Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 01:19 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I tend to avoid areas where transients/homeless congregate - like parks in ST Pete and Tampa. No one wants to be always looking over their shoulder wondering if they're going to be robbed, attacked, murdered. Guess the city is figuring out that there are other citizens who are also staying away from those areas as well. Downtown is a ghosttown during weekends and evenings except for the transients with shopping carts.
Exactly.

You know what else struck me about the photo you posted? The young man in it had plenty of money for all those body tattoos, but not enough for rent. I think his priorities are a little messed up. JMO of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 03:14 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times
I'm sure there are some homeless people who are homeless because they are basically lazy bums, but I think the majority are homeless for two reasons:

1.) They can't find a job.
2.) They can't hold down a job because they are mentally unable to do so.

When we were living in Spring Hill, a friend of ours alerted us to two homeless guys living in the woods. We went to meet them and see what their story was. My heart immediately broke for them - they were so thin and frail! In a nutshell, they had both been involved in the construction industry and had no education beyond that, so when the construction jobs dried up, so did their money. They both lost their homes and vehicles, found each other, and ended up in the woods living in a tent with just the bare essentials. One of them was well enough to work, so he would go out each day and look for day jobs … anything, really … mowing lawns, odd construction jobs, etc. He had COPD, so he was somehwhat limited on what he could do physically. The other one was more sickly, so he stayed behind to watch their stuff so no one would steal it.

We asked what we could do to help, and the one who was healthy enough to work showed us his shoes. They construction boots and they were a size too small and had holes in them. He asked if we knew of anyone who had newer construction shoes he could have. Anyway, we went to Target that day and not only bought him a pair of new construction boots, but also a bunch of new clothes. I made them a huge breakfast casserole and brought it to them the next day. Along with several of our friends, we continued to feed and care for them until we ended up moving.

The last time I checked, they had saved enough money and received enough help to purchase a small used camper. They are now able to drive to various job sites and keep their things safe so they can both work. The sickly one was able to work again once he'd gained weight and gotten proper health care. From what I've heard from my friends, the one who was in better shape is now in driving school to get his CDL to drive trucks.

If my friends and I hadn't stepped up to learn their story and help them, who knows what would have happened to them? Instead, we decided to look into their story and help out. I simply cannot stand the thought of another human being starving to death.

There's another man we've been helping out in Clearwater. He stands on the corner each Sunday when we get out of church. He has no teeth, and there is obviously something mentally off with him. He's very sweet, but you can just tell he isn't right in the head. People like that simply aren't able to work because they aren't "right" and the state no longer has mental hospitals to house them. Few people CHOOSE to be homeless and beg for money. What normal person would want to do that?

I don't know … I'm sure I'm a sucker sometimes. But I believe very strongly that we reap what we sow. I feel like my family and I have been very blessed, so the least we can do is give back a portion of what we've been given to make sure someone doesn't go hungry.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:35 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times
We can all have pre-conceived notions about something we don't completely understand. I admit I have with regard to the homeless. But I became really good friends with my ex-bf's cousin who works in the social services field assisting veterans. The heart wrenching stories she tells me of some of the men who come in to see her. They have served their country and then return home unable to readjust to life here due to trauma, disability, or both. Those who didn't have family when they left returned to the same. It takes a lot just to make it as far as to my friend. And there's so many steps and turns to get back on their feet I can only imagine how daunting it must seem but they are so greatful when they're able to take that first step.

There's of course many exceptions but I thought it was interesting to gain this insight that I didn't take the time to think about before.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:45 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
Homeless are homeless for a variety of reasons. Even if its because of bad choices, I have compassion for them. However, a city can't have people sleeping all over the place. It's a very difficult situation to have compassion, but still strive for a clean, safe, and orderly city. Laws like this should be carefully considered, and I feel in this case it will result in more homeless moving to shelters at night, or less populated areas of town.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:04 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Homeless are homeless for a variety of reasons. Even if its because of bad choices, I have compassion for them. However, a city can't have people sleeping all over the place. It's a very difficult situation to have compassion, but still strive for a clean, safe, and orderly city. Laws like this should be carefully considered, and I feel in this case it will result in more homeless moving to shelters at night, or less populated areas of town.
Right but shelters are not free, overcrowded and non existent, not that having them sleeping on the streets it's the solution, typically I would be more indignant at this, but I do feel due to our climate we get a disproportionate amount of homeless people so taking care of our indigent population is a really complex impossible problem.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:08 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Right but shelters are not free, overcrowded and non existent, not that having them sleeping on the streets it's the solution, typically I would be more indignant at this, but I do feel due to our climate we get a disproportionate amount of homeless people so taking care of our indigent population is a really complex impossible problem.
Yes. It's such a tough situation. I am unqualified to find a solution, but I support those who are

Old 07-26-2013, 05:35 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Very true.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:53 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Anyone care to google up some recent research looking into reasons why these transients are living the life they are? Did they fail to get educated. Do they have a history of drug or criminal behavior. Do they have mental disorders? Would be interesting to know the underlying reasons.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:59 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Hey guess what! Instead of throwing them in jail, how about some rehab? this would be booming business here considering how many move here without a job, or become so underpaid they become homeless. REHAB them! They can pay back once they're functional again. They can spend that 6mil on a facility, hire some behavior people, nurses etc and rehab them rather than waste money throwing them in jail, only to throw them out again later...break this vicious cycle.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:06 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times
This report talks about numbers

National Alliance to End Homelessness: Snapshot of Homelessness

And this further explains chronic homelessness

National Alliance to End Homelessness: Snapshot of Homelessness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay