Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 03:26 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Neither one of these are "french" as in the primary focus of style of the bakery.

I worked in France, both in Paris and Normandy (Fecamp to be specific) and there is nothing close to what I would consider a traditional French bakery anywhere around here.

RM
Ah... Ok. Basically "well, we almost try to be" but they are not. I guess its like a Vietnamese opening a Chinese restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 05:49 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Ah... Ok. Basically "well, we almost try to be" but they are not. I guess its like a Vietnamese opening a Chinese restaurant.
As a previous poster stated, Alessi is Italian and Moreno's is Latin or Hispanic. They both are bakeries in the sense, but have some cultural specialties, neither of which is French.

In other words, you might be able to buy a baguette at one, but it won't be a traditional baguette.

That's one thing I really liked about France, especially Paris. I used to stay on the north end of the city near the opera house. There must have been a bakery or patisserie on nearly every corner, or so it seemed.

Yum.

RM

Old 07-16-2016, 08:53 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Since we traveled a lot around the world and I know that Chinese food/restaurants sells different type of foods in every country and often it doesn't taste similar at all.

I haven't been in China but have heard that we over here and in many Countries in Europe eat as Chinese food is not what the Chinese eat.

I wish we could buy a real French baguette over here like in France but that will probably not happen any time soon.

Btw MortonR we loved Normandy and it seems the French over there are the most friendliest France people.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:12 PM

131 posts, read 139,676 times
Flour varies from place to place, different grains, weight, moisture content, and seasons, (winter wheat-summer wheat)
French bread, as I remember it in Quebec was slightly beige rather than white which would indicate certain type of flour, less processed, higher protein content. Flour, water, yeast, salt, and olive oil ...mix, rest, bake in a low oven for 30min, or until crusted. If a bakery is using a t45-t55 flour the bread should duplicate a loaf from france.
Call ahead... Hello Mr Bakery guy, what type of flour do you use? King Arthur? Never mind....

Old 07-16-2016, 11:23 PM

FYI This reveals that there are 2 types of baguette.
http://www.wessexmill.co.uk/acatalog...ean-Flours.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Since we traveled a lot around the world and I know that Chinese food/restaurants sells different type of foods in every country and often it doesn't taste similar at all.

I haven't been in China but have heard that we over here and in many Countries in Europe eat as Chinese food is not what the Chinese eat.

I wish we could buy a real French baguette over here like in France but that will probably not happen any time soon.

Btw MortonR we loved Normandy and it seems the French over there are the most friendliest France people.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:27 AM

29 posts, read 31,453 times
Quote:
Actually, Vietnam being a former French colony, the Vietnamese do have many dishes of French origin. For example, their famous Banh Mi sandwich that you can find in any big city in the US is simply their version of sandwich made from French baguette and ham, pâté, etc. Some French chefs went as far as claiming that one of the Vietnamese national dishes, the famous Pho (pronounced faah or like feu in French) is actually derived from the pot-au-feu, therefore the name Pho. I think that's rubbish, another instance of anything that tastes good must be French in origin. However, the Vietnamese do make pretty good baguette and pretty good French pastries, very close to the real things. You'd have to go to areas with large Vietnamese communities to find them (baguette and pastries) though, like Orange County and the Silicon Valley in CA or Houston.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:43 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
We have a Trader Joes here in St Pete. Much cheaper than Publix. Great place. Between it, Publix, Walmart, and the Rollin Oats, we have the food thing covered nicely.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:09 PM

Haven't visited the Trader Joe's in Pinellas yet, but have made a few trips to Sarasota in years gone by.
We hoped for a Trader Joe's for years, having them close by in Cally, after one was finally opened in Sarasota, the dazzle seemed to be gone. By then 15 years later, new stores like Wholes Foods and Mazzaros had satisfied the itch.

I think online shopping is gaining steam. Fresh Blueberries from a Maine farm, real Maple syrup from Vermont, farm to table stuff. Opening a package is like Christmas in July!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
We have a Trader Joes here in St Pete. Much cheaper than Publix. Great place. Between it, Publix, Walmart, and the Rollin Oats, we have the food thing covered nicely.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:36 PM

472 posts, read 547,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logane View Post
Actually, Vietnam being a former French colony, the Vietnamese do have many dishes of French origin. For example, their famous Banh Mi sandwich that you can find in any big city in the US is simply their version of sandwich made from French baguette and ham, pâté, etc. Some French chefs went as far as claiming that one of the Vietnamese national dishes, the famous Pho (pronounced faah or like feu in French) is actually derived from the pot-au-feu, therefore the name Pho. I think that's rubbish, another instance of anything that tastes good must be French in origin. However, the Vietnamese do make pretty good baguette and pretty good French pastries, very close to the real things. You'd have to go to areas with large Vietnamese communities to find them (baguette and pastries) though, like Orange County and the Silicon Valley in CA or Houston.
Don't mean to derail the thread but since we're talking about Vietnamese banh mi and pate and beurre, just thought I'd mention a new awesome Vietnamese place that opened in Tampa that sells really good banh mi. From talking with one of the head worker there, they bake their own baguette onsite and make the pate and butter (Viet style mayo) there as well for really authentic banh mi/baguette that is airy inside and crusty outside. There are also excellent butter and almond croissants as are the pate chaud. Their main thing is the fresh tofu as indicated in the Tampa Bay paper:

New Thinh An Kitchen & Tofu is the first restaurant in Tampa Bay to make its own tofu | Things to do in Tampa Bay | Tampa Bay Times

Old 07-23-2016, 08:37 PM

73 posts, read 93,082 times
Spring Hilian, you really caught my attention with this question, so I decided to parse it:
Quote:
I always wonder why people left their personal paradises where everything is just about perfect, good paying and plentiful jobs Nope, all the big industries moved to S. Carolina or China , excellent drivers Hmmm, at least somewhat better and a higher percentage DO use their blinkers , no crime, everything less expensive for the most part, yes, except taxes, better quality of people well, only the ones we knew all our lives, right? , better weatherNO WAY! , better scenery only in the brief summer months and leaf peeping season, cheaper insurance,actually our car insurance was not much more here excellent restaurants,for our tastes, they are way better and more plentiful here excellent stores okay ,we do have to say it, Wegmans is truly world class, no traffic,definitely true, more cows too! no crime,back to last item, cows are very law-abiding friendlier peopleI LOVE how friendly people are here! I remark on it daily! , better drinking water,Oh, so true. I would not touch tap water to my lips here cheaper electricity,Not much cheaper, better supermarkets Oh, well, are there stores other than grocery stores?, lower rent,No, comparable lower
home insurance -yes, but we don't have hurricanes, or other such disasters to cover et al - to mmove to a place that is nowhere close to what they had were they were.No, I think we made the right choice because 1) more family is here 2) it is a much easier climate on old bone 3) it is sooo beautiful here, there is so much to do and enjoy. AND...lots to discover to say all of the above is better here, someday!!

Any ideas on that gypsypsychic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay