Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 02:09 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
It is really pathetic that we allow our citizens to get this low.
In this country, you reap what you sow. What happens to you is a result of your own actions or non-action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 03:06 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
In this country, you reap what you sow. What happens to you is a result of your own actions or non-action.
Simply not true. When a company folds, it is not the employee's fault, its the upper management's fault, or CEO. How many CEO's that have folded their businesses do you see being homeless in South Tampa?

Someone who's always going to be an employee, (because not all people come from trust funds to have capital readily available to them to start their own businesses) is always going to have to depend on someone else for employment, hence money to eat, and have a roof over their heads. If the company folds, and they haven't made enough money to have solid savings, then they will become homeless.

I this country homelessness is actually encouraged. Less people on welfare, less for CEO's to have to pay to do a job. 1% versus 99%.

More here:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclus...175906005.html

and a great one here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/econo...e-poverty.html

Last edited by PhotoProIP; 07-28-2013 at 03:19 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
We aren't talking about individuals. We're talking about a group. To discuss a group's behavior, you have to make assumptions and generalizations.

Put another way: Should we start a separate City Data thread for each individual homeless person in the Tampa Bay area? That seems like it would be a waste of resources.
I didn't say that. I didn't a "group" in ST doing drugs together...I saw "individuals", even in Carrollwood with signs that read "Iraq vet"...I don't see them begging in groups. And no, we don't need a thread to discuss them individually, my point was that you don't know where each one of them is coming from, and what was in their past. Making judgements on people you don't know is rude. I don't judge them; but I would like to see someone rehab them.

There are a lot of money in South Tampa alone; the problem is that most of it is spent on fake boobs!

Old 07-28-2013, 03:22 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
How many here have been homeless so they can talk about this from that point of view?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Simply not true. When a company folds, it is not the employee's fault, its the upper management's fault, or CEO. How many CEO's that have folded their businesses do you see being homeless in South Tampa?

Which company do you suppose laid off these gentlemen?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:40 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
At anytime there about 16k homeless people in the tampa area. Do you think they all look like that, fit that profile, no they are families, veterans, people with substance abuse problems, mental illnesses, lbgt teenagers who were kicked out of their homes or ran away. For every 25 yo with tatoos there are 5 families sleeping in cars, trying to scrape enough money for a week to week hotel room. That picture is might be face of homelessness to you but is no way representative of their true population.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:

I don't know; but next time I or anyone else sees them why don't we ask them that?

I highly doubt they've been living in the streets since birth.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:

BTW...There are plenty to heavily tattooed CEOs out there too.
Here's one:
Jesse James (customizer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Or any other running a Tattoo shop! FYI)

Last I knew, the homeless don't make a lot of money...or have credentials to rent decent apartments.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
At anytime there about 16k homeless people in the tampa area. Do you think they all look like that, fit that profile, no they are families, veterans, people with substance abuse problems, mental illnesses, lbgt teenagers who were kicked out of their homes or ran away. For every 25 yo with tatoos there are 5 families sleeping in cars, trying to scrape enough money for a week to week hotel room. That picture is might be face of homelessness to you but is no way representative of their true population.
These people are representative of most of the transient people I see in STP and Tampa parks and who the new ordinances are geared toward. Public urination, defecation.....700 of them that the Tampa police has had to chronically deal with.

http://tbo.com/news/politics/tampa-a...less-20130627/

But according to some in this thread, we as a country have failed them. We don't offer enough amenities and handouts for them. I disagree.

Last edited by BucFan; 07-28-2013 at 06:40 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 06:23 PM

663 posts, read 1,144,695 times
Anyone that thinks these people are just down on their luck, should try offering one $10 to come to your house and mow your lawn.
Let me know how many you ask before you find one to say yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay