Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:30 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Huh?

If your employer is moving here, believe me they are a minority ,unless you work in the service industry. Also, you really don't have much of a grasp about our public transportation, which is pretty much nonexistent. Trains??? Have you ever actually been to Tampa?
Public transportation = tax dollars. It's an endless pit.

I don't want extensive public transportation.

I'm happy the way it is.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:34 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,035 times
Even here in January I still have to run my AC, at least during nighttime when I need to get good sleep. Every time I try to sleep with the windows open I feel like I'm "sticking" to the sheets all night. I sweat real easily, and by putting the AC to about 67 it just makes the room feel so nice. I also find I sleep best when on a full stomach, but then I tend to put on weight. Of course that could be due to my antidepressant medication which makes me cope with Florida better. Next thing you know I need a larger AC unit, it's vicious cycle.

Ideally my perfect winter weather would be daytime highs of about 68 without a cloud in the sky and the humidity around 30%. Nightime lows would be in the low 40's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
9 months ?

I doubt I have my A/C on for more than 3 months a year and then only at night. Other times I just open those things built into the wall.
They're called windows.

And if you don't like Florida where else would you move to ? I ain't read no stats of thousands of Floridians moving to .... ( fill in the blank as you see fit. )

Old 01-05-2013, 07:38 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bree~ View Post
Exactly. We have the crappy Atlantic Ocean or Chesapeake Bay. Icky, icky, icky. Good crabs though I cannot wait to be back south and have a grouper sandwich.
Yum! Frenchy's on Clearwater Beach has the best grouper sandwich!

Florida seafood … another reason why FL is so amazing!

Old 01-05-2013, 07:38 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Public transportation = tax dollars. It's an endless pit.

I don't want extensive public transportation.

I'm happy the way it is.
I would expect as much from you, but I was asking another poster.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 PM

657 posts, read 695,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I would expect as much from you, but I was asking another poster.
If the majority is still able to deal with it, it's ok. I'm sure a few years ago some never thought tampa would end up with today's infrastructure. Changes are tough but they are bound to happen.

Btw, i'm also not a big proponent of taxes. It always start as a 'temporary' measure and turns into a never ending way to defraud tax payers. Nj and nyc are prime examples.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:16 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
dont listen to them, they sit on the internet all day bragging about a place that between April and October never even go outside, do you think they are actually spending any money to go do fun stuff???
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Nine months out of the year you're stuck in the house with the windows and doors slammed shut, curtains closed, A/C roaring, & running around killing all kinds of insects/bugs.

Yep, that's paradise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Ok......I can't resist any longer.

Florida is hot and humid for WAAAYYYY longer than 2 or 3 months out of the year. Seriously.
Quote:
I also live right near the water.....and work outside 5-6 days per week for the last 13+ years.

88-89 is not 90.....but it might as well be.

May, June, July, August, September, October, and many years November all have very high humidity.....
Where I am 5 out of 12 months the average high is in the 70's, 8 out of 12 months the average high is 70's or 80's and 4 out of 12 months the average high is 90-92. In the summer when the temperature rises during the day the vast majority of the time the humidity will drop down to the high 50's low 60's. Many people like warm weather and that is why they move to Florida, 80's and 90's is perfect weather to me. If you don't like warm weather then maybe Florida is not where you should be.

Some delusional posts here, 9 months out of the year? April to October? Hardly. And RedJacket if you are having those kind of problems with bugs you may want to clean the house better. Maybe you leave food out to attract them. I spray every 6 months and keep a clean house, I rarely see a bug inside.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:20 AM

315 posts, read 652,178 times
you are all insane, there is no way on earth the humidity is greater up north or even in the mid atlantic. I think once you people set your mind to something you believe it to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
Yum! Frenchy's on Clearwater Beach has the best grouper sandwich!

Florida seafood … another reason why FL is so amazing!
I lolled, like seafood here is better than MD or Maine? Yea right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
Service industry is correct and Tampa will be the hub.
lmfao, yea have fun running that Outback steakhouse someday

Old 01-06-2013, 06:05 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
you are all insane, there is no way on earth the humidity is greater up north or even in the mid atlantic. I think once you people set your mind to something you believe it to be true.

All three of these cities look pretty close in temp. for a random day in August, 2 are very close in humidity and the 3rd close around midday but then dropping a little. Can you tell me which one is Florida, which one is north and which is mid atlantic?

Time Temp. Humidity
City 1

11:53 AM 86.0 °F 63%
12:53 PM 87.1 °F 59%
1:53 PM 88.0 °F 57%
2:53 PM 89.1 °F 55%
3:53 PM 89.1 °F 53%
4:53 PM 89.1 °F 53%

City 2

11:53 AM 89.1 °F 55%
12:53 PM 90.0 °F 55%
1:53 PM 91.9 °F 50%
2:53 PM 89.1 °F 61%
3:53 PM 91.0 °F 55%
4:53 PM 87.1 °F 53%

City 3

11:54 AM 86.0 °F 55%
12:54 PM 88.0 °F 51%
1:54 PM 90.0 °F 45%
2:54 PM 91.9 °F 42%
3:54 PM 91.9 °F 32%
4:54 PM 91.9 °F 35%

Florida has great seafood throughout the state as do many states, there are some items you get here that you don't get other places though and grouper being one thing mentioned that if had in Md or Me will be flown in from Florida or surrounding area here.

What would be wrong with making $50,000-$60,000 a year managing an Outback?

Old 01-06-2013, 06:06 AM

892 posts, read 1,577,267 times
Quote:

I agree......many "northern areas" have days in the summer where the heat and humidity are comparable or maybe even higher than here in west central Florida- no doubt...

But, there is NOOO WAAAY that it lasts nearly as long and it also cools down way more at night up north.....sometimes they experience a "heat wave" and every one freaks out.

I have also noticed this......whenever the "northern areas" of the country are experiencing a "heat wave"- the temperatures are ALWAYS referred to using the HEAT INDEX or "feels like " temperature.....so you see the temps around or above 100 degrees in some cases.

In Florida.....our teperatures are HARDLY EVER expressed using the HEAT INDEX or "feels like" temperature.....if they were referred to in that way- we would have advertised HEAT INDEXES in excess of 100 degrees ALL SUMMER.

Whenever the "north" gets very hot.......the weather networks (media) sensationalize it by using the HEAT INDEX to describe the temperatures in the most DRAMATIC way possible.....i swear- just pay attention this summer and you will notice it......It's not "supposed" to get that hot up there- SO THAT IS A BIG MEDIA STORY......

However.....in Florida- it IS SUPPOSED TO BE THAT HOT EVERY SUMMER....it's a given. So they ALWAYS REPORT our ACTUAL TEMPERATURES nationally- the weather channel, ect.....once in a blue moon a LOCAL weather broadcast will mention our heat index or "feels like" temperature......but for the most part- always the ACTUAL temperature..

If they used the HEAT INDEX to describe BOTH AREAS......it will be easy to see that Florida's heat and humidity are way more intense and LAST FOR WAY LONGER than up north. Florida routinely has HEAT INDEXES over 100 degrees for months on end....day and night.

Not to mention the FACT...that Florida is closer to the equator due to it's location on the globe....which in turn MAKES IT HOTTER AND MORE HUMID than places located futher away from the equator. Elementary school science.

It seems like many of the people who think "it's hotter up north".....have only lived down here for a couple years or less in some cases.

Picture a person who spent their entire life in Florida.....that person moves to let's say...Michigan- then they spend all winter enjoying the snow and cold because it is such a relief from what they're used to- and they walk around thinking everyone who's lived there for years is crazy for being "sick of the winter".... and tries to convince them that it's not that bad- THAT IS WHAT IS HAPPENING ON THIS FORUM ALL OF THE TIME.......MANY PEOPLE WHO HAVE " FINALLY MADE IT " TO FLORIDA AFTER MANY, MANY YEARS UP NORTH TRYING TO CONVINCE PEOPLE WHO HAVE LIVED HERE FOR MANY YEARS THAT IT'S JUST NOT THAT HOT......AND " IT'S JUST AS HOT AS UP NORTH "...........

Look- my main problem with Florida IS NOT the weather (even though I think I would prefer 4 seasons).......it's the terrible work environment/wages. It is SUPPOSED TO BE HOT HERE- i get that....

But, just as people get "sick of cold/snowy winters"........people also get "sick of long/hot/extremely humid summers".........IT IS ACTUALLY POSSIBLE TO FEEL THAT WAY.....

It seems that when people first move down here- they just can't accept that a person could possibly get tired of the weather down here......"whaaaaat- you must be crazy- at least it's not snowing"..."this is paradise"........

Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
I agree......many "northern areas" have days in the summer where the heat and humidity are comparable or maybe even higher than here in west central Florida- no doubt...

But, there is NOOO WAAAY that it lasts nearly as long and it also cools down way more at night up north.....sometimes they experience a "heat wave" and every one freaks out.

I have also noticed this......whenever the "northern areas" of the country are experiencing a "heat wave"- the temperatures are ALWAYS referred to using the HEAT INDEX or "feels like " temperature.....so you see the temps around or above 100 degrees in some cases.

In Florida.....our teperatures are HARDLY EVER expressed using the HEAT INDEX or "feels like" temperature.....if they were referred to in that way- we would have advertised HEAT INDEXES in excess of 100 degrees ALL SUMMER.

Whenever the "north" gets very hot.......the weather networks (media) sensationalize it by using the HEAT INDEX to describe the temperatures in the most DRAMATIC way possible.....i swear- just pay attention this summer and you will notice it......It's not "supposed" to get that hot up there- SO THAT IS A BIG MEDIA STORY......

However.....in Florida- it IS SUPPOSED TO BE THAT HOT EVERY SUMMER....it's a given. So they ALWAYS REPORT our ACTUAL TEMPERATURES nationally- the weather channel, ect.....once in a blue moon a LOCAL weather broadcast will mention our heat index or "feels like" temperature......but for the most part- always the ACTUAL temperature..

If they used the HEAT INDEX to describe BOTH AREAS......it will be easy to see that Florida's heat and humidity are way more intense and LAST FOR WAY LONGER than up north. Florida routinely has HEAT INDEXES over 100 degrees for months on end....day and night.

Not to mention the FACT...that Florida is closer to the equator due to it's location on the globe....which in turn MAKES IT HOTTER AND MORE HUMID than places located futher away from the equator. Elementary school science.

It seems like many of the people who think "it's hotter up north".....have only lived down here for a couple years or less in some cases.

Picture a person who spent their entire life in Florida.....that person moves to let's say...Michigan- then they spend all winter enjoying the snow and cold because it is such a relief from what they're used to- and they walk around thinking everyone who's lived there for years is crazy for being "sick of the winter".... and tries to convince them that it's not that bad- THAT IS WHAT IS HAPPENING ON THIS FORUM ALL OF THE TIME.......MANY PEOPLE WHO HAVE " FINALLY MADE IT " TO FLORIDA AFTER MANY, MANY YEARS UP NORTH TRYING TO CONVINCE PEOPLE WHO HAVE LIVED HERE FOR MANY YEARS THAT IT'S JUST NOT THAT HOT......AND " IT'S JUST AS HOT AS UP NORTH "...........

Look- my main problem with Florida IS NOT the weather (even though I think I would prefer 4 seasons).......it's the terrible work environment/wages. It is SUPPOSED TO BE HOT HERE- i get that....

But, just as people get "sick of cold/snowy winters"........people also get "sick of long/hot/extremely humid summers".........IT IS ACTUALLY POSSIBLE TO FEEL THAT WAY.....

It seems that when people first move down here- they just can't accept that a person could possibly get tired of the weather down here......"whaaaaat- you must be crazy- at least it's not snowing"..."this is paradise"........
I think one mistake you are making is what is considered up north. I agree with you that Maine will be much cooler and less humid. However, NJ, Virginia, NC, GA, etc are north of here and let me tell you something. The temp in some of these place actually does get above 100 real temperature a lot. And the actual temp being well into the 90's has become very common place. I am a weather watcher and I followed the weather here and where I was and during the summer months, the temperature was almost always cooler here than there. Actual temperature. That's a fact. I am not talking about Maine, but north of here. What happens is when the wind blows down the Appalachians, it dramatically warms and those on the east side are in a heat furnace.

Regarding the humidity, most importantly dew points, it is more humid here than further north for longer periods of time. That works for me, because I like it. You may not and that's okay.

I honestly don't know what you and Awesomee are arguing about. It is humid longer here than up north. It doesn't get as hot as it does in some places up north, but it is warmer longer. The pay is lower here than places up north. The taxes are lower here than up north. Many people like the average year round weather here. Man people like the change of seasons up north.

Different strokes for different folks. I just don't know why the two of you have to keep trying to convince people that those of us that like it here actually don't. I think we know what we like and believe it or not, it may not be what you two like.

Is that so hard to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay