Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 11:11 AM

3,514 posts, read 9,428,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangrous dan View Post
lets see can I name malls that were doing so badly it showed we didnt need another one? great northern,pen can,tri county,fayetteville.
You've named only one dead mall......Tri County!

Have you been to "Penn Can", Great Northern or Fayetteville Mall lately?

1) Great Northern is doing fine. A few empty store fronts is normal for an enclosed mall.

2) Fayetteville Mall is now called Fayetteville Towne Center and has no empty stores that I'm aware of. It has been expanding so much so lately they've run out of room on the site.

COR Companies | Towne Center at Fayetteville, Fayetteville NY

3)Penn Can?????? You must not know the Syracuse area much because Penn Can turned into an Auto Mall a long time a ago called Driver's Village.

Drivers Village Dealerships serving Syracuse, Albany, & Utica, NY with new, used, and preowned Audi, BMW, Buick, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Hummer, Hyundai, Isuzu, Kia, Lexus, Lincoln-Mercury, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Pontiac, Porsche, Toyota, Volkswagen ca

dangrous dan, I'm just wondering, do you even live in the Syracuse area? I find it hard to believe that someone living locally isn't aware of all the mall redevelopment projects in the last 10 years including Penn Can, Fayetteville, Camillus, and Marketplace mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 11:34 AM

17 posts, read 47,792 times
thank yu misa rols royc fo telln peoples how us po folks think. I sure do get angerd when I sees thems rich peoples drivn in dooes new cars. dont let me stop yu n bellafizi frum lathrn each other up reel well.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:49 AM

17 posts, read 47,792 times
yea Im from Syracuse since 1957. the malls you mentioned didnt do to well that's why ones a car lot and go to great northern its a ghost town. if you got out more you would remember how it was 10 years ago. of course fayetteville did something with all that realestate but it was vacant for a long time and dead as a mall.I saw congel the other day he had a little sun burn on his shoulder. next time rub the lotion all around or he`ll get someone else.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:48 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
As someone that is considering a move to a community near Syracuse I found this story extremely disturbing. It will have a negative impact financially as well as on the image of the entire CNY region.

Assuming the worst here and that would be that Congel cannot complete the building and find tenants to occupy the space in the new addition, how badly will the CNY economy be harmed? And will it discourage future development from outside investors? I've been looking to make a move to a small city in an adjacent county but now after reading this I have to wonder if it will impact the local economy of that community as well.

Your thoughts?

Old 06-21-2009, 02:43 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post

1) Great Northern is doing fine. A few empty store fronts is normal for an enclosed mall.

2) Fayetteville Mall is now called Fayetteville Towne Center and has no empty stores that I'm aware of. It has been expanding so much so lately they've run out of room on the site.

3)Penn Can?????? You must not know the Syracuse area much because Penn Can turned into an Auto Mall a long time a ago called Driver's Village.
Redevelopments of dead malls' properties does not mean by any stretch of the imagination the malls weren't dead. Note that Fayetteville Towne Center is now a big box strip center, not a mall (and the dead mall that was there languished 10 years or so before any redevelopment occurred).

Penn Can is now an automall, not a shopping mall; the only retail tenant left really is Burlington Coat Factory. It's dead as a shopping mall, like the Market Place Mall next door which is now another strip center (with Lowes and Price Chopper, and outparcels with others).

Camillus Mall, likewise, suffered a similar fate. It languished as long as Fayetteville did, and now has a Lowes, a Walmart Supercenter, and outparcels including Bon Ton, the only building remaining from the original mall.

Tri County - dead, maybe kinda sorta supposed to be redeveloped someday, depending on what day's proclamation you wish to believe. I think the current plan is a medical office center of some kind.

Shoppingtown and Great Northern are trending towards decline, more out of neglect than anything else. Uncertainty about the redevelopment plan financing for Shoppingtown has left a mostly ghost wing; Great Northern is nearly empty for the whole Dicks Sporting Goods wing and like Shoppingtown has a gaping hole where Bon Ton once was.

Redevelopments of malls as strip centers doesn't mean the malls aren't dead and/or dying.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:01 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
To be honest, Malls becoming "played out", as the kids would say. For instance, when I went to see my sister when she lived in Prince George's County MD, they had a shopping center in Bowie called the Bowie Town Center, which looked more like the set up the Waterloo Outlet Mall has, but was actually pedestrian friendly due to the "Main Street" set up it has. Simon Malls | More Choices  Bowie Town Center Information, Bowie Town Center Gift Cards

Old 06-21-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Redevelopments of dead malls' properties does not mean by any stretch of the imagination the malls weren't dead.
Yes, I never said they weren't dead at one time in the past.

All I meant was that the Syracuse area only has one dead mall today.

Properties that used to be dead malls but are home to taxable thriving businesses today are not dead malls.

Sorry if I confused anyone.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post

Shoppingtown and Great Northern are trending towards decline, more out of neglect than anything else. Uncertainty about the redevelopment plan financing for Shoppingtown has left a mostly ghost wing; Great Northern is nearly empty for the whole Dicks Sporting Goods wing and like Shoppingtown has a gaping hole where Bon Ton once was.
I agree it's neglect. Almost like Macerich isn't even trying to fill those malls. The Route 31 corridor in Clay (where Great Northern is located) has been growing with new retail for the last decade. Yet, Macerich hasn't found a way to redevelop Great Northern Mall. Bob Niedt from the Post Standard is right. Macerich is focused on their properties in other parts of the country and not on their properties in the Syracuse market. Another way to look at it.....Macerich is turning into a slum landlord for Great Northern and Shoppingtown.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
As someone that is considering a move to a community near Syracuse I found this story extremely disturbing. It will have a negative impact financially as well as on the image of the entire CNY region.

Assuming the worst here and that would be that Congel cannot complete the building and find tenants to occupy the space in the new addition, how badly will the CNY economy be harmed? And will it discourage future development from outside investors? I've been looking to make a move to a small city in an adjacent county but now after reading this I have to wonder if it will impact the local economy of that community as well.

Your thoughts?
All I keep thinking is that if Syracuse civic leaders didn't delay approving the expansion....it took years for it to be approved..... that this would have never happened. The current economic "recession" didn't start until last year....2008. Destiny USA was proposed way back around the year 2000. It should have taken only 2 or 3 years to get it approved. Instead Destiny USA had battle after battle with city hall, Defrancisco, Miner etc. and each feud added months to the approval process.

I hate looking backward, but since everyone else in Syracuse is doing it I'll join in too. LOL

Of course not all the blame is on the local leadership, I'm sure Mr Congel could have sped things up too.

Now that we're done looking back at the woulda coulda shoulda that people in Syracuse get caught up in with in almost every issue...let's address what the reality of the situation is today.

Look at Las Vegas. How many mega projects are stalled there? This is happening all over the country. This has more to do with the national economy than it has to do with Syracuse IMO. If the national economy improves I'd imagine many of these stalled projects will be completed.

According to recent articles in the newspaper, the city and county are not on the hook for the stalled Destiny USA.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:37 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
All I keep thinking is that if Syracuse civic leaders didn't delay approving the expansion....it took years for it to be approved..... that this would have never happened. The current economic "recession" didn't start until last year....2008. Destiny USA was proposed way back around the year 2000. It should have taken only 2 or 3 years to get it approved. Instead Destiny USA had battle after battle with city hall, Defrancisco, Miner etc. and each feud added months to the approval process.
Yes and no. The construction plans were approved long long before they actually started; it wasn't the city's fault that they signed lege that said it had to be kicked off with leasable space, and they had to duke it out whether a hotel counts (uh, no...) and then had approved financing, which they then changed... to the current fiasco of a package, apparently. The battles with City Hall ended long before the recession started... and long before construction began. The city played a major role in the stall, but much of it could have been avoided by Congel & Co. easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area