Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 11:04 PM

20 posts, read 81,084 times

Advertisements

My family is from Sneedville, I have lived there off and on in the past. I like it, but it can be isolated if you get out from town. BTW, those listings for channel 2 are for the towers. The studios are in Knoxville. I know because I was on the Scholar's Bowl for Cherokee High (Rogersville) way back in the good ole days of 1994!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,423 times
Default Sneedville Hick

I have lived in Sneedville all of my life and see a lot of people come and go. A few people over here opened up realty companies and are getting rich land here has skyrocketed. The problem is they aren't telling the whole story the majority of the county is on some sort of government assistance program welfare etc. Now that Tenn Care has been cut back people are stealing everything they can get their hands on. In the past five years their has been multiple murders mostly Meth related If you don't believe me call 1 423 733 2249 and ask them about the baliff that was murdered a deputy was shot five times by a meth head and killing on top of drug related killings. Hardly a Myberry episode. Most all of the people who do work drive an hour or so to the nearest towns.They have even found people tied up in chairs and killed execution style. Sneedville used to be just as describes a place of peace and quiet and peopl who only mind thei own buisness but now I wonder how long it will be before I have to leave also.I will be glad to answer any questions overhome60@hotmail.com P.S. a lot of people are moving in here but it seems they don't stay very long. The problem is when they try to resell the land it just sits on the market because you can bet your ass there aren't any locals that's going to pay these current prices.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:33 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
tnhick,
I had NO IDEA things were that bad in Sneedville! I honestly don't hear anything about Hancock county on the local news here (Chanel 11 and 5.)
Not saying I don't believe you I just wish they would cover some of these stories.
I have to say I agree with you about not understanding why folks are willing to pay SOOO much more than a property is worth just because it is cheaper than they are used too. I just read on here about a gated community being planned for Straw Plains.........Gated community in Straw plains???!!! It is so rocky there you can't plant a decent garden and there is basically no industry or work there.
I do understand your frustration and again, I had no idea things had gotten that bad up your way as far as crime, I hope it gets handled very soon!
Good luck to you.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:41 AM

5 posts, read 16,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnhick View Post
I have lived in Sneedville all of my life and see a lot of people come and go. A few people over here opened up realty companies and are getting rich land here has skyrocketed. The problem is they aren't telling the whole story the majority of the county is on some sort of government assistance program welfare etc. Now that Tenn Care has been cut back people are stealing everything they can get their hands on. In the past five years their has been multiple murders mostly Meth related If you don't believe me call 1 423 733 2249 and ask them about the baliff that was murdered a deputy was shot five times by a meth head and killing on top of drug related killings. Hardly a Myberry episode. Most all of the people who do work drive an hour or so to the nearest towns.They have even found people tied up in chairs and killed execution style. Sneedville used to be just as describes a place of peace and quiet and peopl who only mind thei own buisness but now I wonder how long it will be before I have to leave also.I will be glad to answer any questions overhome60@hotmail.com P.S. a lot of people are moving in here but it seems they don't stay very long. The problem is when they try to resell the land it just sits on the market because you can bet your ass there aren't any locals that's going to pay these current prices.
Thanks for the insight. I was considerring moving there from northeart Georgia. Same thing is happening here in the small town that I have lived all my life.
Best Regards,
Skytalker

Old 11-15-2007, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,702 times
Default Sneedville, TN

We sold our house in St Petersburg, FL in 2005 and purchased 55 acres in Kyles Ford, TN which is 13 miles from Sneedville. We absolutely love it. It is rural, quiet, no traffic, lots of wild life. Snow flurries only. Snow does not stay for more than 2-3 hours, unless it is a very shaded spot. You can get all the shopping, etc you want in Rogersville, 19 miles away. Unless you don't like Super Walmart.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:53 AM

5 posts, read 10,485 times
Sneedville is remote, beautiful, wonderful, and remote. To do major shopping you will need to drive about an hour away. sneedville does have a drug store, hardware, and grocery store, etc. As for price, I find that land is not that cheap. Colorado can be as good a bargain. if you like remote, then Sneedville is for you. I was raised in Sneedville, now live in Maryland.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:05 AM

4 posts, read 11,941 times
Good Morning All,
Like JR we think we have found the perfect property in Sneedville, would like some feedback before trekking to the town to look at it. Replies from anyone in town would be greatly appreciated. We are basically looking to get away from populated areas, have horses, and pretty much keep to ourselves, however it would be nice to be able to go into town every so often and chit chat with the folks there. Are we looking in the wrong place for this?????? From the sounds of what is on the blog so far it sounds perfect. NO we are not from Florida, and we aren't looking to have people do it "our" way we are looking for rural AMERICA, the way it should be.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:40 PM

19 posts, read 92,854 times
Hello. I hadn't been on this site in over a year! I live here...what would you like to know?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,630 times
My surname is Sneed....wondering are there any "SNEEDS" in Sneedville.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee