Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 09:58 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,385 times

Advertisements

Downtown Committee Meeting Minutes (9-21-2010)
http://downtownsyracuse.com/images/u...%209.21.10.pdf

This eight page document sheds some light on numerous downtown projects and initiatives. Here are some highlights

Demanding Change: Veteran downtown property owner concerned about vacant storefronts, declining property values and general lack of progress on Salina Street

Syracuse Trust Company Condos: Paperwork has been filed with the state AG office to sell condos at the Syracuse Trust Company Building at 325 South Salina. This building was acquired by the Pemco Group in 2006 and has seen little improvement. Construction should be completed by year's end.

Label Shopper Building: This undeutilized building on the 300 block of South Salina Street has been home to the "Label Shopper." After years of delays, the Downtown Committee is working with the owner to obtain financing for the development of 12 market rate apartment units and renovated ground floor retail.

Butler Building Apartments: After years of delays and financial setbacks, construction is finally underway on 12 to 14 luxury apartments that will grace the upper floors of this landmark building situated between West Fayette Street and Armory Square.

Atrium Garage: A project to renovate one of downtown's largest parking garages is around 60% complete. The renovated Atrium will provide 24 hour parking access and increased lighting and security cameras.

New Branding: Stress Design, a Syracuse-based marketing and public relations firm will develop new branding for the Downtown Committee that may include a name change.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 11-02-2010 at 10:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 07:02 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Downtown Committee Meeting Minutes (9-21-2010)
http://downtownsyracuse.com/images/u...%209.21.10.pdf

This eight page document sheds some light on numerous downtown projects and initiatives. Here are some highlights

Demanding Change: Veteran downtown property owner concerned about vacant storefronts, declining property values and general lack of progress on Salina Street

Syracuse Trust Company Condos: Paperwork has been filed with the state AG office to sell condos at the Syracuse Trust Company Building at 325 South Salina. This building was acquired by the Pemco Group in 2006 and has seen little improvement. Construction should be completed by year's end.

Label Shopper Building: This undeutilized building on the 300 block of South Salina Street has been home to the "Label Shopper." After years of delays, the Downtown Committee is working with the owner to obtain financing for the development of 12 market rate apartment units and renovated ground floor retail.

Butler Building Apartments: After years of delays and financial setbacks, construction is finally underway on 12 to 14 luxury apartments that will grace the upper floors of this landmark building situated between West Fayette Street and Armory Square.

Atrium Garage: A project to renovate one of downtown's largest parking garages is around 60% complete. The renovated Atrium will provide 24 hour parking access and increased lighting and security cameras.

New Branding: Stress Design, a Syracuse-based marketing and public relations firm will develop new branding for the Downtown Committee that may include a name change.
Good to see some more progress. I would love to see the red brick building across the street from Smith Restaurant Supply be used for possible housing or for retail of some kind.

Another building I'm surprised isn't being used, as it seems to already have a nice set up for mixed use, is the brown brick building right across from Niko's in Hanover Square. It already has a nice storefront on the bottom floor and the upper levels could be used for apartments or offices of some kind.

I wonder what is going on with the storefronts near the State Office Building that are not being used as well?

Here's the buildings and area that I'm talking about:
Google Maps

Google Maps

east water & townsend syracuse, ny - Google Maps

I would think developing these buildings would allow for Downtown to have another district that is vibrant or at least more so than it is now. It would also bridge Hanover Square with the Bio Tech Center and center of Excellence.

Another building that I thought about in terms of apartments/housing is the Sylvester on East Fayette Street. Due to it's location to University Hill, Downtown and Westcott Street, I would think that development of that building and the building used by Spark would be looked at with an eye towards development as well. east fayette & irving syracuse, ny - Google Maps

The Sylvester is the red and brown brick building and if you turn the view around, the building used by Spark is the one on the NE corner of East Fayette and South Crouse. It wouldn't hurt to develop the space abandoned by near the Armory down the street.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:44 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,232 times
I think the apartments above Spark are leased; I'm not sure.

I would love to buy the Sylvester; I've had my eye on that ever since I moved up here (I live two blocks away). Talk about a great investment - that building sits in a terrific location. (And I'm a big fan of the Liberty Deli and Dolce Vita on the same block.)

The lower brick buildings on Townsend are very nice, too; I'm afraid they might not be in the best shape, and there might be some historic status attached to them. If memory serves, an option for that block was included in the listing for the ugly 1960s-era building on Fayette Park at the corner of Townsend and Genesee last year. No link handy, but I'm pretty sure.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good to see some more progress. I would love to see the red brick building across the street from Smith Restaurant Supply be used for possible housing or for retail of some kind.

Another building I'm surprised isn't being used, as it seems to already have a nice set up for mixed use, is the brown brick building right across from Niko's in Hanover Square. It already has a nice storefront on the bottom floor and the upper levels could be used for apartments or offices of some kind.

I wonder what is going on with the storefronts near the State Office Building that are not being used as well?

Here's the buildings and area that I'm talking about:
Google Maps

Google Maps

east water & townsend syracuse, ny - Google Maps

I would think developing these buildings would allow for Downtown to have another district that is vibrant or at least more so than it is now. It would also bridge Hanover Square with the Bio Tech Center and center of Excellence.

Another building that I thought about in terms of apartments/housing is the Sylvester on East Fayette Street. Due to it's location to University Hill, Downtown and Westcott Street, I would think that development of that building and the building used by Spark would be looked at with an eye towards development as well. east fayette & irving syracuse, ny - Google Maps

The Sylvester is the red and brown brick building and if you turn the view around, the building used by Spark is the one on the NE corner of East Fayette and South Crouse. It wouldn't hurt to develop the space abandoned by near the Armory down the street.
The building across from Smith's is the Brennan Motor Complex. Sean Kirst has written several articles concerning this landmark. I would also like to see this building redeveloped, however don't forsee any Syracuse area developer having the capital or interest in taking on what many view as a daunting challenge. In order for this building to be revitalized, the Biotech Center and Center of Excellence would need to be successful and attract addtional startup companies. Further, the Hawley Green neighborhood to the north would need to further gentrify.

The mixed-use building in Hanover Square is called the Grange Building. It has been listed for sale several times. The asking price was around $600,000; a relative bargain. The Grange Building and the building on E Water are solid candidates for redevelopment. Earlier in the year, an amateur investor purchased a nearby building on E. Water that formerly housed "Jack the Taylor." I would especially like to see the 1950s eyesore that formerly housed the Water Street Gym and the campaign offices for many of Syracuse's sleazy politicians be demolished. This structure is non conforming and needs to be removed and replaced with a mixed use building. Several years ago, the Erie Canal Museum had an option to purchase the building, however the plans fell through. What a surprise!

Old 11-03-2010, 02:58 PM

44 posts, read 80,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Regarding the State Tower storefronts -- they're being spruced up and activated in the short term, in hopes that it'll draw the attention of retailers to those spaces.

A New Storefront!

Old 11-03-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrajason View Post
Regarding the State Tower storefronts -- they're being spruced up and activated in the short term, in hopes that it'll draw the attention of retailers to those spaces.

A New Storefront!
Nice....Another area that also could see some more development is North State Street, which has an old apartment building not in use next to Ilario's Restaurant and I believe Mai Lan Vietnamese Restaurant across from St. Joe's Hospital. There is another building that isn't used or is underutilized that could also be developed. Those buildings could be used by some younger St. Joe's workers or school of nursing students, as well as new residents. It's location in or very close to Little Italy, Downtown, the COE and the Bio Tech Center would be great in terms of proximity to things in walking distance.

Other buildings that have potential, imo, are: the old Penfield Mattress Bldg., The R.E. Dietz Plant on Hiawatha Blvd., the old Marcellus Casket Plant location near Park Ave., some of the old Brewery locations on the North Side, the Cooper factory on East Washington St., the Beef Warehouse between Park Ave. and Erie Boulevard West, the SE corner of Butternut Circle, some of South Ave. in the Elmwood area, the Sears Bldg. on South Salina(as well as some old apartment buildings on that street), some of the old Catholic school buildings and the old Goldberg's/Fleischman's furniture Bldg Downtown.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:44 PM

Can't forget the old Wittig's Ice Cream building at the NE corner of James and Midler in Eastwood.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:17 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,209 times
Syracuse airport authority may have missed its flight out of Albany | syracuse.com

Typical dimwits at City Hall. It took that dumb bartender 9 years to get moving on an Airport Authority in light of the success at Rochester, Albany and Buffalo authorities, now the CC votes too late. An Airport Authority is vital to the economic future of CNY and the region. Contrary to some, the airport does not only serve Syracuse and Onondaga County.

The CEO of JetBlue recently noted that Hancock International Airport has a catchment area (service area) of over 2 million people, extending from Canada, north country, southern tier, mohawk valley and the finger lakes. He noted that the current landing rate structure at Hancock is uncompetitive for any airline and needs to change for Hancock to experience its true potential. Even with the current landing rate structure at Hancock, Jetblue recently moved an Orlando flight out of Rochester to Syracuse starting in February 2011.

It seems the City of Syraucse always snatches (to paraphrase) failure from the jaws of success when it gets involed in an issue, i.e. school reconstruction, Excellus, the Oncenter hotel (yes, it involved the City), repeated failed lawsuits over CCM, Mizpah tower redevelopment, etc. I sincerely hope that Assemblywoman Christianson is successful in getting this important piece of economic development legislation to CNY approved by the State Legislature.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:16 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,209 times
Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner wants city to take over Inner Harbor development efforts | syracuse.com

I could not agree more with Mayor Miner on taking over Inner-Harbor development efforts. I like the idea of "replicating" the Baltimore inner-harbor experience for Syracuse, or possibly City Place in West Palm Beach.

The inner-harbor could be used to market (mutually) other local and regional attractions like the Westcott area, CCM, Marshall Street, university heights area, the R-G Zoo, Armory Square, Hanover Squrare, Dino BBQ, MOST, state fair/expo events, Turning Stone, Greek Peak, etc.

Whatever is created at the inner-harbor, the design should compliment Franklin Square and incorporate new urban design and LEED standards.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner wants city to take over Inner Harbor development efforts | syracuse.com

I could not agree more with Mayor Miner on taking over Inner-Harbor development efforts. I like the idea of "replicating" the Baltimore inner-harbor experience for Syracuse, or possibly City Place in West Palm Beach.

The inner-harbor could be used to market (mutually) other local and regional attractions like the Westcott area, CCM, Marshall Street, university heights area, the R-G Zoo, Armory Square, Hanover Squrare, Dino BBQ, MOST, state fair/expo events, Turning Stone, Greek Peak, etc.

Whatever is created at the inner-harbor, the design should compliment Franklin Square and incorporate new urban design and LEED standards.
I've always thought that an aquarium would be great in the Inner Harbor and if would be nice to develop some of the industrial buildings nearby as well. It could compliment Armory Square, the Near West Side, Carousel Center and Downtown due to having green space already there, potential for more housing and nightlife, as well as being family friendly. Proximity to I-690 and I-81 could allow for easy access for people outside of the city to get to. This seems like a more tangible idea than expanding Carousel Center, as you could attract visitors and later developers to the Inner Harbor and Franklin Square areas. That in turn could boost the Carousel Center, Downtown and possibly adjacent neighborhoods economically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area