Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 06:35 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

Cyberbaiting- a new trend with some teens. try to goad a teacher into losing it and then they post the breakdown on the internet.

Cyberbaiting: a New Teen Trend That Humiliates Teachers | TakePart - News, Culture, Videos and Photos That Make the World Better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 07:08 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,691,736 times
That's just - sickening.

I've had some really good teachers, and some really bad ones. The good ones were ones who had set rules, made no exceptions, and held everyone to the same standard - you knew what to expect. The bad ones were disorganized, pandered to this or that student, and changed their requirements almost daily. Yet I would never even have thought of humiliating them in such a manner - one merely took their classes and survived. When students did things to teachers, they were instantly expelled - like the one who soaked an art teacher's brand new fake-fur coat in india ink and left it on her chair, dripping. Of course now the kids are praised for their innovation, counseled for the abuse that they incite, and the teachers are fired. This makes sense how?

Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Wow. This is not one I was prepared for. Unfortunately, we all have bad days and situations we don't handle well. I've yelled at classes before, I've had the principal come in and yell at them. I hope I was never filmed. Such footage would not show what happened to cause the situation. Unfortunately, some kids like to see how far they can push things. I've come to the conclusion that teachers need cameras in their rooms for their own protection. Maybe these kids need to be filmed and have it sent to their parents.

One more reason to get out of teaching. The power kids have today to ruin carreers and lives is scary. It's not worth the risk. The best of us have bad days.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:12 PM

17,401 posts, read 16,547,378 times
This teacher may have been prone to blowing his top and screaming at his class every now and then. After a while, the trouble makers learned how to push his buttons on purpose...Nice.

Just another reason to have a no cellphone rule in the classroom. I'm sure that students wouldn't want to have their awkward oral presentations broadcast over Youtube, either.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:16 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm sure that students wouldn't want to have their awkward oral presentations broadcast over Youtube, either.

Good idea but then some parents would sue for invasion of privacy---probably the very parents of students who would post a breakdown. I admire teachers so much today. They have so much more to deal with than we ever had back in the day.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:27 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
I have another perspective on this. Teachers have always lost their tempers. That's nothing new. I'm sure if I had to deal with as many kids as they do, I'd lose my temper as well. The earliest time I can remember a teacher behaving in a way that just seemed out of control was when I was in second grade...the teacher was screaming and chasing a little boy around the classroom, then dragged him out and they disappeared for a while. I remember how scary that was. It happened a lot more in high school...teachers would scream and throw erasers, or cuss at us. And that was at an expensive private school, in the honors classes, where we certainly behaved better than kids do in my children's classes. I don't remember a teacher ever getting in any kind of trouble for it.

I think the only new thing here is that kids have a little bit more protection. They have the option to pull out a cell phone and start recording the incident. They have the ability to share the recording with the world. I don't think the kids are baiting the teachers any more than they ever have--and yes, some kids are irritating and they push people to see what happens. But there have always been kids like that.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:29 PM

17,401 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Good idea but then some parents would sue for invasion of privacy---probably the very parents of students who would post a breakdown. I admire teachers so much today. They have so much more to deal with than we ever had back in the day.
A kid who would stoop to humiliate their teacher like that probably wouldn't think twice about doing the same thing to a peer.

Some kids are just jerks.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:22 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I wonder if the teacher can sue. Legally, I believe, you need someone's permission to post a video of them. Given that parents are responsible for the actions of their children, especially if their name is on that cell phone bill, I'd think that the teacher in question would have legal grounds to sue the parents for defamation of character, posting video of him without permission and invasion of privacy.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:34 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,191,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I have another perspective on this. Teachers have always lost their tempers. That's nothing new. I'm sure if I had to deal with as many kids as they do, I'd lose my temper as well. The earliest time I can remember a teacher behaving in a way that just seemed out of control was when I was in second grade...the teacher was screaming and chasing a little boy around the classroom, then dragged him out and they disappeared for a while. I remember how scary that was. It happened a lot more in high school...teachers would scream and throw erasers, or cuss at us. And that was at an expensive private school, in the honors classes, where we certainly behaved better than kids do in my children's classes. I don't remember a teacher ever getting in any kind of trouble for it.

I think the only new thing here is that kids have a little bit more protection. They have the option to pull out a cell phone and start recording the incident. They have the ability to share the recording with the world. I don't think the kids are baiting the teachers any more than they ever have--and yes, some kids are irritating and they push people to see what happens. But there have always been kids like that.
I agree. A teacher losing it sounds like a teacher who wasn't ready for the kinds of students she was responsible for.

In the article, I read that one teacher was throwing chairs because the students wouldn't stop talking. If the teacher does not have administrative support to enforce a rule for this, the teacher should reach out for help in dealing with chatty students.

It might mean one day lost for teaching a lesson for that particular group of students and then coming in the next day and trying something different. I would rather have that than having my child yelled at or hit by a chair.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:45 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
I'm moving this to Education, because it is not really a Parenting topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching