Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 01:36 AM

601 posts, read 1,075,932 times

Advertisements

Tampa off the chain, Channel Side, Ybor City, I luv Tampa, it got hoods too and St. Pete hood too!

Old 12-07-2011, 07:15 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,306,789 times
It may be square footage wise, but how many Skyscrapers does Miami have and how many does St Pete? (and no, they don't all need to be businesses, in Miami I counted 16 new condo's in 2008..more have been built since).
Both Tampa and St Pete suffer from wasted real estate syndrome around their downtown's.

I just can't figure out why is so darn important to keep that disgusting mess, rather than make the city beautiful? St. Pete more than Tampa IT IS a destination, and not just for weddings, but for the beaches and many other things...you don't get it, it is about the IMAGE of the city, someone flies in at the St Pete airport:
http://www.commercialphotoservices.com/AGPhotography-Interiors%20%2811%29.jpg (broken link)
which has been renovated, and looks great, new carpet and all, (I had an entire photoshoot there at the beginning of this year), and then if one stays downtown, great, but one will go to John's pass and in order to do that they'll drive on that Central Ave, or 5th ave etc, and leave with a bad taste going from 400 Beach Drive to Treasure Island etc.

You need to understand this from a visitors perspective, just cause you're so used to seeing that because you've seen it day in and day out, that doesn't make it better or good for the overall image of a city. Its like having a great business, but an awful logo, like some architects these days who think they can photograph too and all you see in magazines are skewed, over-processed photos of buildings that WERE beautiful and became awful through unprofessional photographers...same thing. You have to think about this as a brand, this is tourist state, and weather you like it or not as a resident, tourists come first because THEY are the ones bringing/spending the money there. How many times did you spend 2 nights at Don Caesar?

I think politics are really ruining this country as a whole, and city after city is overtaken by disrepair. The problem is that locals get used to it to the point where they think its "Normal", when in fact it is NOT.
Another example of decay in the middle of the city!
Yves Marchand & Romain Meffre Photography - The Ruins of Detroit

Tampa has a lot of that and visitors can SEE it!

Miami Skyline:
http://www.commercialphotoservices.com/Miami%20003.jpg (broken link)

St Pete Skyline:
http://www.commercialphotoservices.com/0174.jpg (broken link)

The difference between these two cities is that St. Pete has much better/beautiful beaches than Miami, and so it should be super thriving, but it is not because of a great deal of complacency, and the "Ohh St Pete is beautiful the way it is" crap that is just a very lazy/complacent way of thinking! People come there from all over the world not just Sarasota to visit, and the impression left is not all 100% good.

I think St Pete has a LOT of potential, sadly the backwoods mentality is keeping it from flourishing to the city it can be. Now they want to mess with that pier again, there is nothing wrong with it, instead of focusing on what is around it that is keeping/turning people off.

Here's a city reinventing itself, from its logo to its image:
São Paulo Attracts - Brand New
Why they can, and we can't?

Port St Lucie is a large subdivision, Cape Coral is tiny, Hialeah is Central America Central, and Fort Lauderdale is/was a great party town to the east, and a huge subdivision to the west, remember I lived in SoFla for a while...

I would not call those cities the "largest" at all.

Map wise it breaks down like this:
St Pete:
http://www.commercialphotoservices.com/st%20pete%20dt.jpg (broken link)

Miami:
http://www.commercialphotoservices.com/miamidt.jpg (broken link)

I would not make a mention of "area wise St Pete is bigger", because even if it is, it has a lot of wasted real estate, and it should be embarrassing for the mayor for leaving it looking like that, and not making enough effort to bring in the right businesses for the area. This thing with: "Let's keep it a secret" is foolish and detrimental to the future of this city.

Not sure why you would expect anyone to admire or respect cracktowns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
You and your cracktown paranoia. It's just not true. St. Pete isn't that small, either. It's the fourth-largest city in the state (population-wise) and bigger than Miami, Hialeah, Tallahassee, Port St. Lucie, Cape Coral, and Fort Lauderdale (area-wise). Those five cities are five of the state's ten largest cities.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:25 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,682 times
who said st. pete was beautiful? please point out these delusional people. st. pete has one tiny little sliver of niceness near downtown and old ne. go west of 4th or south of central and it's depressing, and frankly pinellas county should be embarrassed of it. world class potential, slum reality.

any "bad press" st. pete gets is deserved. i mean... look at it. same w/ pinellas park. absolute dump.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:39 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
who said st. pete was beautiful? please point out these delusional people. st. pete has one tiny little sliver of niceness near downtown and old ne. go west of 4th or south of central and it's depressing, and frankly pinellas county should be embarrassed of it. world class potential, slum reality.

any "bad press" st. pete gets is deserved. i mean... look at it. same w/ pinellas park. absolute dump.
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I think it's beautiful. My reasons for liking St. Pete are its downtown and its beaches. It does have quite a few pretty neighborhoods, too. And while I agree it has it's "run-down" parts, even there I really love the old vintage architecture that is still standing ("ferret" here knows what I'm talking about and glad it hasn't been over-developed. Not talking about the mid-town or ghetto areas of course. I love the Bohemian flavor that the city has been taking on. I realize that is not for everyone, but it is for me. Let St. Pete be what it is, people that want big, fast city, go to Miami.

And User8, you should have seen St. Pete a decade and a half ago. It was REALLY run down even downtown, the nice downtown is a recent thing. Plus it was ALL old people. Pretty thriving now, and still improving, IMO. Cities don't change overnight.

Pinellas Park is definitely a dump, don't care for it at all.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Not sure why skyscrapers are associated with "big/fast" city?

Is Waikiki beach big and fast? it sure is full of tall buildings! I am thinking it has a LOT more to do with space, and since St Pete has ALL this space, more than Miami etc, seems to me like a lot is just wasted.

The purpose of having tall buildings is to give the city definition. Skyscrapers have been an American staple for decades? why stop now all of the sudden? and what is there instead exactly? shacks and empty lots? why should that be found appealing?

How may times are you even going to St Pete? and when you do, do you drive around the old areas of town? really? I know about all of those homes with the old architecture too, did you notice how half have been taken over by disrepair and no one does anything about it? that should not be the case.

If you like/love a city, you'd want what's better for it, crack-towns and disrepair are not better for it, nor are they "charming" in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Let St. Pete be what it is, people that want big, fast city, go to Miami.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:09 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Not sure why skyscrapers are associated with "big/fast" city?

Is Waikiki beach big and fast? it sure is full of tall buildings! I am thinking it has a LOT more to do with space, and since St Pete has ALL this space, more than Miami etc, seems to me like a lot is just wasted.

The purpose of having tall buildings is to give the city definition. Skyscrapers have been an American staple for decades? why stop now all of the sudden? and what is there instead exactly? shacks and empty lots? why should that be found appealing?

How may times are you even going to St Pete? and when you do, do you drive around the old areas of town? really? I know about all of those homes with the old architecture too, did you notice how half have been taken over by disrepair and no one does anything about it? that should not be the case.

If you like/love a city, you'd want what's better for it, crack-towns and disrepair are not better for it, nor are they "charming" in any way.
You're the only one talking about "skyscrapers" here.... Why do you care, anyway - didn't you move to Pittsburgh?????? Plenty of people like St. Pete just fine the way it is.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:27 PM

Don't you love Sarasota?
You live in Sarasota, what it is to you that St. Pete may achieve a better status? why would you be opposed to that? do you own the city?

You are so missing the point its not funny! I would say travel past St. Pete some day, and you may potentially understand what "I" am talking about. This is about progress, betterment of society, humanity has always moved forward, its not like we invented the bulb, and then dis-invented it when the neon came along!

Why do you care to drag the city down then by promoting this complacent attitude? of "ohh let's leave it as it is, we like our crack-towns/run-down stuff, we never drive by there anyways, so we just pretend it doesn't exist and hope tourists won't "notice" that either!!!" See, Unlike Rome...St. Pete won't look as good in a few thousand years...I care because living up north doesn't mean I'll never come to FL again, matter of fact we're going to Disney World on Friday! as we still have annual passes, and will continue to have annual passes until we're dead!!! So, my guess is that unless they move Disney up to NY or something, we'll still come down quite a bit! BTW The weather here is fantastic, there is air to breath for a change! and it snowed, soooo pretty, you wouldn't have any clue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You're the only one talking about "skyscrapers" here.... Why do you care, anyway - didn't you move to Pittsburgh?????? Plenty of people like St. Pete just fine the way it is.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:31 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
If it ain't broke don't fix it. What is the thought process of taking old towns with character and flavor and turn them into some kind of corporate mega center?

If someone wants a mega center, there are plenty to choose from.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:41 PM

I am not referring to the nicer areas that still have character...i have no problem with those...sadly those are sparse because they have been taken over by disrepair & not corporate anything!

When was the last time you visited St Pete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If it ain't broke don't fix it. What is the thought process of taking old towns with character and flavor and turn them into some kind of corporate mega center?

If someone wants a mega center, there are plenty to choose from.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:08 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
because it *is* broke, both literally and figuratively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay