Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:12 PM

80 posts, read 222,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Aviator View Post
Most of the TGV series of trains in Europe have top operating speeds of 300 km/h or 186 mph. Figure on a 135 mph average speed and a 298 mile distance and you can get between St. Louis and Chicago in 2 hours and 20 minutes without the hassles associated with air travel.
Eek. That should say 2 hours and 12 minutes, not 20 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 11:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
Please. I take it you don't ride the bus or light rail very often? I ride public transit every day and feel a heck of a lot safer than I do fighting my way through traffic on congested interstates. I also rode the light rail system in Washington, DC quite a bit when I lived there and it was super-safe, never a single issue. I've also ridden the subways in New York City at 3 AM...again, totally safe. The few cases where public transit may be "dangerous" would be in a rough area of town, but why would you want to go there in the first place?

40,000 Americans die in auto accidents every year, which averages out to 114 every day. If the media took the time to report on every single one rather than a murder or two people would seriously rethink driving anywhere. Public transportation is statistically MUCH safer than driving, more environmentally friendly, and promotes sustainable growth.
yes i am no stranger to public transport that is why i made the post.
what i just said to you will appear utterly silly & meaningless until you get mugged.
as to your quote that public transport is very safe, there are no stats whatsoever available on the BART system. go ahead google it. that also applies to other major cities as well, atlanta, memphis charlotte new orleans, google them too. read the CDF posts on this subject, i did. know anything about france?? they are having the same problem, they got trains, they got buses, i know em well, but they are no longer safe to ride --just like us. the streets got mean.
yes friend i have heard these stat arguments about cars and freeways. that you are safer in iraq than on an american freeway, but i get to choose how i die dont i. raped or stabbed does not work for me.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-18-2009 at 11:42 PM..

Old 02-19-2009, 08:34 AM

938 posts, read 3,507,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes i am no stranger to public transport that is why i made the post.
what i just said to you will appear utterly silly & meaningless until you get mugged.
as to your quote that public transport is very safe, there are no stats whatsoever available on the BART system. go ahead google it. that also applies to other major cities as well, atlanta, memphis charlotte new orleans, google them too. read the CDF posts on this subject, i did. know anything about france?? they are having the same problem, they got trains, they got buses, i know em well, but they are no longer safe to ride --just like us. the streets got mean.
yes friend i have heard these stat arguments about cars and freeways. that you are safer in iraq than on an american freeway, but i get to choose how i die dont i. raped or stabbed does not work for me.
No one gets to choose how they die. Any of us could be killed in a fiery car crash or get struck by lightning any day. I completely disagree that public transit is "dangerous". There may be some sketchy looking characters or homeless on some of the bus lines around here, but I've ridden with them many times and they completely leave me alone. Memphis and New Orleans have some of the highest crime rates in the nation and can be dangerous cities in certain places regardless of if you are on or off a bus.

As far as stats go, in 2001, 34 people were killed on buses, compared to 42,116 killed in auto accidents [Source: http://www.bts.gov/publications/nati...ble_02_01.html ]. These numbers obviously aren't adjusted for the total number or drivers vs. riders, but you tell me which is statistically safer.

I'll take my chances on the bus, rather than make an irrational decision based out of blind fear. I've had dozens of close-calls driving on the highway where I could have been easily killed, but so far the bus has been nothing but safe. I challenge you to ride public transportation in your area, or if that doesn't jive, come to Austin, DC, or New York and hop on a bus, light rail, or subway. I guarantee you you'll walk off perfectly safe and happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis