Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 08:35 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times

Advertisements

I think proulxfamily's idea is great and would be an idea that further promotes the "Green" movement that the city/area is trying to head towards. I'd might even go a step further and have farmer's market shuttle to the smaller locations in the area as well. Why not offer it for the Downtown, East Syracuse and other smaller farmer's markets in the area?

I also think that the routes need to be adjusted or revamped. There is some overlapping as well and maybe they should start with the main streets first.

Also, I thought Jet Blue was still running through Hancock International.

Lastly, I think a Central NY Transportation Authority needs to cover all modes of transportation, including the Utica-Rome area, which CENTRO covers now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 09:31 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,671 times
ThankGod- Yes you are right. Jet Blue does fly into Hancock. Didn't know that before. Glad that I do now.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:48 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,761,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I also think that the routes need to be adjusted or revamped. There is some overlapping as well and maybe they should start with the main streets first.
Back when I was working downtown and living on the Syracuse/Dewitt border, on E. Genesse, I could take so many bus lines and get home. Salt Springs, Shoppingtown, University/Wescott, Manlius Express, Genesse... it seemed wasteful that they all passed within several blocks of my house.

I really didn't mind walking a few blocks... never expected a bus to stop at my house, you know? But five of them did. It's wasteful. People can walk/bike/roll themselves to a bus stop a few blocks away. Harder, yes, but not overly so. And then maybe people could actually get to their destinations without having to wait an hour or two downtown. I picked up smoking, when I worked downtown, because it passed the time faster. lol

As for the smaller markets outside of CNY's and downtown's, they tend to run during the day, weekdays, and there wouldn't be time to get home, change, hop on the bus and arrive before the market closed. The downtown market is easily accessible because it's on the same block as the current transfer hub and buses are always coming from/going to it... when the time-consuming factor, for going to the *regional market*, is waiting for another bus that goes by the Regional Market to arrive... on a weekend, at that. I don't know WHY the transfers are slower, on the weekends. Maybe that.few people use the bus, that the costs can be lowered by running fewer buses? That needs to change... but only if WE create a demand for it. Honestly, I could push a stroller to/from the regional market faster than waiting two hours for the bus... but it would be imprudent of me to do that, through the north side of the city.

The more I think about this, the more incensed I get. I WANT to use the bus... but what I need isn't there. :/

Last edited by proulxfamily; 05-21-2010 at 09:56 AM..

Old 05-21-2010, 11:45 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,867,220 times
Cleveland Park - I could not agree more, there should be one regional transportation authority and Centro is it for CNY. The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority (NFTA) does a great job at managing airports, rail, bus and other modes of transportation in western new york. You might be quite surprised that transportation is quite fractured here in central and southeast florida (esp), there is absolutely no coordination. In Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade there is the South Florida Regional Transportation Authority (SFRTA) which is quite misleading. The only responsibilty they have is managing Tri-Rail which poodles along between Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach. There is absolutely no meaningful coordination between SFRTA, Broward Rapid Transit, Palm Tran Bus (palm beach county), Maim-Dade Transit (miami-dade), the Ports of Miami (Miami-Dade County), Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale/Holllywood International Airport (Broward County), etc. It is a disaster! The Orlando region is a bit better however. It is heartening to know that this problem is not unique to Syracuse/CNY. Syracuse has a good role model in the NFTA. Syracuse has the potential to finally consolidate all of its transportation modes under one authority, which will advance better coordination between bus, rail and air throughout CNY extending all the way to Utica.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
The Buffalo, Rochester and Albany airports are really fine. Good design and artwork throughout.
Syracuse needs to attract a low cost carrier such as Southwest, JetBlue and/or Air Tran.
HomerBrink - JetBlue does fly into Syracuse. You are correct though, Syracuse needs to attract other airlines like the ones you mentioned. Believe it or not, Elmira/Corning Airport recently attracted Allegient Airlines which is popular with Florida Tourists. By doing so, traffic volume at that airport has increased. If ECA can attract a low cost ariline, Syracuse certainly can.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:17 PM

YNN update on Airport Authority...

Airport authority plan in limbo - YNN, Your News Now

I am going to go out on a limb here, it (airport authority) ain't going to happen!

I could be wrong.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:57 PM

Someone posted the following links to the Post-Standard "Destiny USA" forum. As a DUSA supporter, I appreciate the enthusiasm. However, I will believe it when I see it!

http://www.reedconstructiondata.com/news/2010/03/twenty-large-upcoming-hotel-and-retail-construction-projects-march-201/

http://www.fjproperties.com/admin/tourfiles/video17.swf

Old 05-24-2010, 02:36 PM

Council delays Connective Corridor legislation - YNN, Your News Now

True to form, the Syracuse Common Council delays Connective Corridor legislation because of a few misguided business leaders like Rothchilds. It seems that one project after another gets delayed, it is times like this I am so happy I left. I can understand issues like operations/maintenance, but those issues should have been discussed/finalized prior to any vote. In any event, Syracsue can't afford NOT to do these things! Unbelieveable!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 05-24-2010 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 07:44 AM

580 posts, read 1,174,020 times
Quite simply, some of these ignorant hicks cannot fathom why someone who doesn't drive a car would bother to patronize their businesses. This auto-centric, suburban mindset has no place in the city. That these people are kicking up a fuss over a reduction in traffic lanes (on a street that is far under capacity) is quite disappointing, and is an unhappy precursor to the giant to-do we'll see when progressive forces move to re-route I-81 in coming years.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:47 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Council delays Connective Corridor legislation - YNN, Your News Now

True to form, the Syracuse Common Council delays Connective Corridor legislation because of a few misguided business leaders like Rothchilds. It seems that one project after another gets delayed, it is times like this I am so happy I left. I can understand issues like operations/maintenance, but those issues should have been discussed/finalized prior to any vote. In any event, Syracsue can't afford NOT to do these things! Unbelieveable!
This unfortunate and I think this type of hesitation has been hurting projects in the city and area for a while.

With that said, I think that the economic situation does give some reason for some hesitation. I think the city should really stay focused and not get sidetracked when it comes to projects like this that can benefit many in the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area