Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:16 AM

892 posts, read 1,576,725 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to "convince" anyone to change their minds......I'm just doing the same thing that everyone else is doing here- presenting 1 side of a debate.

I didn't start this thread.....and I tried to stay away- but if you read the whole thing from the beginning......you will see that the "tone" basically becomes: "no wonder everybody is moving here in droves....the weather sucks up north and is better down here". That's what it's turned into- before I got involved.

By the way, like I've mentioned in previous threads....I am very familiar with the weather patterns in the mid-atlantic and northeast- as my family is scattered between New Jersey (south and north) all the way to Massachusetts (south and north of Boston) and I lived in Southern New Jersey myself for 4 years when I was in the Air Force.....working OUTSIDE (as I do now in Florida) in all types of weather. I never experienced (other than brief heat waves) anything that compares to the length and duration of a west central Florida extended summer.....even during those "heat waves"....you could still wear jeans in the evening to go out to dinner and be comfortable.

I am just presenting the other side of the debate that: "you'd have to be crazy to live anywhere else because of Florida's outstanding weather"........

I am not saying that you (Prius) are saying that.......but that exact "tone" is what made me finally have to comment on this thread.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 AM

892 posts, read 1,576,725 times
I also understand that those "heat waves" are becoming more common "up north". I don't consider North Carolina to be "up north"......i understand that it is further north than Florida..obviously. Virginia starts the "mid-atlantic region" and New York starts the "north east" region. That is "north" to me. Southern states are not "north".

If climate change is causing more frequent "heat waves" up north...than what do you think is happening down here?

The Tampa Bay area forecast for this coming week starting on tuesday and ending on Saturday is 76, 79, 79, 79, 79 degrees.....that hardly ever used to happen in January.

I'm not expecting it to snow.....that would be rediculous. However, 65 degrees instead of 80 would still be extremely pleasant weather compared to most of the country right now.

And I think most everyone would still be happy about 65 and sunny in January. I would.

I just think that 80 degrees in January sucks. I understand if other people don't agree.

I am just presenting my side of the debate.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
....I'm just doing the same thing that everyone else is doing here- presenting 1 side of a debate.
Is there another side to the debate?is it even a debate as with the exception of forum member Awesome presenting a few minor negatives all posts seem positive,i'd say you are definitely on the Florida is warm and wonderful side of the debate.
In fact you'd have to look really hard to find any one expressing any negatives at all concerning Florida..

Old 01-06-2013, 07:43 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,896,649 times
Quote:
I also understand that those "heat waves" are becoming more common "up north". I don't consider North Carolina to be "up north"......i understand that it is further north than Florida..obviously. Virginia starts the "mid-atlantic region" and New York starts the "north east" region. That is "north" to me. Southern states are not "north".

If climate change is causing more frequent "heat waves" up north...than what do you think is happening down here?

The Tampa Bay area forecast for this coming week starting on tuesday and ending on Saturday is 76, 79, 79, 79, 79 degrees.....that hardly ever used to happen in January.

I'm not expecting it to snow.....that would be rediculous. However, 65 degrees in stead of 80 would still be extremely pleasant weather compared to most of the country right now.

And I think most everyone would still be happy about 65 and sunny in January. I would.

I just think that 80 degrees in January sucks. I understand if other people don't agree.

I am just presenting my side of the debate.
D-R-B, I do like how you take the time to explain your thinking. It is very much appreciated.

Here is how I look at it and where I think some people are missing the point. The thread is about lots of people moving to Florida. Why do many, I dare say most, of these people move to Florida and why do so many others want to? The weather, particularly here in Tampa Bay. Many people prefer a climate that allows them to be outside the majority of the year. Are there times when some people may choose to stay inside? Sure. But that probably is even worse way up north when people are trapped inside for months on end. Trust me, you cannot layer up enough in order to make 5 degrees feel good. Lord knows I tried. The grey, cold and wet weather of Massachusetts made me feel awful. I was so slow, tired and down from November until June. Really! It was simply awful.

Now, will some people move down for the weather and decide it is too hot or humid for too long? Sure. They may become half backers. However, they should realize that east of the Appalachians will definitely provide temperatures much hotter than this part of Florida, although for shorter durations.

The fact is people are flocking to Florida. The fact is weather is one of the primary reasons why. I have been here many many times before moving. I knew how warm and humid it can get during the summer, yet I am here. I look forward to it.

I just take issue when anyone tells someone else there is no way they will or can like it here, just because they don't. If someone doesn't like it, by all means say so and say why. But people shouldn't tell other people they are wrong for liking it.

Trust me on this. Go to ANY forum here on City Data and you will find posters saying don't move to <insert city>, because the weather is awful, the economy stinks, there are no jobs....etc. It's human nature for people to complain. No place is perfect. However, Tampa Bay can be a bit of paradise for people who enjoy the things it has to offer. Like me. I love it here.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to "convince" anyone to change their minds......I'm just doing the same thing that everyone else is doing here- presenting 1 side of a debate.

I didn't start this thread.....and I tried to stay away- but if you read the whole thing from the beginning......you will see that the "tone" basically becomes: "no wonder everybody is moving here in droves....the weather sucks up north and is better down here". That's what it's turned into- before I got involved.
The first posts about weather were,
Quote:
"This is my climatic paradise. I love Florida and understand why others do as well. It's hard to beat the weather, sunshine, natural beauty, friendly people, and way of life."
Quote:
Beaches and warm weather..
Quote:
Yep. There are hurricanes now and then. Summers are hot and wet. The rest of the year is pretty nice weather wise.
That was in the first 44 posts

Then you got this in post 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
dont listen to them, they sit on the internet all day bragging about a place that between April and October never even go outside, do you think they are actually spending any money to go do fun stuff???
And this in post 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Nine months out of the year you're stuck in the house with the windows and doors slammed shut, curtains closed, A/C roaring, & running around killing all kinds of insects/bugs.

Yep, that's paradise.
The tone was small snippets about the weather in the first few, one clearly opinion, one just said beaches and warm weather and one a decent sum up of Florida weather in as few words as possible and then you got ridiculous posts #45 and #46.
From there others called out posts 45 and 46.

If it was not for those posts it would have probably not strayed as it did.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
lol the realtors are working hard today, nice propaganda
Motivated realtors have been busy through out the years...the realtors who conducted business in 2005 by sitting and waiting for the phone to ring at a time that anybody could sell a home, are over and now the motivate, hard working realtors who have returning customers or newbees who are creative and active are still making a decent amount of money.

Out office increased sales over last year with more homes sold even though the home prices were still lower on an average we increased our numbers. That are facts!

There are many licensed realtors with no sales at all and just have their license for personal reasons and often to have it in case they have a family member who wants to sell or when they want to sell their own home.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:49 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,637 times
Quote:

By the way, like I've mentioned in previous threads....I am very familiar with the weather patterns in the mid-atlantic and northeast- as my family is scattered between New Jersey (south and north) all the way to Massachusetts (south and north of Boston) and I lived in Southern New Jersey myself for 4 years when I was in the Air Force.....working OUTSIDE (as I do now in Florida) in all types of weather. I never experienced (other than brief heat waves) anything that compares to the length and duration of a west central Florida extended summer.....even during those "heat waves"....you could still wear jeans in the evening to go out to dinner and be comfortable.

I am just presenting the other side of the debate that: "you'd have to be crazy to live anywhere else because of Florida's outstanding weather"........

I am not saying that you (Prius) are saying that.......but that exact "tone" is what made me finally have to comment on this thread.
There is so much more to Florida than the weather, though. I grew up in Florida, then moved to Memphis for 4 years so my husband could attend grad school, and then we lived for nearly 2 years in northern Indiana where my husband landed a job. We moved back to Florida after that and have been here for well over 10 years. What brought us back besides the amazing weather? Lots of things …

The CULTURE. Believe it or not, there is a culture here. It is very laid back and casual, which is how I like it. In Indiana and Memphis, we got stared and at even lectured once for wearing shorts to church. (And these were not short shorts either - THAT I could understand!) I also like the Hispanic flavor of Florida, and particularly the Tampa Bay area. Oh my … when we were in Memphis we had great BBQ, but we couldn't find a good Cuban restaurant anywhere! For someone who grew up on deviled crab and Cuban sandwiches, this was a big deal. And don't get me started on iced tea in Indiana … I can't tell you how many times servers looked at me like I was nuts when I asked for sweet tea! The people here in Florida are very friendly. It's a transient state, so many people have been newbies here and know how scary it is to be a newcomer … so they are very welcoming of new folks. Though I'm a native and not a newbie, even I love newcomers … unless they come here and gripe and complain about everything. Anyway, I LOVE the culture of Florida.

RECREATION is another biggie. I love to swim, fish, kayak, hang out on the beach, waterski, dive and snorkel, etc. and Florida is the perfect state for that! In Florida, I can do all kinds of recreational activities pretty much year-round. The only thing I can't do here is snow ski, and that is easily remedied with a ski trip during the winter.

HOUSING. I watch HGTV and am continually amazed at the ridiculous prices people pay for their homes outside of Florida. People will pay 400K for a DUMP in California. Come here and 400K will get you an amazing home with a pool and all the bells and whistles!

COST OF LIVING. It was more expensive to live in Indiana and in Memphis. I realize that the pay here balances this out, but for my husband's field (health care), it actually works quite nicely for us. For mine (education) it doesn't, but fortunately I am not the big breadwinner in the family.

Someone on here mentioned different strokes for different folks, and that is completely true. It all depends on what is important to you. Florida isn't perfect, but it is perfect for me.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:24 AM

315 posts, read 652,050 times
Its funny that you people say "different strokes for different folks" yet claim your stroke is "paradise" while noone else is. What you do is give people a false sense of how it really is down here, thats my beef with these forums. Originally, I came here thinking it was a cool forum and I could actually talk about my community with others, but thats not the case, its a bunch of cheerleaders and realtors begging more welfare northerners to move down here based on nothing more than fairy tales.

Last summer I was in Vegas and it was 112, yea 112... it was damn hot not denying that, but when I came back here it FELT HOTTER and WETTER and STICKIER....I don't care if on a couple dozen days a year the temps are higher in "Northern" states you cant tell me you are out cutting your lawn in August at 2pm down here, not happening, but in NY you totally can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
There is so much more to Florida than the weather, though. Lots of things …

The CULTURE.
I stopped reading at "CULTURE", LMFAOOOO

Old 01-06-2013, 08:29 AM

4,476 posts, read 3,844,735 times
I don't remember now who it was, but as a Tampa lover I do have to take exception to the person who said coastal california is not a climatic paradise. Have you ever actually lived there? Or spent any time there? The weather is perfection. Warm days, cool nights, dry. There is a reason why it's so overpopulated, and perfect weather is it.

Average Los Angeles high temp in January: 68, average low, 46
Average Los Angeles high temp in August: 76, average low, 65

Sounds pretty perfect to me.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,889 times
Can I throw this out there. If Florida weather is considered so perfect, then why isn't the filming industry based here like it is in Southern California? The early pioneers of motion picture were Jews from New York. The could have come down here to set up their studios. It would have been a closer drive, and I'm sure land was cheap here in the 1920's.

Edit: I answered my own question. Read the last sentense of the first paragraph:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywo...cture_industry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay