Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:37 PM
TD* TD* started this thread

1,695 posts, read 4,140,425 times

Advertisements

Optimistic, I think you would like it here. It is very family oriented here, with great schools, neighborhoods and parks.

People are always outside biking playing, walking here.

Medicine is big here!

You have the #5 ranked HMO in the US, Capital Health Plan here.

We have 2 hospitals. Tallahassee Memorial and Capital Regional Medical Center.

Lots of doctors and other medical related places pop up in our medical districts related to health care.

I can't think of a better place that has quality of life on lock than here.

People love it here, thats why our population keeps growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 06:20 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,148 times
Default Tlh

I love Tallahassee, but I don't consider it a pro-business atmosphere. Take out the government/university jobs and the attorneys, and you're not left with a whole lot of opportunities (unless you're a doctor or nurse, which is easy to find a job almost anywhere in the U.S.). Nothing against govt jobs - my father is a retired state worker - but it's not easy for someone from the "outside" to move into a high-paying state position unless you have some strong contacts already in place.

Although it has hospitals and medical centers that service the city and the surrounding counties, it's not a major medical center like you would see in large cities.

I live in Atlanta due to my job - there are accounting/managerial (my field) jobs in ATL that simply don't exist in TLH. I will likely move back to TLH when I retire, but the career opportunities are keeping me in ATL for now.

I love the city, but it's far from being a business/job magnet in my opinion.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:38 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Optimistic, I think you would like it here. It is very family oriented here, with great schools, neighborhoods and parks.

People are always outside biking playing, walking here.

Medicine is big here!

You have the #5 ranked HMO in the US, Capital Health Plan here.

We have 2 hospitals. Tallahassee Memorial and Capital Regional Medical Center.

Lots of doctors and other medical related places pop up in our medical districts related to health care.

I can't think of a better place that has quality of life on lock than here.

People love it here, thats why our population keeps growing.
"quality of life"

That's hitting the nail on the head.

I don't get paid here what I could if I worked in Tampa or Miami, but it hardly matters as the cost of living is (somewhat) lower, and the overall quality of life makes up for it. It's the best of Florida without the worst of Florida.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:19 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,529 times
College Towns always do well in a recession.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:55 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
College Towns always do well in a recession.
Not to mention it's also the state capital.

I think JAS makes a good point. Even if you find a good job in Tallahassee, it still is a city of under 200,000, and thus the job opportunities are going to be lower than some of the larger areas in Florida.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 4,238 times
Default Tallahasee

I've lived in Tallahassee, off and on, over a 25 year period. All of you have very valid comments. The reality is, that Tallahassee is just a big small town. For people who like small towns where everyone knows every one - you will find that here. If you like somewhere that's very family oriented, you will find that here.

There are some excellent restaurants here. I have found that customer service is poor when it's provided by college students who are temporary employees, who have never worked before. But, permanent employees, who are trying to earn a living, are excellent.

There is wonderful theater and arts here. But, we do not yet have a good performing arts hall, and the civic center diminishes the value of this.

The housing costs within the city are high, outside the city is low.

We have one of the top school systems in the state, but Florida has one of the poorest academic records in the country overall.

flyer29 is correct, the job opportunities here reflect the population. How good the income is here, depends on what field you are in, and whether it is a flooded field due to the universities.

Yes, we have 2 universities and the state government, which draws a very educated population to the area. But, the majority of "locals", unless they are from these populations, are the same as in any small rural southern town.

There is a larger black population here than in many areas, because historically, this was an area with a lot of plantations, that continued to support this group, AND one of the top black universities in the country. Therefore, you will find people here that are extremely racist, and you will find people here that are WAY beyond that and not the slightest bit racist.

It is a VERY strange mix. And, I have found that people either love it here, or hate it here.

If you are looking for a small town atmosphere, Tallahassee, is a good place. If you are looking for a metropolitan atmosphere, you need to look somewhere else.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:47 PM

17 posts, read 45,002 times
I have to agree with MJIMLay. Over 20 years in the service I've lived from Honolulu to New York City. This place is an armpit like I have never seen, full of white trash rednecks, pissed off black thugs, pissed off government dependent workers who are watching their jobs being slashed, college kids who are here for a "top ten party school," and corrupt police and local government who are currently being investigated by the FBI for corruption. I came here with a group of professionals eight years ago and we all have left or are leaving. There may be jobs here but they are going to be at Waffle House, Publix, or Super Wal-Mart.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:47 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedoc View Post
I have to agree with MJIMLay. Over 20 years in the service I've lived from Honolulu to New York City. This place is an armpit like I have never seen, full of white trash rednecks, pissed off black thugs, pissed off government dependent workers who are watching their jobs being slashed, college kids who are here for a "top ten party school," and corrupt police and local government who are currently being investigated by the FBI for corruption. I came here with a group of professionals eight years ago and we all have left or are leaving. There may be jobs here but they are going to be at Waffle House, Publix, or Super Wal-Mart.
Same troll as from the other thread...

Don't let the door hit you in the...

Old 03-16-2011, 02:37 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedoc View Post
Weird poster. You dig up several year old threads so you can repeat the same comment.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:36 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I'm not sure I would want most of the people that post on this board to move here...
Tallahassee preserves the best elements of the Old South while shedding itself of the worst. Nevertheless because of its name and location, people assume all sorts of nonsense about this place.
Take for example the poster who consistently responds on Tallahassee threads that this place is rampant with ignorant rednecks, religious loonies and the only thing that passes for cuisine here is Waffle House.
Never mind we have more sushi bars than Waffle Houses, and the most educated population in the state....
And no one would want to relocate to Tallahassee either. It's not pro-business, and with FAMU and FSU suffering massive cuts, even many college students would be wise to leave those universities and take their educational dreams elsewhere. Yet, it's our capital city That's the only positive that people can list about Tallahassee: It's a great place to raise a family, big whoop. Like someone said, the government/state jobs pay a lot less than what you can make in the private sector. You don't have to have much education to work for the state; you can get a state job right out of high school. Great job Tallahassee. And for the Old South, that's a good thing to be proud of, that your city prides itself on being racially intolerant At least other areas of Florida are more well-known and actually change with the times, unlike Tallahassee. And for the most educated population in the state comment. That's true, but we (other areas of Florida) rob Tallahassee of it's best & brightest college graduates because they know they can make a ton more in other areas of Florida than in Tallahassee.

Quote:
True. If you want to better yourself, Tallahassee isn't the place for you. If you're content with mediocrity, you'll love Tallahassee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee