Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:22 AM

71 posts, read 261,063 times

Advertisements

I think the Metro coming out here is less the "narrowminded people" and more the fact that St. Louis Metro area is about 3 million people. There just is not the money available, plus like you mentioned that it really is not that bad of a drive, especially when 40 is done. Actually I have lived in many places other then STL, in my experience STL actually has alot to offer the more "coastal" people then MOST midwest cities.

The local music scene here is great, tons of live shows when you compare it to the number of people that actually live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 09:30 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
In terms of entertainment, I was speaking of what the LSL Community Association offers. Like I said, its not cutting edge, but not disappointing either.

The STL City Music scene is OK. Its not LA, OC, NYC or even Pittsburgh but you can find good bands.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:37 AM

71 posts, read 261,063 times
I personally would put the Urban music scene up there with cities like ATL and HOU, but then again I am putting it to a ratio comparing population, there is only 3 milllion people in the metro area. For what a city that size can offer, I would say it is pretty good. Given I do not like contry or old rock, I dont search for shows like that

Old 07-16-2009, 10:25 AM

I never figure out the appeal of "classic rock" and the proliferation of "classic rock" stations in the midwest. Journey, Styx, Speedwagon, Kansas, Starship et al sucked twenty years ago and the suck even more now.

Country music is just background music for the American Imbecile.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:20 AM

711 posts, read 2,108,206 times
I tell you what, when I think of city living, that's all I can think of - "Damn, where are all the celebrities?"

Give me a break. What is this, TMZ?

The differences between county and city living are huge. I have lived in the suburbs - you have terrible traffic because it was a "small town" 20 years ago that is now booming - you have 1 major 2-3 lane road running down the middle of the suburb that connects 50 different suburbs and every one of your shopping/dining options are on this busy road - you shop at Wal Mart and have all kinds of eating choices, if you like Chili's, TGI Fridays, Applebee's, O'Charleys, etc, etc. The good, local options are there, but very few and far between.

If you live out as far as Chesterfield, Edwardsville, etc, everything in the city is a 30 minute drive at minimum - if there's no traffic at the time, that is.

My neighborhood, that is about 7,000 people, has about 10 restaurants/bars, and it is one of the less vibrant neighborhoods.

If you can't tell a difference between Creve Coeur and Chesterfield versus the Central West End, Tower Grove, Soulard, Dogtown, Lafayette Square, Compton Heights, The Hill, and 70 or so other neighborhoods, you really aren't qualified to make such posts.

Now, if you said there is no difference between the city and say...University City, Clayton, Richmond Heights, Maplewood, Affton, okay, I could let that one slide and you would be mostly correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwobaldguy View Post
"City living" is dubious at best. This is st. louis, not LA. You aren't going to often find yourself standing next to Clooney or hell even George Micheal for that matter. Once you live here you will see how laughable the idea of being from the city vs county really is. It's like arguing whether Nebraska or Iowa is trendier, what would one do measure the state by which has the least amount of corn? The whole place, IMO, has a very small town feel to it which isn't really a bad thing, it's just not like the big cities of the world even though it's actually fairly large. Some people really need to be dramatic though, they want to talk about living in the ghetto, or people getting jacked, or some crazy stuff that's so irrelevant to normal St. Lousians lives it's not even really thought of. Some of these people must be really young, that's all I can figure. If you want my opinion, there's isn't a heck of a lot of difference having lived in both the city and the county. Both have good and bad areas. You have forest park in the city, but it's also easily drivable from my county home too. In the county you have plces like castlewood park, but it's easily drivable from the cty too. It's not chicago, you won't have to worry about how far away things are. Outside of staying away from the poor people, most of the talk here is just overly dramatic IMO. Every part of the area has interesting things to see and do and most places are easily drivable within an hour from each other.
There are a few places out on the western edges of st louis area (like some parts of st charles should be OK) I would look at that would still allow the easy drive to the airport. I would not consider anything in the immediate area of the airport though.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:01 AM

You are not going to see celebrities here. So what?

I used to see them everyday (even had some nice chats with Juliette Lewis and Morgan Freeman) Nicholas Cage lived down the hill and I would always see Kobe Bryant in the local deli. I did a photoshoot with Marc McGwire. They are just people.

I wish those stupid celebrity magazines and TV shows would cease to exist. But as long as there is an audience to buy that crap and consume insipidness and banality, those media outlets will continue to exist. I thought the Michael JAckson coverage would never end.

People need to live their own lives rather than live vicariously through some celebrity they will probably never know.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:07 PM

711 posts, read 2,108,206 times
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
You are not going to see celebrities here. So what?

I used to see them everyday (even had some nice chats with Juliette Lewis and Morgan Freeman) Nicholas Cage lived down the hill and I would always see Kobe Bryant in the local deli. I did a photoshoot with Marc McGwire. They are just people.

I wish those stupid celebrity magazines and TV shows would cease to exist. But as long as there is an audience to buy that crap and consume insipidness and banality, those media outlets will continue to exist. I thought the Michael JAckson coverage would never end.

People need to live their own lives rather than live vicariously through some celebrity they will probably never know.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:29 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,498,236 times
Quote:
I never figure out the appeal of "classic rock" and the proliferation of "classic rock" stations in the midwest. Journey, Styx, Speedwagon, Kansas, Starship et al sucked twenty years ago and the suck even more now.
Quote:

Country music is just background music for the American Imbecile.
I would love to see you attend a bull-riding or other similar event and tell all of the participants/spectators that they are "imbeciles." You won't be enjoying your Lake St. Louis (yeah, right) lifestyle after having multiple bootprints applied to yourself.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:36 PM

Why would I even want to go to a bullriding, rodeo or truck or tractor pull? (been there, done that - , Remember, I went to school in West Virginia)

Sorry, I think most of the music thats been called country in the last 20 years is mindless crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis