Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 08:27 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

Don't plan on going Christmas shopping on Sunday or driving anywhere North or Northeast. The 10 day weather forecast looks like Sunday is going to be our worst day heading into Christmas in Tennessee but it's that snow, rain, wind scenario along with 25 - 40 degree temps.

And Monday, 40s and chilly, but the rest of the time 50s so not cold, not icy, no snow and some rain here and there. I checked Pigeon Forge weather (going more East) and Crossville (going west), too, not just Oak Ridge. I'm assuming south of me won't be worse. Sunday is the yucky day in all three places but with mostly 50s and 40s temps for the next 10 days, except Sunday, it looks like we'll be okay.

And if you are from the Northeast and dreaming of Tennessee, well...

A POWERFUL WINTER STORM IS FORECAST TO TRACK ALONG THE EASTERN SEABOARD LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH EARLY MONDAY MORNING. THIS STORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BRING HEAVY SNOWFALL...IN EXCESS OF 7 INCHES...NORTH AND WEST OF THE CAPITAL DISTRICT. FROM THE CAPITAL DISTRICT AS WELL AS POINTS SOUTH AND EAST...THIS STORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BRING HEAVY SNOW AND SLEET...POSSIBLY BRIEFLY MIXED WITH FREEZING RAIN IN THE MID HUDSON VALLEY AND NORTHWEST CONNECTICUT.

And if you are from the mid-Atlantic and dreaming of Tennessee, well...

MUCH OF THE MID ATLANTIC REGION HAS THE POTENTIAL TO RECEIVE SIGNIFICANT WINTRY PRECIPITATION SATURDAY THROUGH SUNDAY. THIS INCLUDES THE POSSIBILITY OF SOME AREAS RECEIVING 5 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION AND A QUARTER INCH OR MORE OF ICE ACCUMULATION. PREPARATIONS SHOULD BE MADE NOW FOR HAZARDOUS WINTER WEATHER ACROSS THE REGION SATURDAY THROUGH SUNDAY. A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW... SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

And if you are from Michigan or Indiana and dreaming of Tennessee, well...

LIGHT SNOW IS POSSIBLE SATURDAY EVENING ACROSS EXTREME SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN WITH SNOW BECOMING MODERATE TO HEAVY AFTER MIDNIGHT...AND CONTINUING INTO SUNDAY MORNING. ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE BY LATE SUNDAY MORNING WHEN THE STORM SYSTEM PULLS OFF TO THE EAST COAST. WINDS WILL ALSO INCREASE LATE SATURDAY NIGHT WITH GUSTS TO 30 MPH CAUSING DECREASED VISIBILITIES IN HEAVY SNOW SHOWERS.

But Florida, hey, it's 80 degrees in Boca Raton - no shovels but that's not Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 09:02 AM

661 posts, read 2,897,034 times
Hey, I don't mind having a Christmas tree/palm tree hybrid. Poor family in NE will barely be dug out from yesterday's mess when they get hit again Sunday.

When we first moved south in the early 90s, I was pretty bummed out at 60-70 degree Christmases and felt the need to go back north. After ten years of snow, sleet, and slush I had enough.

Funny how your likes and dislikes can do a 360 as you get older. Though this week's 80s were a little much, I prefer this to the northern alternative.

Just one old bag's opinion.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:08 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
I lived in TN for awhile and the weather was God-awful (minus early fall). Rainy and cloudy winters (read:MUD), spring was ok, summers are HELL.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:43 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Heard we may get 10+ inches of snow here on Sunday. I hope they are wrong. Had just a couple of inches last night. I wouldn't mind if it would melt earlier than April!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 06:32 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
Wink Stay bundled up and off of the roads, AlisonL.

Just heard on weather channel that Boston had 10+ today and by Sunday could have another 6+ inches. It is a little early for the NE for that heavy a snowfall.

Sure hope Maine doesn't take the brunt of it, AlisonL. Stay indoors and sip hot cocoa. Ahhh.

We won't have to expect anything even close down here in TN or N. GA. Why shouldn't we be happy and friendly? Look at our weather this week!!

Old 12-14-2007, 07:13 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
All of that cold weather sounds wonderful!! I'm in SE China right now for the next few weeks, about an hour from Hong Kong by boat. Highs around 70, lows around 65. Muggy. I love it here, but I'd rather have a nice, cold Christmas.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I was looking at the radar yesterday, while at work, and seeing the snow hit New England. I know my mother, who is 72, and a life-long New Englander, has enough sense to stay in, so I didn't worry.

Nope. She decides she can beat the snow and travels 25 miles, only to go back home through the snow, with visibility reduced to nothing, and the only choice but to navigate back roads that are very steep.

GRRRRR.

She's fine but I made her do her grocery shopping today before the possible Nor'easter.

Have a wonderful vacation, JMT!

Old 12-14-2007, 09:52 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
JMT, what a wonderful way to spend your winter's break from UT! Have a wonderful time in China - and be careful not to break any!

Old 12-15-2007, 02:36 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
All of that cold weather sounds wonderful!! I'm in SE China right now for the next few weeks, about an hour from Hong Kong by boat. Highs around 70, lows around 65. Muggy. I love it here, but I'd rather have a nice, cold Christmas.
How exciting!!! What are you doing talking to us? Take photos. Have fun.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:14 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Default Well........

I do feel for those in the North East and Mid west that have all been hit with such BAD winter weather, grew up in CT and I still recall very clearly the ice storm of 78' and the destruction yet beauty of it all. (boy I just aged myself there didn't I.) And I do know it is hard and can be scary to get around in the stuff. However the thought of even the possibility of a white Christmas has me so excited, I feel like a kid on Christmas eve waiting for Santa! LOL!
JMT, be safe, have fun and don't play with any toys over there take lots of pictures.
Merry Christmas y'all!

(singing way off key) "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee