

203 posts, read 199,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMN View Post
I've been to STL a few times and I can say that it has a very strong Southern vibe. When I was there, I felt like I was in the South. Being from Minnesota, I can say that STL did not feel Midwestern at all to me.

BTW, I do believe that east and southern Missouri are a part of the South. Missouri doesn't seem all that Midwestern to me and it feels much like its Southern neighbors than it's northern ones, at least to me. As a whole, I do consider Missouri to be a Southern state.

Plus, MO allowed slavery in the civil war. That to me makes it full blown Dixie country.
Speaking as a half-Hispanic transplant from New Mexico who was stationed at Fort Gordon, GA serving our country -
St. Louis is NOT a Southern city with regard to politeness, courtesy and geniality; however, it is a most Southern city/town with regard to it's laid-back pace (waiting forever for food at Tiffany Diner in supposedly upbeat Maplewood F you!!!!

Old 01-22-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I still think that's a real big stretch.
Why?

Old 01-23-2016, 02:31 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Why?
Because I rarely hear the black people I work with or encounter out and about use that phrase. On the other hand, when I'm around southern whites, I do hear it frequently.

Maybe it's just me.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:45 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
I think people who are from farther north in the Midwest think it's Southern, while people from the real South (like me) think it's Midwestern. Ask any Southerner whether they think St. Louis is a Southern city and you're going to get some strange looks.
Yep, growing up in IN and MI we considered St Louis to be southern, maybe not quite 'gone with the the wind' but definitely not midwestern like us.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:39 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,658,170 times
Indianapolis seems way more southern than St. Louis. NASCAR is big there, right? The people have a twang and just seem more countryish.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Because I rarely hear the black people I work with or encounter out and about use that phrase. On the other hand, when I'm around southern whites, I do hear it frequently.

Maybe it's just me.
I don't know if it's just you, or the people you know, but saying "y'all" is a fairly common and easily verifiable feature of African American speech in St Louis (and most other metros with large African American populations). Again, that doesn't make St Louis southern. It's not a southern city, in any way. But it does have a large, significant black population that makes up a large, significant portion of St Louis culture, and I think that has a tendency to get glosses over a little on this board when people are talking about St Louis' culture and speech, especially. There are probably more people in St Louis who say y'all than those who merge or/ar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis