Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is most true? (pick more than one)
The officer did not commit murder, he was in imminent danger. 84 62.69%
Police are guilty of murder and we have the RIGHT to be in the streets! 12 8.96%
In light of the volitility, a curfew is understandable. 47 35.07%
Police should wear body cameras at all times. 74 55.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 08:56 PM

287 posts, read 594,222 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 09:13 PM

662 posts, read 1,050,211 times
Breaking: preliminary autopsy reveals he was shot at least 6 times.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:35 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,989,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am, View Post
Do you really think that if the police shot and killed looters or those breaking the curfew the people protesting would be A-okay with that? The tone of all of this unrest seems to be characterized by the theory that any force used against the African American community by the police is per se racist. Look at the reaction by the protesters at the mere suggestion that Michael Brown may have robbed the convenience store and might not actually be the "gentle giant' they claimed him to be. I don't think it's totally unreasonable for the police to fear unloading on the looters in order to avoid further allegations of "racism."
(In a nice voice)

There are so many things you are wrong on.

When has any group been okay with shooting and killing looters? White people have looted at sporting events and it wasn't even a thought of them being killed because of it. Please Dawn think about what you are writing.

Much of the Black community knew about Michael Brown taking the cigarilo from the convenience store before it hit the news media. Al Sharpton revealed that with the interview with the victims best friend. Also he clarified that with his attorney Freeman Bosley jr.

What is in question is the motive behind releasing that information when there seems to be so many integrity issues with in the Ferguson police department. Many don't think it is relevant to the discovery of why Darren Wilson shot Michael Brown since it's is clear that he wasn't stopped for the robbery.

There has been many times where the police has unloaded tear gas and rubber bullets on the protesters and news media that had nothing to do with the rioting. There has been many White protesters and media personnel who has been at the receiving end of this misuse of force.

One positive thing I can see coming from the protest is a new level of accountability. The community has every right to demand the case is handled the right way. They have the right to demand transparency from local police department and prosecutors office. Don't you want a fair trial? If you are normal you do. You seem to be caught up on the race thing thinking this is the Black community vs White community. It isn't.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:41 PM

367 posts, read 766,525 times
Antonio French does not have the respect of defiant youths who come from areas outside of Ferguson. The protesters do not trust the county prosecutor or police chiefs of STL county and Ferguson. The lack of transparency of the ongoing investigation, fragments of unrelated information and growing concern the Darren Wilson will not stand trial.

Cpt. Ron Johnson is directing a well organized force to resist provocation and channeling the protesters reduce their effectiveness while keeping the media from direct harm's way. The random gun shots will not bait the police to wade into the protester's midst.

Every day the people don't get answers the unrest continues and grows. Accountability of Thomas Jackson and Jon Belmar's actions up to the Governor's first move must be explained.

The wheels of justice must move into overdrive or the nightly actions of a few will stir the pot of unrest because the year's of tension in Ferguson have boiled over.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:42 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,775,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
And all the shots came from the front and at a distance. No shots in the back or execution style shots close range.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:46 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,287,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
I don't think that's surprising. That cell phone video said he came back toward the police, so I'm not surprised he continued to be shot. But sounds like he wasn't "running away" and shot in the back like the "eyewitnesses" claimed.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:53 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,013,781 times
I haven't read this whole thread and I probably am not going to, but I just want to say how disgusted I am to hear about looting going on amidst the protests in Ferguson over the shooting of Michael Brown. I understand peaceful protests, but I don't understand looting and violence - someone was just shot last night, correct? I've been seeing headlines and reading articles about this every day now since it happened, and each day I find the updates more distressing. How does anyone think that looting random businesses in the area is going to solve anything? I've read reports that some business owners will close for good following looting and destruction of property in their stores, and even if they plan to reopen when this is all done, it is wrong on every level that this is happening in the first place. I feel so terrible for all business owners and employees who have been victims of looting and property damage, like breaking windows, because this is uncalled for. It is out of control. This is no better than the shooting at this point, to be honest. I just can't understand the mentality that some apparently have to think it is okay to loot and destroy other people's property and livelihoods in the middle of protests over a police matter. I think it is so sad for the businesses and community, as a whole.

I hope everything is resolved soon and people can wait for the investigation to end before continuing to resort to ridiculous and drastic measures in response. Sometimes, people react so emotionally without knowing the whole story…

Old 08-17-2014, 10:18 PM

317 posts, read 329,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
(In a nice voice)

There are so many things you are wrong on.

When has any group been okay with shooting and killing looters? White people have looted at sporting events and it wasn't even a thought of them being killed because of it. Please Dawn think about what you are writing.

Much of the Black community knew about Michael Brown taking the cigarilo from the convenience store before it hit the news media. Al Sharpton revealed that with the interview with the victims best friend. Also he clarified that with his attorney Freeman Bosley jr.

What is in question is the motive behind releasing that information when there seems to be so many integrity issues with in the Ferguson police department. Many don't think it is relevant to the discovery of why Darren Wilson shot Michael Brown since it's is clear that he wasn't stopped for the robbery.

There has been many times where the police has unloaded tear gas and rubber bullets on the protesters and news media that had nothing to do with the rioting. There has been many White protesters and media personnel who has been at the receiving end of this misuse of force.

One positive thing I can see coming from the protest is a new level of accountability. The community has every right to demand the case is handled the right way. They have the right to demand transparency from local police department and prosecutors office. Don't you want a fair trial? If you are normal you do. You seem to be caught up on the race thing thinking this is the Black community vs White community. It isn't.

This shooting would of been investigated perfectly fine without all the protests and rioting. There is no need for these protest, the fbi would of been called in anyways.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:20 PM

9,475 posts, read 10,824,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I haven't read this whole thread and I probably am not going to, but I just want to say how disgusted I am to hear about looting going on amidst the protests in Ferguson over the shooting of Michael Brown. I understand peaceful protests, but I don't understand looting and violence - someone was just shot last night, correct? I've been seeing headlines and reading articles about this every day now since it happened, and each day I find the updates more distressing. How does anyone think that looting random businesses in the area is going to solve anything? I've read reports that some business owners will close for good following looting and destruction of property in their stores, and even if they plan to reopen when this is all done, it is wrong on every level that this is happening in the first place. I feel so terrible for all business owners and employees who have been victims of looting and property damage, like breaking windows, because this is uncalled for. It is out of control. This is no better than the shooting at this point, to be honest. I just can't understand the mentality that some apparently have to think it is okay to loot and destroy other people's property and livelihoods in the middle of protests over a police matter. I think it is so sad for the businesses and community, as a whole.

I hope everything is resolved soon and people can wait for the investigation to end before continuing to resort to ridiculous and drastic measures in response. Sometimes, people react so emotionally without knowing the whole story…

Rioting and looting should not be tolerated. I agree with a previous poster who suggested the looters should be shot. Those who continue to riot should be gassed, subdued and arrested. Law and order needs to be restored. They cry out "no justice no peace", well how about justice for the business owners, or those who work for those businesses? Our justice system will investigate the police action against the teenager, and if he is found to have unnecessarily used deadly force then he will face discipline or even criminal charges. I understand anger toward the police, but looting business owners and setting fires is not the way to handle it. Those people are now the victims of the rioters, who are now just simple criminals in my opinion. I have no sympathy for criminals, as they belong in jail.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:28 PM

13,838 posts, read 8,059,821 times
Eyewitness: Michael Brown Ran from Cop Car, 'Doubled Back' and Charged at Officers

#1 How’d he get from there to there?
#2 Because he ran, the police was still in the truck – cause he was like over the truck
{crosstalk}
#2 But him and the police was both in the truck, then he ran – the police got out and ran after him
{crosstalk}
#2 Then the next thing I know he doubled back toward him cus - the police had his gun drawn already on him –
#1. Oh, the police got his gun
#2 The police kept dumpin on him, and I’m thinking the police kept missing – he like – be like – but he kept coming toward him
Unwitting eyewitness: Michael Brown doubled back, charged at officer - National Policy & Issues | Examiner.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis