Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 05:04 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,360,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I have seen the 'recommendations' for D3 (or just Vitiam D) intake as a maximum of 2000 IU but have heard others challenge this - what is the scoop on the dangers of Vitamin D toxicity and is that recommendation good advice? What is the proper upper limit? Any good articles for or against?
I take it and K3. I understand that you need K3 with it because D alone would harm you.

From Seafood to Sunshine: A New Understanding of Vitamin D Safety (http://www.westonaprice.org/From-Seafood-to-Sunshine-A-New-Understanding-of-Vitamin-D-Safety.html - broken link)

this will explain some reason why you need to take k and a with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 07:18 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,733,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
20 minutes of sun exposure creates 50,000 IU of Vitamin D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
With 2/3 of your body exposed to the sun on a summer day in, say, southern California, your body can produce about 2,000 IU per hour.
Big discrepancy here.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:16 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I take it and K3. I understand that you need K3 with it because D alone would harm you.

From Seafood to Sunshine: A New Understanding of Vitamin D Safety (http://www.westonaprice.org/From-Seafood-to-Sunshine-A-New-Understanding-of-Vitamin-D-Safety.html - broken link)

this will explain some reason why you need to take k and a with it.
After reading some of the material on that web-page and wiki you should take K1 or K2, which are easy to get from your diet, not K3.

From wiki:

Although allergic reaction from supplementation is possible, there is no known toxicity associated with high doses of the phylloquinone (vitamin K1) or menaquinone (vitamin K2) forms of vitamin K and therefore no Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) has been set.

However, a synthetic form of vitamin K, vitamin K3 (menadione), is demonstrably toxic. In fact, the FDA has banned this synthetic form of the vitamin from over-the-counter supplements because large doses have been shown to cause allergic reactions, hemolytic anemia, and cytotoxicity in liver cells.

From the Article you cited:

There are two forms of vitamin K: vitamin K1 is found in green vegetables and plant oils, especially olive oil; vitamin K2, which is produced by intestinal bacteria in small and probably inconsequential amounts, is found in animal foods and fermented plant foods.

Also, Broccoli, Spinach, and Avocado are good sources of K1 but K1 is not absorbed well - but you only need it mainly for clotting factors. K2 has a high absorbtion rate and is good for balancing the vitamin D. It is found in fermented foods and beef.

Alsofrom the article:

Sauerkraut contains more than four times as much vitamin K2 as beef and more than twice as much as pork, although natto, a Japanese fermented soy food, contains the most vitamin K2 of any food measured. The K2 in lacto-fermented foods, however, is not the exact same form as the K2 in animal products. Whether or not the difference is important is unclear. Egg yolks, butterfat, and goose meat, especially goose liver, are excellent sources. Among organ meats, brain, pancreas, and salivary glands contain the highest amounts, while bone contains less but is substantially richer than muscle meat. Chicken and duck are decent sources, followed by beef and pork.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:29 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,360,776 times
thanks for catching that shiloh, mine is k2 and d3. my k2 may have 1 in it.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:50 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,642,763 times
Speaking of sunshine and Vitamin-D we're also learning about how certain genes turn on (epigenetics) when exposed to UV radiation from the sun as for example the p53 gene which is responsible for tanning the skin when exposed to the sun's rays and also for being a tumor suppressor gene when activated by the same rays.

So if you tan then probably your p53 gene is expressing and if you burn then it's probably inactivated since we all carry this gene. Genetics gotta love it

Gene behind tanning comes out of hiding - New Scientist

Old 04-15-2010, 02:33 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,238,174 times
Quote:
Sure, blame the sun - easy target.

. .
Easy target.....because it's the correct one.....

"Ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun is the main cause of skin cancer"
Causes of Skin Cancer - Skin Cancers - Stanford Cancer Center

It's probably just a conspiracy theory though

Old 04-16-2010, 03:02 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,336,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Easy target.....because it's the correct one.....

"Ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun is the main cause of skin cancer"
Causes of Skin Cancer - Skin Cancers - Stanford Cancer Center

It's probably just a conspiracy theory though
I would recommend that you move to Seattle, where the sight of the sun causes fear for many and awe for others.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:24 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,211,585 times
Quote:
With 2/3 of your body exposed to the sun on a summer day in, say, southern California, your body can produce about 2,000 IU per hour.
I live in Tucson, AZ, and I love being out and about, and I was severely deficient in vit D, so location is not any guarantee.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:01 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,394,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I live in Tucson, AZ, and I love being out and about, and I was severely deficient in vit D, so location is not any guarantee.

Yes, that's true. Some people do not absorb vitamin D from the sun, no matter how much of it they get. Even in the states like Arizona, with higher altitude.
I also have problems absorbing vitamin D from the sun and I live in Florida. I always need to supplement.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:12 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,211,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Yes, that's true. Some people do not absorb vitamin D from the sun, no matter how much of it they get. Even in the states like Arizona, with higher altitude.
I also have problems absorbing vitamin D from the sun and I live in Florida. I always need to supplement.
Of course, I didn't have any idea before a problem came up. I'd imagine there are plenty of people who have no clue they're deficient, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements