Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 07:51 PM

491 posts, read 473,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Seems grocery wars are happening all over the country. People used to be very loyal to their grocery store and there were only a few to choose from but now people are willing to go to 3 or 4 stores to get exactly what they are looking for. In SoCal I go to Stater Brothers, Ralph's, Trader Joe's, Walmart and Target. But we also have Dollar Stores, 99 Cents Stores, Lazy Acres, Sprouts, Whole Foods,
and several other high end specialty stores all within a ten mile radius...it's crazy and the competition is fierce.
That's basically how I am. I go to Walmart, Target, Publix, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and the gas station sometimes. They've got some exclusive Hostess pastries I've never seen anywhere else... at the gas station.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:06 AM

569 posts, read 1,059,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
The young folks who run our new Aldi store are very attentive to their customers. It's a new store so who knows how long it'll be nicely run and kept in good shape. I think the credit card issue was a way to keep prices down but it's been more than a year since they've started accepting credit cards.

I've become accustomed to their off brand items. Rarely use the carts (used recycled boxes), but the 25 cent deposit is a good way to keep cars from being hit by wayward carts. Not a lot to ask of the customer to return carts to where they found them. European stores have used this method for ages.
Well that explains it with the credit. I only went about 2 times, and that was 2-3 years ago. I'll have to give it another shot, maybe at a different one that is bigger, newer looking, and near my gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
I use my debit their all the time. They don't carry every item you would expect in a large grocery store but cover most of the staples you would need ... Options are what its all about when shopping. Blanket statements on who is the best is ridiculous. Pro's and Con's for each if you ask me.
I was talking about credit, not debit. I almost never use debit cards, and even less frequently checks and cash these days (except for contractors). Everything goes on credit first, where I get cash back and purchase protection, and is then paid off at the end of the month.

Whether or not they cover the staples depends on what your staples are. My wife is latin, and doesn't trust brands she doesn't know, so our staples contain a lot of Goya, Carnation, etc. products. She also only eats bread from the bakery department - and she's picky about which store it comes from. So far, Publix is her favorite by far. She doesn't like Winn Dixie's or Safeway's for example.

I totally agree with comment about the options and no "the best". Though, when I single and lived in the DC area I did love Whole Foods and a smaller niche place called Balducci's. The quality was so much better than any normal grocery store, even then though I had difficulty justifying the price despite being able to afford it lol.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:25 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
I like going to Trader Joe's because I enjoy trying out their new stuff. However, I think your reaction to Trader Joe's is typical for a lot of people. You see Trader Joe's often switches out their food items. So, every 2 or 3 weeks, they've got new stuff. The thing that you saw last, week, won't be there this week. Some things they keep year round, but a lot of food items are held in rotation. Not sure why, but I guess they do it so that people keep coming back. I guess it didn't work in your case. You can check online to see the new stuff they add.

Also, I went to Lucky's, and thought it was like Whole Foods, but with not as big of a selection (the Whole Foods in Orlando is huge and dense). Lucky's did have a good candy section.

In a weird way, I still prefer, for example the ice cream from Publix (which has a wide assortment of ice creams of all kinds, and also their generic version of stuff is pretty good, as well as their household item. I also enjoy shopping the household items at Target.
"Trader Joe's switches out their foods every 2 or 3 weeks?" What in the heck are you talking about? I have been buying Trader Joe's chicken tikka masala for AT LEAST 20 years. Same goes for their red pepper hummus, their vodka sauce, tempura shrimp, veggie birds nests, chicken fried rice, etc. The majority of Trader Joe's products have been around FOR DECADES.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Seems grocery wars are happening all over the country. People used to be very loyal to their grocery store and there were only a few to choose from but now people are willing to go to 3 or 4 stores to get exactly what they are looking for. In SoCal I go to Stater Brothers, Ralph's, Trader Joe's, Walmart and Target. But we also have Dollar Stores, 99 Cents Stores, Lazy Acres, Sprouts, Whole Foods,
and several other high end specialty stores all within a ten mile radius...it's crazy and the competition is fierce.
Wow some of these retailers I've never heard of. Thanks for this!

Old 05-04-2017, 08:28 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,090,194 times
What is Winn-Dixie doing differently? I have noticed that one off Waters and N Armenia has gotten so packed lately. I guess they are in a location that does not have really close competitors. The nearest Publix in Carrolwood near Bush and Dale is just too small (worst one in options I have seen). Can they not remodel and expand with a two story Publix placing parking below it? They appear to have the density for it.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:45 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
I guess they are in a location that does not have really close competitors.
This is true of almost every store in city limits. Seminole Heights has that one Publix and one Winn Dixie and they're both kind of far from each other. West Tampa has that one Winn Dixie. South Tampa has at least three Publixs (one being a Greenwise) and a Whole Foods and I think that's it in the way of dedicated grocery stores, Downtown has nothing (currently), Ybor has nothing...

Old 05-04-2017, 10:29 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
What is Winn-Dixie doing differently? I have noticed that one off Waters and N Armenia has gotten so packed lately. I guess they are in a location that does not have really close competitors. The nearest Publix in Carrolwood near Bush and Dale is just too small (worst one in options I have seen). Can they not remodel and expand with a two story Publix placing parking below it? They appear to have the density for it.

The closest competitor is Quadro supermarket on the corner of Waters and Armenia right up from the W-D. That's where we shop.
Fruits, meats and vegetables are lower priced at Quadro.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
The closest competitor is Quadro supermarket on the corner of Waters and Armenia right up from the W-D. That's where we shop.
Fruits, meats and vegetables are lower priced at Quadro.
Wow I will have to check this place out!

Old 05-04-2017, 12:52 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Wow I will have to check this place out!

It wouldn't hurt if you spoke Spanish when shopping there but not necessary.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:07 AM

12 posts, read 6,887 times
I don't think Publix has anything much to be concerned about. Competition is GOOD for everyone. The store with a big longevity problem right now is WHOLE FOODS which on the brink of being sold. They are not competitive at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay