Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 7,269 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Collierville TN from San Diego CA
I expected the worst and honestly I'm quite surprised! I thought it was humid always. I've been here for 2 months and it hasnt been bad at all!!!! Its not humid everday. The weather was perfect today. The heat in CA has been way worst this summer than out here. I swear I feel like I brought the CA weather here. Also I heard its not humid year around. Just summer months but from what I experience it hasnt been everyday these past 2 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 02:40 PM

5 posts, read 7,269 times
Oh also check the percentage of humidity on a weather app everday to compare CA to TN. I did before I moved and a lot of the time it was comparable. I noticed anything under 86% humidity isnt humid comparef to to cA weather. Right now its 57% humidity in SD and 37% in collierville TN more humid in CA!

Old 09-08-2017, 11:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese265 View Post
Oh also check the percentage of humidity on a weather app everday to compare CA to TN. I did before I moved and a lot of the time it was comparable. I noticed anything under 86% humidity isnt humid comparef to to cA weather. Right now its 57% humidity in SD and 37% in collierville TN more humid in CA!
"Right now" it is extremely dry and pleasant in Tennessee. You need to compare the DEWPOINT from about a month or so ago.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:43 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnySantana View Post
i really enjoy tennessee and would love to move there, but i am a weather snob being from california and humidity is my arch enemy ! if i could find a microclimate in tennessee i may pull the trigger and make the move there. when i read the comparisons of humidity typically it is just that, a comparison to a different humid area. im wondering how the humidity compares to an area similar to california. obviously it will not be the same, but is there an area in TN that is tolerable to a wimpy weather californian ?
Download a heat index and wind chill factor app.

For example, if it's 90 degrees outside and 70% humidity, the outside temperatue will feel like 105 degees.

A 90 degree with 85% humidity gives a heat index of 117 degrees, which is pretty unusual for Tennessee. That temp and heat index would be rough, no matter where you are.

If you can handle105 degees in Las Vegas during the month of June, then 90 degree days with relatively high humidity in Tennessee should be a real snap for you to adjust to.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 09-09-2017 at 03:00 AM..

Old 09-15-2017, 01:01 PM

12 posts, read 18,703 times
I live in NE TN Blountville,TN been here a decade, from NY. the humidity can be very bad it was mildly humid this season and in the upper 80's-low 90's we are currently at nearly 3" of rain I have had enough of it my self looking at ALBQ currently last kid in school. beautiful area love the reservoirs and hiking just think I need to dry out some been a good place to live

Old 09-15-2017, 01:25 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
I lived in the Sacramento area and Sierra foothills almost my entire life until we moved to an area outside Knoxville 4 years ago. I HATE extreme humidity like they have in Florida and the deep south. Eastern TN definitely is more humid than CA, but not as bad as some people make it seem, and it's a few months in the summer when it gets kind of bad. Just like the heat in CA gets so bad a few months of the year. It's green here all summer because of the rain and that's why it's more humid. If you like arid, dry heat in the high 90's and 100's in CA, with brown, dried up, grass and water rationing, don't move to TN. If you like summer temps in the upper 80's to mid 90's with SOME humidity that varies from a little to sometimes quite sticky, then TN might be for you. As others have said, the Cumberland Plateau is a little cooler and a little less humid than the rest of the state. The western part of the state near the Mississippi river can get VERY humid.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I lived in the Sacramento area and Sierra foothills almost my entire life until we moved to an area outside Knoxville 4 years ago. I HATE extreme humidity like they have in Florida and the deep south. Eastern TN definitely is more humid than CA, but not as bad as some people make it seem, and it's a few months in the summer when it gets kind of bad. Just like the heat in CA gets so bad a few months of the year. It's green here all summer because of the rain and that's why it's more humid. If you like arid, dry heat in the high 90's and 100's in CA, with brown, dried up, grass and water rationing, don't move to TN. If you like summer temps in the upper 80's to mid 90's with SOME humidity that varies from a little to sometimes quite sticky, then TN might be for you. As others have said, the Cumberland Plateau is a little cooler and a little less humid than the rest of the state. The western part of the state near the Mississippi river can get VERY humid.
I agree, if you've ever been to Florida for any length of time, especially south of Central Florida, then this is nothing.

However, these folks live all the way in northeast Tennessee and they aren't too happy. It's all about personal preferences and perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halicon View Post
I live in NE TN Blountville,TN been here a decade, from NY. the humidity can be very bad it was mildly humid this season and in the upper 80's-low 90's we are currently at nearly 3" of rain I have had enough of it my self looking at ALBQ currently last kid in school. beautiful area love the reservoirs and hiking just think I need to dry out some been a good place to live

Old 09-20-2017, 11:53 AM

667 posts, read 763,382 times
I lived in SoCal for over 50 years and now live in Tennessee. I also could not stand humid weather ... or so I thought. But living in SoCal any longer was much worse than dealing with humidity. After 5 years in Tennessee the humidity no longer bothers me. Life in Tennessee is great and much better than dealing with the problems in California.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:15 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
A self proclaimed "weather wimp" who does not like humidity and heat is asking to be miserable by moving anywhere in the southeast. Even high elevation places we might think of as low humidity will seem humid to a western person. Also the major relief from heat and humidity is over 4000 feet of elevation, very few places in Tennessee have houses and development that high up the mountain. Another facto for the OP to consider is winter. While our winter is mild by northern standards, Tennessee and most of the southeast do get some winter weather. Occasional snow, lows in 20s etc. the average high in Knoxville in January is 49, compared to California that is cold. The eastern USA has a lot more weather in general than California, we have seasons, we have heat and humidity and we have a couple inches of snow in the winter. I have known several western people who moved here and none of them like our weather. The summers really get to them. However most westerners love our green environment and plentiful water.
California is a huge state with extreme climate differences. Due to its extremely varied topography and proximity to the Pacific Ocean, wild weather swings and stark climactic differences abound. And so much of these differences depend on elevation and proximity to the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee