Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 12:27 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
That's all that needs to be said.

As someone who worked at Wal-Mart for about a year, I feel bad for anyone who thinks their food is quality.

I buy things like ketchup and frozen meals and canned goods and bbq sauce and tea at Walmart. Plus things like aspirin or tooth paste. It's the same stuff you can buy at most grocery stores.

Walmart's produce has gotten so high priced that I don't even walk down that isle these days.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:29 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I buy brand names foods at Walmart like ketchup and frozen meals
As long as you don't mind them being thawed out before being refrozen.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:36 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
People absolutely love Wegmans b/c of the restaurants, the music, the events, etc. (hence the square footage needed). The meat and seafood departments are three or four times the size of the ones at Publix.

Publix will have a hard time competing with that b/c the people who shop at Wegmans will think Publix is substandard and won't go to Publix.

The people who shop smaller stores like Aldi or TJ's won't care about either one.
I guess I fall into that category. Especially since I have fantastic specialty butcher shops and real-deal fish markets nearby. For me, Publix and ALDI are just for essentials. Plus there is a new Latino food market that just opened near me, haven't been yet, but they have a large selection of unusual cuts of meat and other items that you won't find in mainstream grocery stores.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:43 PM

686 posts, read 622,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Walmart's produce has gotten so high priced that I don't even walk down that isle these days.
That's a shame, because most of the time they sell produce with a shorter shelf life (if it isn't already rotting in the store) than any reputable produce outlet.

If you must support the Waltons, don't buy their produce.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:53 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
I think anyone reading this thread will come to one conclusion: forget bigger fancier stores. Publix must lower prices to compete. When people think Walmart and Trader Joe's are too expensive, that tells you everything about the retail climate we are in.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:08 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
I think anyone reading this thread will come to one conclusion: forget bigger fancier stores. Publix must lower prices to compete. When people think Walmart and Trader Joe's are too expensive, that tells you everything about the retail climate we are in.
That is exactly what they should do. If they did, I would probably rarely go anywhere else. I say, forget the BOGO, and gimmicky sales, just do like ALDI and have everyday lower prices. They already have a good selection of organic and gluten free.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:12 PM

686 posts, read 622,284 times
Quote:
At the minimum in certain areas, yes. It would be nice for them to lower prices everywhere but I don't see that happening in more affluent areas.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:16 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,242,488 times
Quote:
I have lost track of the number of times I have gotten a refund from Publix after being sold old meat. Same goes for rotten produce.

But still I go there because it's nearby. When Sprouts opens in a couple weeks that's over.
You get rotten meat and produce so many times and yet still shop there? Now that just sounds silly.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:29 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
People absolutely love Wegmans b/c of the restaurants, the music, the events, etc. (hence the square footage needed). The meat and seafood departments are three or four times the size of the ones at Publix.

Publix will have a hard time competing with that b/c the people who shop at Wegmans will think Publix is substandard and won't go to Publix.

The people who shop smaller stores like Aldi or TJ's won't care about either one.
I agree that if Wegmans comes to FL, it would be a game-changer. I truly miss shopping there.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:35 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
You get rotten meat and produce so many times and yet still shop there? Now that just sounds silly.
Yes b/c it's the closest grocer to me. But Sprouts is opening in 3 weeks so that's about to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay