Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 06:49 PM

17 posts, read 28,142 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Just doing a prelim search and found many older, gorgeous homes. But, in checking this site, there seems to be a lot of don't even consider it neighborhoods.

I love the uniqueness of older homes vs. the burbs. Been there done that, but don't want to risk crime.

Husband will fly out of airport, he's a pilot. Daughter to attend community college for first two years.

thanks for the head's up on these properties.

Also, coming from VA area, lifelong southerner. I know there is snow. Would you say you have four-five months of absolutely no sun? I'm one of those SAD sufferers. Thanks for honest answers to the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 08:26 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,764,884 times
If you don't want to be right in the city but still want an older home (lots of character, I agree), try the older villages that existed when Syracuse itself was just another village as well. Liverpool (13088), Manlius (13104), Fayetteville (13066), Dewitt/Syracuse border (13214- you'll see descriptions like "Orvilton area.") The village of Marcellus is another option but it would make your husband's commute more complicated, though not very long still. It would be an easy, EASY commute for your daughter. All villages/areas that started in the very early 1800's, around even older grand farms/homes that gradually sold off the farmland. East Syracuse is another option for an old village but the neighborhoods are hit and miss... there are a lot of the railroad worker-type homes that were built as two-families 150 years ago. Flat roofs, roofing for siding, not in good repair and often questionable tenants who don't care about the home, as it doesn't belong to them. Original (heat sucking) windows, awkward kitchens, wet basements and such. There are a good number of gems but they tend to be businesses like funeral homes and law firms.

As a rule, nothing is much more than 20 minutes away from any suburb, from one to another.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:35 AM

As for the snow- to *me,* we have plenty of sun in the winter. I actually get more burns in the winter than summer, as I frequently go snowboarding and the sun is not only shining but reflecting off the snow... lol - I have a really tan face in the winter! I also hide from the sun in the summer- not very big on heat, humidity and blazing sun. AND- the winter sunshine is awful for me because I have to draw the curtains to keep from feeling blinded in bright rooms. Again, the snow reflects any and all light and it positively glows in my house. Walks outside and while driving, I require sunglasses more in the winter than summer. I'm probably not the best person to answer though, since I could likely live in the Arctic without issue. lol

But, we have a poster who also suffers from SAD and he can tell you more about how he is affected by the lesser amount of sun.

*I* think that people are more affected by the dark-early days than the lack of sunshine because they're inside, working, all day. They get up in the dark, are inside during the day's light and come home in the dark. I can see how that would get depressing. I'm a stay at home mother, however, and am in and out all day... I'm always relieved when it starts getting dark early. My routine works much better then.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:58 AM

Default Thanks for reply, a little deeper question

Thank you for your reply. I am a stay-at-home Mom, or have been. Now she will be off to college, so... Of course, I am a writer as well - so I hope to be able to continue to stay at home to do that.

I can handle cold, I think, so long as the sun shines, so that is a help to know you feel Syracuse has plenty. People talk about gray, overcast days in colder climes, and that scares me a bit.

I have seen very beautiful tudors and homes with quite a bit of land in the $200-350 range. One in Sedgewick, which I read is good; however, the crime discussions are a bit off-putting, since my hubby flies and is gone quite a bit. Specifically Rugby St., one is on South Street, another on James, but way east on James.

Would you say all the "nice, older homes" border less desirable, crime-ridden neighborhoods. One poster said "nothing left of Teall." Our church would be on Teall, but all the homes I have flagged are left of it.

And, why are the real estate taxes in Syracuse sooo much less than say Onadonga?

Thanks for more information as you have time.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahma Nash View Post
Thank you for your reply. I am a stay-at-home Mom, or have been. Now she will be off to college, so... Of course, I am a writer as well - so I hope to be able to continue to stay at home to do that.

I can handle cold, I think, so long as the sun shines, so that is a help to know you feel Syracuse has plenty. People talk about gray, overcast days in colder climes, and that scares me a bit.

I have seen very beautiful tudors and homes with quite a bit of land in the $200-350 range. One in Sedgewick, which I read is good; however, the crime discussions are a bit off-putting, since my hubby flies and is gone quite a bit. Specifically Rugby St., one is on South Street, another on James, but way east on James.

Would you say all the "nice, older homes" border less desirable, crime-ridden neighborhoods. One poster said "nothing left of Teall." Our church would be on Teall, but all the homes I have flagged are left of it.

And, why are the real estate taxes in Syracuse sooo much less than say Onadonga?

Thanks for more information as you have time.
Onondaga Hill, you mean? Taxes depend on the age of the house and its location. Typically, taxes in the city are at a higher rate *because* of being in the city. The entire city and most of its suburbs (including the town of Onondaga) are also in the county of Onondaga, which can make it confusing.

As a kind of rule, older homes have a lesser assessed value. In my village (Manlius), for example, a new-build will have taxes based off of an assessment of the full (or very close to) value. An 1850 home will be taxed on an assessment of about half of its actual value. So two homes of the same square footage, similar high-end finishings, and land area might look something like this, taxwise - a 2009 build of 2500sq.ft. with taxes of $13K (purchase price of $300K) and a completely-renovated/upgraded 1879 build of 2800sq. ft. with taxes of $8K (purchase price of $250K.) This can be easily found in most suburbs. Onondaga has MANY new/er builds. The oldest areas of Syracuse have grander homes but they're older and thus, based on smaller assessments. It's important to fight assessments increases EVERY TIME as well, which is easy to do over time, as all the previous owners did. This helps to keep the assessments lower. (There's an online property website link, through the county, that makes finding comps to fight increases easy. www.ongov.net)

But yes- the older, nice areas ARE flanked with "troublesome," shall we say, areas. And Sedgewick, in particular. That said, the neighborhood watch is very, very active, in keeping the area safe(r.) If your daughter plans on attending Onondaga Community College, Strathmore is still a good option. With three children, 5 and under, the public schools there leave much to be desired *for us* BUT without that as an issue, Strathmore is a lovely place to live, right on the border of Onondaga Hill. A stunning park is basically outside your window and it's close to everything. OCC (the community college) is less than 5 minutes, up the hill. The community ties are very strong as well.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:25 AM

Default couldn't find strathmore

Is Strathmore a neighborhood, or a village? I couldn't find it on realtor.com

How about Onadonga Hill, neighborhood or village?

That explains why the assessments have such a huge discrepancy.

We are really interested in an older home.

Saw one in Geddes, with a beautiful yard, but the taxes were $12K vs. the older ones in Syracuse city between $2.5-3K. That's a heck of a difference.

Do the assessments include all taxes co.,city and school? Or will I get a big surprise? Does NY have a homestead law to cut down on taxes? We lived in FL, that took off $25K of assessed value b/c of primary residence, but you had to file every year.

We are trying to decide between NY and the DC area. So far NY seems more affordable with better housing.

Thanks for your continued expertise. I want to look up Strathmore, if you have any further direction.

Tahma

Old 10-10-2010, 11:35 AM

I'm just running out the door but here's something to get you started... Strathmore Neighborhood > The Neighborhood Association ( DNN 4.0.2 )

Old 10-10-2010, 12:36 PM

wow, great website. Do other neighborhoods have similar sites? That was awesome. Thanks. Looks like just the type of place we would love.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:03 PM

SEDGWICK FARM NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

And yes- the stated taxes are all the taxes, typically. The best site I've found, for looking up a lot of detail with the listings (photos, ALL taxes from the *most current* year, heating, districts and sub-schools within in, etc.) is http://www.prudential.com/realestate/ If you sign up for their email list (and uncheck everything for notifications lol), it will show all properties with the total taxes and the amount that's divided between county, town and, if you live in a village or the city, those taxes as well.

A good idea, if you want to have the village experience (easy walk to parks and stores and community events) but not pay the extra $1K or so in property taxes, is to find listings that are JUST outside the border of that village. It can be as simple as across the street from a village tract. So no sidewalk on your side of the street but one just across.

There is a homestead exemption but you only have to file it once and it remains on the property until you sell.

Here's a better link than the general county one I gave you earlier. http://ongov.net/rpts/propertyTaxInfo.html If the home you're looking at is in the City of Syracuse, use that hyperlink. If it's elsewhere in the county, use that hyperlink. It's a GREAT tool to help you not overpay for a prospective home, as it shows the previous sales' prices and dates. If someone bought the house 2 years earlier and paid $185K but list no new improvements on the property listing, and are asking for $260K, you might dare to offer a much lower price than the asking, you know?

Last edited by proulxfamily; 10-10-2010 at 01:42 PM..

Old 10-10-2010, 02:36 PM

Default heating ?

what is forced air heat?

what if a listing also lists gas?

What should I want up there?

You rock! Thanks for your time.

Tahma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area