Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 02:11 PM

320 posts, read 611,006 times

Advertisements

^ The issue with the south is that your states unleashed on the north a gigantic wave of poor, uneducated people (white and black), fleeing from medieval laws and a straight up barbaric society that had no excuse for existing in the 19th century, let alone ever. And your states did nothing to help with the numerous problems that created. And today your states like to point at the north and say "oh, look how badly their cities rotted. See!" What a ****ing joke. The north received no financial help, no legal help, nor any other kind of help in dealing with the problems THEY created - I mean, the south could have ended the Jim Crow laws and indentured servitude and numerous other backwards practices that forced your people to move northward, but didn't. And let's be honest. Your culture fought a war to preserve the institution of human chattel - not states rights, not any of the other revisionist crap neo confeds always try to point to - and to pretend otherwise is not to embrace *your* past. So yeah, "southern influences" are a total load of crap, and you can keep those influences down south, and help clean up the socioeconomic mess you helped create up north. Do that, and we'll start to give a **** what the south thinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 11:20 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
As someone who was born and raised in the St. Louis area, and whose family took a vacation to the south usually once a year, I can safely say that I *never* associated St. Louis with the south in terms of the city's vibe. I moved to Chicago four years ago, and the cities always felt like they had the same Midwestern vibe to me as well.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:48 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
^. Your culture.........you helped create
I hope this isn't a rant directed towards me?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:07 AM

It's directed a few comments up. There seem to be a few southern nationalists on these threads and I was getting fed up with their BS.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:22 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
As someone who was born and raised in the St. Louis area, and whose family took a vacation to the south usually once a year, I can safely say that I *never* associated St. Louis with the south in terms of the city's vibe. I moved to Chicago four years ago, and the cities always felt like they had the same Midwestern vibe to me as well.
Yes, I am from St. Louis and live in Chicago and work with people from Chicago, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin and there is absolutely no difference in how we talk or other factors as Midwesterners. People from the Ozarks or Bootheel I would agree are southerners.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:33 AM

536 posts, read 830,177 times
We are definitely Midwest, but for some reason some St. Louisians do get the St. Louis accent and some don't. Half my family has it and half doesn't. Seems more common in girls. I've got a girl cousin that has lived in Texas for the last 10 years and she still has the St. Louis accent 100% It's weird.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 PM

118 posts, read 251,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
It's directed a few comments up. There seem to be a few southern nationalists on these threads and I was getting fed up with their BS.
And we are likewise tired of your ignorant, ambivalent prose.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:39 AM

Whatever. At least pick something besides history's armpit to have pride in.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:15 PM

215 posts, read 712,819 times
To answer the original poster's question. No, St. Louis is not a southern city. I have lived in Nashville (6 years) and Charlotte (currently), and grew up in Ste. Genevieve county (45 miles south of St. Louis). From my experiences with the people, places, attitudes, and beliefs of these southern cities, I can strongly confirm that St. Louis is not a southern city.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:05 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
I grew up in Northern Wisco, lived in the South, lived in the Mountain West, and currently live in the Northeast Philly...moving to St. Louis in a week. IMO STL is not a Southern City, nor is it a Midwestern City, it is a South Midwestern City. I've noticed it really is a fusion/synergy of both the South and the Midwest, it is highly unique and I look forward to my time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis