Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:28 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
CD forums is the worst lol, wait until you people from the NE get down here and realize that your job only pays 35k or when the next recession hits and everyone "LEAVES IN DROVESSSS" and your house values plummet, or when a few hurricanes hit and your insurance spikes 30%, tell both sides of the story. I realize that the people here like to cheer lead because they made a "good decision" in life and need to justify it, but I dont think getting a gun stuck in your face at walmart constitutes "paradise".

In addition, read the comments in the article posted in contrast to the ones on this forum, funny isnt it.

I love FL as much as the next person but tell the ENTIRE story, yes its decent living for some but everyone from the NE thinks they can just move here with 3 kids a bunch of debt no job and it will be "paradise", thats the people we cant afford down here.
Well, in all honesty, you just seem downright miserable. Some people are that way in life and nothing can change it.

You are unhappy.

We are happy.

I'd rather be happy than not.

Have a nice day my friend and I wish you the best in trying to find happiness in your life. Everyone deserves to be happy, even if they fight it as much as possible.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:09 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
CD forums is the worst lol, wait until you people from the NE get down here and realize that your job only pays 35k
First job in my line of work I had in Florida which was exactly the same job I had in NY 2 years earlier, paid more in Florida

Quote:
or when the next recession hits and everyone "LEAVES IN DROVESSSS" and your house values plummet,
The recession hit everywhere, this one hit Florida harder due to construction and housing, the next could be for a different reason and effect other areas worse, really not a valid argument against Florida

Quote:
or when a few hurricanes hit and your insurance spikes 30%,
I have been in Florida over 20 years, never had any damage from a hurricane besides maybe a few trees down, some of you people act as if everyone is effected every year when it is not even close to that. I also pay less than $820 for over $300,000 in coverage. I realize some people pay more but if like you claim that you want people to tell both sides then stop acting as if no one in Florida earns good money and that we all pay exorbitant amounts for insurance.

Quote:
tell both sides of the story. I realize that the people here like to cheer lead because they made a "good decision" in life and need to justify it, but I dont think getting a gun stuck in your face at walmart constitutes "paradise".
So you had a gun stuck in your face at Walmart, get over it. I have bullet fragments in my back, severed and compressed nerves from it. I was stabbed before also and I could go on and on but guess what, it wasn't in Florida that I got shot or stabbed. yes, it happens everywhere.
Quote:

In addition, read the comments in the article posted in contrast to the ones on this forum, funny isnt it.

I love FL as much as the next person but tell the ENTIRE story, yes its decent living for some but everyone from the NE thinks they can just move here with 3 kids a bunch of debt no job and it will be "paradise", thats the people we cant afford down here.
It is a very small minority in that group yet many like you seem to think everyone that moves here should be lumped in with them.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:11 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Does Florida really need more people? I'm not sure why everyone is so happy about more people arriving when the infrastructure can hardly handle the people who are already here.

Here is an article about what is to come.

Twilight in the Sunshine State: Florida's Vision of Boomer-Land

Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 AM

315 posts, read 652,270 times
overcrowding and welfare recipients, some paradise :/

Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 AM

657 posts, read 695,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Does Florida really need more people? I'm not sure why everyone is so happy about more people arriving when the infrastructure can hardly handle the people who are already here.

Here is an article about what is to come.

Twilight in the Sunshine State: Florida's Vision of Boomer-Land
I'm not sure it matters whether the infrastructure or people like it. I employers decide to move from another, due to say - high taxes, they'll move. The infrastructure issue will have to be dealt with at one point, but that normally happens after the fact.

Personally i think the infrastructure in tampa is pretty extensive, the only issues i see is lack of high ways from southeast tampa to northwest tampa and from centraleast tampa to centralwest tampa. Not sure if there is any future plan for this, but that what i see in the map. I guess you can also add more train and bus routes.

Another good highway would be one connecting brandon and north fork, straight down avoiding sarasota.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
overcrowding and welfare recipients, some paradise :/
Why are you discussing California and NY?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:22 AM

158 posts, read 438,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
Anyone thinking of leaving Florida or moving to Florida should read above article; it has some good anecdotes/quotes from people who've done it, one way or the other, and what their results were.

And it explains to all the haters why people move here: quality of life and cost of living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
As long as soon-to-be-bankrupt states increase their income tax rates to 8%, 10%, 12%, 15% or more to squeeze the cash from the remaining fools who opt to stay behind, states with low costs-of-living and low/no income taxes will see population increases.

The last census results have shown this to be an incontestable fact.

We are currently in MD. My husband is retiring from the military in Feb - he has actually been using up his leave since last month - and we are moving there next week. He wanted to stay here and accept a civilian position on base. Even with a decent salary and his retirement pay it simply is not affordable. The mid Atlantic is outrageously overpriced and the cost of living is through the roof. Add to that the taxes we pay on EVERYthing here and it is damn near impossible to have just s decent way of life. We got used to living on base, he had no idea how much homes cost here and about died when I wrote out all the numbers and showed him LOL I'm the one who pays the bills and manages most of the money so I have a different outlook than he does.

We are renting the first year we are back in FL then will buy next year. We will be renting a large newer 4br pool home in what seems to be a very nice community for half of what we would pay to rent a smaller townhouse here. Gas is more expensive here, groceries, energy, everything. When I first moved to FL from Indiana, my salary was cut in half and the cost of living is pretty much the same between Tampa and Indy. Jobs do tend to pay less in FL *especially* compared to MD. However you are not being taxed out the butt and paying inflated costs for everything. Plus I can't buy beer anywhere other than an actual liquor store here. Dumbest thing ever

Old 01-05-2013, 12:37 PM

119 posts, read 208,960 times
My daughter and I are moving down in August. Someone save me an apartment and a spot on the beach!! (Yes, I work and do so from home so not the welfare recipient). While I was not born there, I was raised in Orlando so I feel like a Floridian. Cannot wait to get back to live out the rest of my life!!

Old 01-05-2013, 01:44 PM

16 posts, read 29,459 times
I have lived in the west coast of FL on and off for about 16 years. I have lived in Long Island, NY and Kansas City, MO as well, and frankly; FL ain't all it's cracked up to be. Joblessness, high traffic, low paying jobs (if you can find one) and over-crowding is not my idea of good living. You want good living; move someplace where you can actually live. You know a place with jobs, stuff to do and has a low cost of living. FL isn't cheap but it is cheaper than the the east coast. IMHO

Old 01-05-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradysmommy12 View Post
I have lived in the west coast of FL on and off for about 16 years. I have lived in Long Island, NY and Kansas City, MO as well, and frankly; FL ain't all it's cracked up to be. Joblessness, high traffic, low paying jobs (if you can find one) and over-crowding is not my idea of good living. You want good living; move someplace where you can actually live. You know a place with jobs, stuff to do and has a low cost of living. FL isn't cheap but it is cheaper than the the east coast. IMHO
You don't think there is anything to do in the Tampa Bay area?

Seriously?

WOW!

Try getting out once in a while. We find TONS of fun and interesting things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay