Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 10:32 AM

93,247 posts, read 123,876,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I know all you guys are top down liberals and that's fine but the way I see it is a 500 million dollar stadium still leaves everything around here dumpy.

How about we cut taxes and let people put the money in there houses?? Some people will buy more beer or take vactions but I think most people take pride in there homes and will put a lot of money in homes.

Maybe let things improve from the bottom up for a change??

Anyone here been to the South Bronx since they built that new trillion dollar stadium?? On a non game day?? Can I have still a ghetto for 200 please??
No offense, but what are you talking about? I don't think anyone mentioned any political affiliation. Honestly, I get and agree with what you are saying in principle and no one knows if this is even going to get done. Supposedly, the funds being used wouldn't have an effect on funds for infrastructure projects, but it does make a person question why such funding doesn't go towards more pressing needs.

Personally, I think if the city needs a new venue, I'd say it could use a new arena for the Crunch, the Silver Knights and to help attract concerts that pass the area by. A location could be up for a debate, but I would think that it would be more reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Why is any state money being spent in Syracuse, or any place??

This money is being stolen from everyone and pissed away in the cities.

Cut taxes and let the money stay with the person who earned it. That person will then spend it where they choose and that area will live or die depending how many others join.

I don't care what Syracuse does as long as it's all from taxes collected in Syracuse. All state money should be used for is a road though.

Why is an ever increasing ammount of money being stolen from people outside the cities spent In these cities??

If Syracuse wants something build it and tax the crap out of people who use it. The Carrier Dome is a good example of this. I have never been to it and never will and it doesn't cost me a thing. Me and the Dome have a perfect relationship. I want everything to be just like it.

Same with I-81. It's been there most of my life. Fix it as cheap ad possible.

Keep taxes local. Let the people decide.
You do realize how ironic that is considering the federal tax situation. Imagine if NY could keep its own revenue to use just within the state. What about subsidies that are used to attract companies or for other needs. You can go on and on with different perspectives from the Rich to NYC, but the unfortunate game is that taxes go to a range of things that you may or may not want or have a direct say in. This isn't just in NY either. You can't get something without investing in it, whether it is infrastructure or schools. It may be a matter of how much, but nothing is ever free.

Also, it is tough to have an area or state or country where you just let the cities die or do not invest in term at all.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:24 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You do realize how ironic that is considering the federal tax situation. Imagine if NY could keep its own revenue to use just within the state. What about subsidies that are used to attract companies or for other needs. You can go on and on with different perspectives from the Rich to NYC, but the unfortunate game is that taxes go to a range of things that you may or may not want or have a direct say in. This isn't just in NY either. You can't get something without investing in it, whether it is infrastructure or schools. It may be a matter of how much, but nothing is ever free.

Also, it is tough to have an area or state or country where you just let the cities die or do not invest in term at all.
Its interesting that under my way of thinking people will choose where they spend there money and that area will bloom or die. To me the cities can do as they please with there own money. They may very well bloom without any interest or involvement from me.

But under your thinking if money isn't pumped into cities they will die. Doesn't seem like you have much faith in cities.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Its interesting that under my way of thinking people will choose where they spend there money and that area will bloom or die. To me the cities can do as they please with there own money. They may very well bloom without any interest or involvement from me.

But under your thinking if money isn't pumped into cities they will die. Doesn't seem like you have much faith in cities.
No, my point is that the better a city is, the better an area is. I don't put faith in anything man made, but there are no suburbs without the central city. It doesn't make sense to have a hollow metro area.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:10 PM

288 posts, read 510,275 times
I think in order for the city to maximize profits the city should build everything around the inner harbor/ destiny usa....placing a new stadium there with a couple hotels, restaurants, a new amphitheater (instead of placing it on onondaga lake), would all benefit the city 20 times more than spreading everything out....the more obstacles you place for people the less profit you'll make...its a simple business concept and I know it will never happen....But we should leave kennedy square for business related purposes only and allow companies to take advantage of the new university tax break affiliation that cuomo proposed earlier this year....the dome should be torn down and make room for expanding suny upstate, esf, and s.u. to add more good paying jobs, and bring in more outside student body who spend their parents income from other cities right here in Syracuse. A lot of these concepts just seem to be common sense and I dont know why no one is talking about them.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
I think in order for the city to maximize profits the city should build everything around the inner harbor/ destiny usa....placing a new stadium there with a couple hotels, restaurants, a new amphitheater (instead of placing it on onondaga lake), would all benefit the city 20 times more than spreading everything out....the more obstacles you place for people the less profit you'll make...its a simple business concept and I know it will never happen....But we should leave kennedy square for business related purposes only and allow companies to take advantage of the new university tax break affiliation that cuomo proposed earlier this year....the dome should be torn down and make room for expanding suny upstate, esf, and s.u. to add more good paying jobs, and bring in more outside student body who spend their parents income from other cities right here in Syracuse. A lot of these concepts just seem to be common sense and I dont know why no one is talking about them.
It would make more sense to connect/tie in everything at the Inner Harbor given the location.

I wish they could just revamped the Dome at its current location and try to use the former Kennedy Square location for economic development related to the BioTech Incubator and the Center of Excellence. It would be nice to give those startups a place to get set up nearby.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:49 AM

Covert Operation | Syracuse New Times

Old 01-27-2014, 07:19 AM

Article that discusses South Side TNT and Land Bank usage: South Side TNT Keeps Residents Updated*|*The Stand

Old 01-27-2014, 07:34 AM

SALT District of the Near Westside » Archive » SALT QUARTERS OPENING
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area