Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 03:52 PM

8 posts, read 10,051 times

Advertisements

Helllo, my wife and I both are 30 and our four kids ages 12, 8, 7, and 3 are considering a move to tennesse next year. We are a bi racial family I'm black/ white and she is white and our kids are mixed. We are looking for a country setting with about two acres to put a doublewide on. Must be within about 20 minutes to a city doesn't have to be a big one. All of my work history is warehouse, forklift. So an area where there will be work. We're looking for an area with a low crime rate and one where we won't be considered outcasts for being bi racial. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 05:10 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,579,481 times
I do not know if you are a certified fort lift driver but if so.... you might want consider the Nissan plant in Smyrna.
I know it's not Cookeville but there is also Amazon warehouse that seems to be always hiring. Good certified fort lift drivers are always in short supply in the middle Tennessee. Bridgestone in Morrison is another possibility.

A couple of acres should not be hard to find, seems like there are for sale signs every where.
Good luck in your move and job...
Best of luck and welcome to the great state of Tennessee.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:02 PM

Default Bi racial family moving to Tennessee

Bi racial family black/white looking to move to Tennessee. We would like to a property with at least 2 acres. What part would we be most accepted with a good school where my kids will be accpeted

Old 10-15-2014, 06:06 PM

869 posts, read 1,788,647 times
Academy Sports is building a large warehouse distribution center here in Cookeville. There are many interracial couples here in Cookeville and I have not seen any bias against bi racial families. As you look into Tennessee, you owe it to yourself to look into the Cookeville area.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:07 PM

Thank you. Yes I am certified. We really haven't decided exactly where in tennessee we want to live. My wife loves tennessee as a whole. She grew up in Murfreesboro but we're trying to explore and see where our kids will fit in best and possible job oppurtunities. I apprecise your feedback.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:52 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
These kinds of threads do not usually end satisfactorily. Everyone's experience is different. No one can guarantee that you will be accepted regardless of your race, especially since it only takes one bad neighbor to ruin things.

The main things we need to know are your price range, how old your kids are and what kind of jobs you will have.

Also, in many parts of TN, 2 acres is considered a regular yard in a subdivision. Just FYI. You won't necessarily be off on your own, if that is what you are hoping for.

Give us a little more info pls.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:54 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,248,151 times
^^^ This

Speaking entirely in generalities, you will be just as "accepted" as a biracial family anywhere in TN as you are in Ohio, or New York, or Mississippi, or California. And even if people secretly disapprove of your choice in a mate, the overwhelmingly vast majority of people in this country are "live and let live" types.

That said, I agree with Wmsn4Life in that in only takes one bad neighbor to really make your life miserable. Unfortunately, you might find that neighbor anywhere.

Assuming the "biracial" bit is settled, back to the other questions. We'll have to know much more about you than your relationship status to recommend an area.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:46 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohst85 View Post
Bi racial family black/white looking to move to Tennessee. We would like to a property with at least 2 acres. What part would we be most accepted with a good school where my kids will be accpeted
What are you looking for in schools. Generally the more tax revenue the better the teachers and more/better programs are offered. The more urban areas generally generate more tax revenue for the school system.

You can find property with 2 acres anywhere in TN.

Biracial families are accepted anywhere in TN. Again, urban areas will be more diverse if that is what you are looking for.

You probably need to concentrate on where you can find employment. Again, more urban areas have more job opportunities.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:13 AM

My wife is in the restaurant industry and I am I have experience in warehouse/plant and forklift so we are looking to be spmewhere close to these type of jobs. We are looking for good school systems. By the time we make our move to tennesse well have kids in elementary, middle school, and high school. Thanks.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:18 AM

We don't want to live in a big city bit within 15 minutes or so from a city or just on the out skirts. We're not sure of any cities that these jobs have more demand in. We don't have jobs that we can transfer to so well need to be somewhere close to where these jobs are at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee