Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 06:07 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times

Advertisements

If you're still thinking of a $40K budget, look west. We bought just south of Jackson. Initially I wanted to buy in the northeast, near to where I went to college, but prices and cold moved us further west, and further west again. We wound up south of Jackson but we had looked in the towns to the north. Those seem to be more built-up - which is what we were NOT looking for, but it sounds more like what you want. Look around Milan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 07:30 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Does anyone else find it curious that the good folks of Tennessee get labeled as hicks? That our state is made fun of? That our culture,cuisine and ways of living are the butt of many jokes? Yet it sure seems like everyone and thier brother is wanting to move here? Whats up with that?

Old 11-22-2010, 07:45 AM

688 posts, read 1,490,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Does anyone else find it curious that the good folks of Tennessee get labeled as hicks? That our state is made fun of? That our culture,cuisine and ways of living are the butt of many jokes? Yet it sure seems like everyone and thier brother is wanting to move here? Whats up with that?
They want to go where living is cheaper, climate is milder, people are nicer there than where they are from, then take over the place and run roughshod over the locals (3 examples - Western North Carolina and Florida taken over by New Yorkers, Pacific Northwest and Idaho taken over by Californians (though climate is not nicer there in Northwest obviously), Ozark Mtns of Missouri and Arkansas taken over by Chicagoans).

Last edited by rxpwas; 11-22-2010 at 08:00 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post

Hey, you ARE hicks! And I cannot wait to be one!

As for "running roughshod" over the locals: I don't want to run anything. I'd like to quietly fit in and do my own thing. I'll leave you alone, you leave me alone. Sure I'll join some local groups, take some classes at the universities (there sure are enough!) and help out where I can. We didn't buy a house out in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors nearby just to try to run things.

I wanna be a little fish in a little pond! and my hubby wants to not be in the pond at all! TN, here we come!

Old 11-24-2010, 04:52 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,936 times
No. We are not hicks. We are a living example of some of the niceities of a by-gone era. Hick, redneck, hillbilly- may be terms of endearment when coming from people who 'are one.' People who think it's cute, or funny or quaint who are moving here or looking to move- most definitely do not fit that definition.
Should I say that I want to move to NYC to become a rude*****, nasally speaking, materialistic New Yorker? Claim that I can't LIVE without a good bagel shop on every corner and a Barneys to shop?

Cuts both ways, doesn't it?

Old 11-24-2010, 07:07 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,104 times
RRR- You go girl! I tried to rep you but can't. Very well put and I agree with you 100%!
NYAnnie- Take what RRR said to heart and tone down the enthusiasm on "becoming a hick" because by saying that you are really in essence saying I am different from the locals, but I'm a good person, but I can live with them.(emphasis on "them" as if they are less then you) Tn. is a live and let live kind of place, no pretentiousness here unless the transplants bring it with them.
Pam

Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR
Should I say that I want to move to NYC to become a rude*****, nasally speaking, materialistic New Yorker? Claim that I can't LIVE without a good bagel shop on every corner and a Barneys to shop?

Cuts both ways, doesn't it?
Doesn't cut at all. I'm sorry you took my attempt at humor personally.
You are welcome to the bagel shop and I've never been in a Barneys and don't know what they sell. Strange how you'd define NY that way, but if that's how you see NYers, go for it. I am not a NYer. I just live here with no ties or pride in it. It is where the job is. As for NYers being rude, you're right and it's one reason I'd rather be elsewhere.

Now moving to TN is another matter. It's a matter of choice. Strange how you'd take insult from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
RRR- You go girl! I tried to rep you but can't. Very well put and I agree with you 100%!
NYAnnie- Take what RRR said to heart and tone down the enthusiasm on "becoming a hick" because by saying that you are really in essence saying I am different from the locals, but I'm a good person, but I can live with them.(emphasis on "them" as if they are less then you) Tn. is a live and let live kind of place, no pretentiousness here unless the transplants bring it with them.
Pam
Pam, same as my response to RRR. I can't imagine why saying "I want to be one of you" is taken as an insult. But I guess that's your way of saying that if one is not a native and doesn't just blend into the wallpaper, they aren't welcome?

Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Doesn't cut at all. I'm sorry you took my attempt at humor personally.
You are welcome to the bagel shop and I've never been in a Barneys and don't know what they sell. Strange how you'd define NY that way, but if that's how you see NYers, go for it. I am not a NYer. I just live here with no ties or pride in it. It is where the job is. As for NYers being rude, you're right and it's one reason I'd rather be elsewhere.

Now moving to TN is another matter. It's a matter of choice. Strange how you'd take insult from that.

Pam, same as my response to RRR. I can't imagine why saying "I want to be one of you" is taken as an insult. But I guess that's your way of saying that if one is not a native and doesn't just blend into the wallpaper, they aren't welcome?
I never said you weren't welcome. I am not even going to try to explain it all to you any longer, you'll learn. Why so defensive?

Old 11-24-2010, 09:34 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,936 times
I don't take insult from your desire to move. It's your label (be it in jest or not) that you slapped on the locals. Whether you know it or not, you're drawing an us or them line in the sand. Saying that you want to fit in and be comfortable in your new area is TOTALLY fine. Saying I want to learn to live the country lifestyle and enjoy a slower pace is fine. Calling someone by a derogatory nickname in an attempt to assimilate doesn't cut it.
Tennessee, by virtue of it's slower pace of life, it's social mores that were left behind in much of the US, it's southern drawl and slower way of talking- things that we are PROUD of, also gives a lot of people fodder for poking fun. Yes, we're different here and we like it like that. Obviously you do too or else you wouldn't be moving here.
Just don't refer to your neighbors and townspeople as hicks. It won't earn you any points and may alienate you and your family.

Thanks for the rep attempt, Pam

Old 11-24-2010, 10:55 AM

23 posts, read 138,999 times
People on the intrawebz are funny.

No matter what, folks insist on getting their knickers in a knot over something or another.

My recommendation: judge each immigrant to your fine state on a case by case basis. Until we (individually) do something scary, don't be so scared.

Other than the possible sin of requiring high-speed internet, I don't think I've committed any horrifying faux pas toward becoming Future Outstanding Citizen of Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee