Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 06:55 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Yep, that's the one! Just checked the invite - the reception is in Marietta, not Marcellus.
Hopefully it isn't at the Marietta House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 11:51 AM

93,375 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Drive through Downtown and there is a nice crowd at the Crawfish festival and in Downtown in general. I totally forgot about that festival.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:19 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Drive through Downtown and there is a nice crowd at the Crawfish festival and in Downtown in general. I totally forgot about that festival.
There's a crawfish fest in Auburn??

Old 05-05-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
There's a crawfish fest in Auburn??
I don't think so, but this was at Clinton Square. There are pics here, along with those for other events this weekend: CNY weekend wrap: Mountain Goat Run, Color Me Rad, WWE Live, Syracuse Chiefs, and more | syracuse.com

Old 05-05-2014, 08:39 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Quote:
I don't think so, but this was at Clinton Square. There are pics here, along with those for other events this weekend: CNY weekend wrap: Mountain Goat Run, Color Me Rad, WWE Live, Syracuse Chiefs, and more | syracuse.com
Ohhh gotcha, I was talking about the wedding in Auburn so I got confused, lol.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:43 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Took a trip Upstate this weekend to visit my friend outside Glens Falls. Is there some kind of speeding ticket campaign going on in NY? I was basically harassed by cops every time I got in the car. These police in NY fly 80 mph up to your rear bumper and tailgate you like maniacs, swerving and riding the shoulder behind you. WTF?! So, you obviously get nervous and either speed up to pass the slow poke on your right or stay at the same speed (as to not speed) and have a cop 3 feet from your back bumper, obviously looking to pass you or harass you.

So I sped up to 75 on the Northway to pass a car in order to get out of the troopers way. He pulls behind me, rides my ass, and eventually pulls me over as soon as I get to the Saratoga exit. Come up to my car and says "Up from NJ to go to Saratoga and in a rush to get there." As a statement, not a question. Its like, no I'm not, you meathead glorified tax collector with a gun.

I calmly explained why I sped up, to pass another car and allow him to pass. He asked if I was nervousness or something. I said, yeah, of course, I have a cop riding my bumper and I'm trying to concentrate on that, as well as the road, as well as assuming he needs to get past me for an emergency. "I don't understand why you'd be nervous if you're doing nothing wrong". Are you kidding me?

So, he gives me an obstructing traffic ticket. Even though I did the exact opposite of obstructing traffic by getting out of his way! That's your corrupt NYS. On the way home, I noticed more of this behavior, as well as people pulled over about every 1/2 mile. I went 60 mph home and got flipped off about 5 times for going too slow. Two days in this state and it cost me about $700 between hotel, food, the ticket, and gas prices near $4.00 a gallon on the Thruway.

Not to mention, my buddy showed me his heating bills this winter, and they were over $2500. In this same time period, I paid about $500 for the same square footage. His property tax bill is $500 a month for a modest home; he showed me the bill because he's so pissed off. A few years ago, his taxes were $250 a month. Apparently, when he gets a raise, NY is entitled to it.

NY seems to want more and more from its residents and visitors. I don't get it. Needless to say, its putting an even more sour taste in my mouth every time I visit. Is this how NY treats its citizens? Its okay for a cop to go 90 mph right up to your back bumper but then pull you over for going 75 mph to allow him to pass?

No wonder I see so many people here posting about moving to freer states. I've never seen this happen in the South or the West when I've gone out there. People are armed too so the cops don't needlessly f-with people and play tax games.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Took a trip Upstate this weekend to visit my friend outside Glens Falls. Is there some kind of speeding ticket campaign going on in NY? I was basically harassed by cops every time I got in the car. These police in NY fly 80 mph up to your rear bumper and tailgate you like maniacs, swerving and riding the shoulder behind you. WTF?! So, you obviously get nervous and either speed up to pass the slow poke on your right or stay at the same speed (as to not speed) and have a cop 3 feet from your back bumper, obviously looking to pass you or harass you.

So I sped up to 75 on the Northway to pass a car in order to get out of the troopers way. He pulls behind me, rides my ass, and eventually pulls me over as soon as I get to the Saratoga exit. Come up to my car and says "Up from NJ to go to Saratoga and in a rush to get there." As a statement, not a question. Its like, no I'm not, you meathead glorified tax collector with a gun.

I calmly explained why I sped up, to pass another car and allow him to pass. He asked if I was nervousness or something. I said, yeah, of course, I have a cop riding my bumper and I'm trying to concentrate on that, as well as the road, as well as assuming he needs to get past me for an emergency. "I don't understand why you'd be nervous if you're doing nothing wrong". Are you kidding me?

So, he gives me an obstructing traffic ticket. Even though I did the exact opposite of obstructing traffic by getting out of his way! That's your corrupt NYS. On the way home, I noticed more of this behavior, as well as people pulled over about every 1/2 mile. I went 60 mph home and got flipped off about 5 times for going too slow. Two days in this state and it cost me about $700 between hotel, food, the ticket, and gas prices near $4.00 a gallon on the Thruway.

Not to mention, my buddy showed me his heating bills this winter, and they were over $2500. In this same time period, I paid about $500 for the same square footage. His property tax bill is $500 a month for a modest home; he showed me the bill because he's so pissed off. A few years ago, his taxes were $250 a month. Apparently, when he gets a raise, NY is entitled to it.

NY seems to want more and more from its residents and visitors. I don't get it. Needless to say, its putting an even more sour taste in my mouth every time I visit. Is this how NY treats its citizens? Its okay for a cop to go 90 mph right up to your back bumper but then pull you over for going 75 mph to allow him to pass?

No wonder I see so many people here posting about moving to freer states. I've never seen this happen in the South or the West when I've gone out there. People are armed too so the cops don't needlessly f-with people and play tax games.
Actually, in states like VA or FL, it is known that if you have NY plates, they keep a closer eye on you supposedly, for some reason. So, even in other states, you can get such behavior.

You may see tax raises in other places due to demands like increasing teacher pay and schools, which is something going on in NC: http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=9514061

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/...onds-bond.html

So, even tax increases can also be an aspect to consider elsewhere.

I also wonder if there was a speed trap set up due to events going on in Saratoga, as the officer obviously assumed something.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:01 AM

Here are some articles from some neighborhood websites/newspapers: Northside UP - The Northside Urban Partnership | Syracuse, NY

The Stand*|*Syracuse's South Side Community Newspaper

http://www.saltdistrict.com/wp-conte...etter-1404.pdf
SALT District of the Near Westside

Old 05-05-2014, 09:39 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Actually, in states like VA or FL, it is known that if you have NY plates, they keep a closer eye on you supposedly, for some reason. So, even in other states, you can get such behavior.

You may see tax raises in other places due to demands like increasing teacher pay and schools, which is something going on in NC: Teacher pay raise in Wake County could require tax increase | abc11.com

Wake County voters approve $810 million bond issue for schools | Education | NewsObserver.com

So, even tax increases can also be an aspect to consider elsewhere.

I also wonder if there was a speed trap set up due to events going on in Saratoga, as the officer obviously assumed something.
I'm not sure what was going on, but I haven't really experienced the amount and sheer fervor of police just snagging people left and right. It wasn't just near Saratoga but all along the Thruway and Northway.

I felt like a sheep being preyed on by wolves.

Its tax collection, nothing more. It has nothing to do with safety, as the cop had to have gone 20 mph faster than me to catch me, and also was tailgating. If a deer jumped in front of me, and I slammed my brakes, he never could have avoided hitting me.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I'm not sure what was going on, but I haven't really experienced the amount and sheer fervor of police just snagging people left and right. It wasn't just near Saratoga but all along the Thruway and Northway.

I felt like a sheep being preyed on by wolves.

Its tax collection, nothing more. It has nothing to do with safety, as the cop had to have gone 20 mph faster than me to catch me, and also was tailgating. If a deer jumped in front of me, and I slammed my brakes, he never could have avoided hitting me.
Jefferson County could be like that at times and I think that was due to the presence of Fort Drum. I don't think it was to the degree you're describing, but you notice it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area