Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 07:58 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
When Bossy stops giving milk it won't matter . . .
If you like your beef stringy and full of grissel then that's the kind of meat you will get from a milker...... Good meat comes from the "Steer"......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 08:08 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
Yeah . . . but they'll take anything to the stockyard that is still walking.

When I was a kid I worked on neighboring farms during the summer and after school. I spend a wonderful morning one time cutting the testicles off of little piglets. Uh, it wasn't one of my career highlights. And, yes, they went "wee, wee, wee" all the way home. Come to think of it, so did I.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:52 AM

Thumbs up Ouch!

Quote:
Yeah . . . but they'll take anything to the stockyard that is still walking.

When I was a kid I worked on neighboring farms during the summer and after school. I spend a wonderful morning one time cutting the testicles off of little piglets. Uh, it wasn't one of my career highlights. And, yes, they went "wee, wee, wee" all the way home. Come to think of it, so did I.
I agree with you on the stock yards. I delivered lab coats and rugs too several slaughter houses up north years ago and saw what went on I did not eat pork or beef for many years......

Old 11-12-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
I agree with you on the stock yards. I delivered lab coats and rugs to several slaughter houses up north years ago and saw what went on I did not eat pork or beef for many years......
I once did "as built" drawings of a working slaughter house. Another career highlight.

"Uh, could one of you move that carcass while we measure the wall-to-wall length in here?"

Old 11-12-2007, 10:53 AM

Red face carcass

Quote:
I once did "as built" drawings of a working slaughter house. Another career highlight.

"Uh, could one of you move that carcass while we measure the wall-to-wall length in here?"
Mine was watch your step,,,,,,,, don't trip over the pile of end trails.........

Old 11-12-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Mine was watch your step,,,,,,,, don't trip over the pile of end trails.........
Then there was the 9th grade field trip to the stockyards . . . to watch pigs being slaughtered after first being electrocuted. I had a wonderful childhood . . .

Old 11-12-2007, 12:09 PM

Talking Little Piggies

Quote:
Then there was the 9th grade field trip to the stockyards . . . to watch pigs being slaughtered after first being electrocuted. I had a wonderful childhood . . .

That's how they make SizzleLean.........

Old 11-12-2007, 04:02 PM

665 posts, read 1,926,367 times
Quote:
That's how they make SizzleLean.........
Obviously not coming from down here and not really knowing how the slaughter of any animal is done , and you guys seeing and knowing it, how the heck do you eat meat ect, after seeing stuff like that? My son once made a comment about eggs, didnt eat them for a yr, and up north they had a show on turkeys right before Thanksgiving, needless to say, I saw it, and watched EVERYONE ELSE, eat the turkey that yr..

Old 11-12-2007, 07:20 PM

275 posts, read 1,125,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
If they are your cows their beautiful! What a nice picture.I really think I love to look at them, but the care seems so much!I dont think I could ever own one
not mine...
they just eat my grass and poop.
I don't mind, as long as they don't drink my beer!

Old 11-12-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
Obviously not coming from down here and not really knowing how the slaughter of any animal is done , and you guys seeing and knowing it, how the heck do you eat meat ect, after seeing stuff like that? My son once made a comment about eggs, didnt eat them for a yr, and up north they had a show on turkeys right before Thanksgiving, needless to say, I saw it, and watched EVERYONE ELSE, eat the turkey that yr..
I had a friend whose three-year old boy piped up at dinner one night wanting to know if chicken breasts only came from female chickens. His mother had a moment of silence over that one.

As to your question, there is also something to be said for actually knowing where your food comes from. Remember that for most of human history people either killed their own meat, or were at least around others who did. Years ago in the country the time around Thanksgiving was known as "hog killing time"--this was because they waited until there was cold weather to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee