Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2016, 08:05 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I just counted 39 general education vacancies in grades 1-6 in my district. Our building still needs a fourth grade teacher. The class has had a long term sub, but she can't continue past the middle of December. She's been a trooper having done as much as she has for substitute pay. I'm curious to see what will happen in a little over a month. We qualified for an additional teacher due to enrollment and class size, but they basically gave up trying to hire for that spot.
We hired a new 5th grade teacher but she quit before she started. I've been out almost a month now do I'm not sure where that's at but we needed another 3rd grade teacher and a self contained SPED teacher as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 07:30 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times
We had another lockdown today. A mentally ill man walked in the front door, apparently acting normal until he was asked to sign in. Then he took off running down the hall. We heard loud yelling for a minute before the PA came on telling us to lock our doors and cover our windows. We all remained in our classrooms for an hour, well into the lunch period, before we got the all clear. The man was taken to a hospital for a mental evaluation. The news media was there when school dismissed, so it was a high-profile day.

At least this time I wasn't locked in a room with crazy people for nearly three hours like last time. This time, the kids were genuinely scared because we had all heard the screaming coming from downstairs. The fear wore off with time and several students watched movies or basketball games on their laptops with the sound off. They mostly kept quiet, as did the class next door.

In our area of the building, the security is extremely lax both at the outside door and the upstairs landing area. Our district is under intense scrutiny, especially regarding the fact that our schools are not safe. This won't help the central office which is reeling after the resignation of the superintendent and today's rejection by the state Department of Education of the district's turnaround plan.

Retirement looks more and more enticing.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:26 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
WOW. That had to be scary.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
This is the case in many places. I am looking to take an early retirement next year and return to private industry. Education has become too reliant on university "experts" with new research that isn't supported by real-world experience or longitudinal data. I frankly am tired of fighting for what I know is right. When too many middle schoolers don't know simple life skills like how to make $0.15 with coins, how many nickels there are in a quarter or quarters in a dollar but they are pushed along learning about abstract concepts with no factual knowledge I know it's time to go.

I'd love to return to private industry but they aren't hiring 57 year old engineers who have been out of the game for 9 years. I tried for about 3 years to find something in industry. The best I could come up with was a $20/hr job as a lab tech with no benefits. I know several engineers who were downsized in 2005-2008 like me who never did find work in engineering again. By the time they cut me they were cutting good engineers but there's a stigma attached to being let go. I mean it COULDN'T have just been the economy. There must be something wrong with you.

While I enjoy teaching I' come under fire for holding my students to high standards. My school wants few failures and lots of A's. I want to hold my students to the high standards I know they can achieve if they put their minds to it. To quote one of the other teachers "You have to do what you have to do to keep your job". Unfortunately, that makes teaching my J.O.B. and not my passion. I had no idea how political every decision I'd make as a teacher would be. Silly me. I thought I could just close my door and teach.

10 years until retirement....

Old 11-13-2016, 01:34 PM

Emails you have to love,

Mrs. I,

I was out of school on Wednesday and Thursday and didn't realize we have a quiz tomorrow. Can I take it later? Also I need to make up the quiz from the last chapter that I missed.

Your Student.

It never ceases to amaze me how many students are absent or have excuses for not taking a test or quiz on the assigned day and then wait weeks to make them up.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:19 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
4 more days until break. It can't come soon enough.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:24 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Is this your fall break? How long does it last?

Old 11-14-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I need a break. We get 4 days next week. The school district I live in takes the entire week off. I wish we did that.

Enjoy your break. I'm counting down the days until Christmas break. I'm so ready.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:06 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Is this your fall break? How long does it last?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I need a break. We get 4 days next week. The school district I live in takes the entire week off. I wish we did that.

Enjoy your break. I'm counting down the days until Christmas break. I'm so ready.
Thanksgiving. We get the whole week.

I'm from north of you, tgbwc (Baltimore). Nephews get 2 lousy days.

4 weeks till Christmas.

My 2nd group irritated me so much today, I turned classwork into a quiz grade.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:24 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Thanksgiving. We get the whole week.

I'm from north of you, tgbwc (Baltimore). Nephews get 2 lousy days.
Wow. We get the same as your nephews...Thursday and Friday. I do wish we had Wednesday off to allow for some travel time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching