Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2007, 07:20 AM

630 posts, read 2,432,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyevansmom View Post
I tried that link, but it goes to scout something and is all about Tenn Vols. Hmmmm....
I even googled rockytop in Tennessee, and it gave me that same scout website... number one link.
The other links were about the song.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:33 AM

75 posts, read 347,912 times
sorry, try rockytoprealty.com

Old 02-18-2007, 08:40 AM

6 posts, read 13,287 times
Default Gatlinburg will always be expensive

We don't have Meijer but do have Super Wal-Mart where you can find anything 24 hrs/day.

Gatlinburg is a tourist town and the cost of living there is based entirely on that type of economy. Go elsewhere in TN, and you can find that 1500 sq. ft. home for much less than 175K. To travel further than expected from a moderatly priced home to a great paying job might not be a bad thing. It's all a trade off!

Old 02-18-2007, 10:06 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Quote:
Relocated here from MI in July. I've always wanted to live here for the weather and the scenery. My husband got a great paying job in Gatlinburg. Here's where the problems started.

Could not find housing. We have a home back in MI we have to sell before we can buy one here. There are no Apartments close to Gatlinburg. We ended up renting in Seymour. Nice apartments, but 40 minutes one way to work.

Prices of housing. B/C we work in Gatlinburg, we need to be fairly close to it and home prices are way to much $. Rip-off as far as I'm concerned. Maybe b/c home prices in MI are so good? My home in MI is 1500 sq ft, 3 bed 2 1/2 bath, 1/3 acre. $120,000 in a great safe neighborhood with great schools. Here in Gatlinburg/Sevierville/Pigeon Forge, I can't touch that home for less than $175,000.

Milk prices. Anywhere from $3.25-$4.99 a gallon. Store brand, not name brand. Michigan prices: $2.79.

No Meijer. Those of you living in MI, IL, OH, IN, and KY....can you imagine not having a Meijer????

Price of Fresh Fruits and Vegetables. Ooooohhh...that one really irks me. Why is it that a nice warm area has no Fruit Stands? Grocery store pricing for veges is a crime! $3.99/lb for tomatoes in August is highway robbery! MI tomatoes are $.99/lb at the same time! And $4 for a cauliflower???? Come on!!

After all of my complaining, I have to say, I do like TN. Maybe I'm just in the wrong part of it. Knoxville would seem better for me and my family, but the drive to work would be over an hour and that's not happening. It is a bit of a culture shock as everything moves slower down here and the people are nonchalant about EVERYTHING. I guess, you just take the bad with the good.

If anybody has any insight on what I've expressed concerns on, I would love you to death!
I'm sorry that things haven't gone better for you. The main problem is that you moved right into the middle of one of the biggest tourist traps in the U.S. (The Smokies get more visitors than any other National Park.) Therefore, high prices for everything. I live 100 miles northeast in the Tri-Cities, and there is no way I would live where you are except as a retiree. The good news is that you don't have to pay those ridiculous prices for produce. Next summer, you should have more time to locate some of the roadside produce stands and farmers markets to be found in your area. And the best milk prices are usually at the chain convenience stores. Anyway, you can't beat the scenery. Best wishes.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:53 AM

5 posts, read 30,457 times
Quote:
Relocated here from MI in July. I've always wanted to live here for the weather and the scenery. My husband got a great paying job in Gatlinburg. Here's where the problems started.

Could not find housing. We have a home back in MI we have to sell before we can buy one here. There are no Apartments close to Gatlinburg. We ended up renting in Seymour. Nice apartments, but 40 minutes one way to work.

Prices of housing. B/C we work in Gatlinburg, we need to be fairly close to it and home prices are way to much $. Rip-off as far as I'm concerned. Maybe b/c home prices in MI are so good? My home in MI is 1500 sq ft, 3 bed 2 1/2 bath, 1/3 acre. $120,000 in a great safe neighborhood with great schools. Here in Gatlinburg/Sevierville/Pigeon Forge, I can't touch that home for less than $175,000.

Milk prices. Anywhere from $3.25-$4.99 a gallon. Store brand, not name brand. Michigan prices: $2.79.

No Meijer. Those of you living in MI, IL, OH, IN, and KY....can you imagine not having a Meijer????

Price of Fresh Fruits and Vegetables. Ooooohhh...that one really irks me. Why is it that a nice warm area has no Fruit Stands? Grocery store pricing for veges is a crime! $3.99/lb for tomatoes in August is highway robbery! MI tomatoes are $.99/lb at the same time! And $4 for a cauliflower???? Come on!!

After all of my complaining, I have to say, I do like TN. Maybe I'm just in the wrong part of it. Knoxville would seem better for me and my family, but the drive to work would be over an hour and that's not happening. It is a bit of a culture shock as everything moves slower down here and the people are nonchalant about EVERYTHING. I guess, you just take the bad with the good.

If anybody has any insight on what I've expressed concerns on, I would love you to death!

i live in greeneville Tn and prices are a lot cheaper here i think the problem with the prices around gatlinburg is that its one of the states best tourist areas so the prices are going to be much much higher when i go on church trips to gatlinburg the prices are ridiculous but i promise ya it aint like that everywhere but it is a very nice area to live in

Old 06-07-2007, 10:57 PM

111 posts, read 375,107 times
Default jefferson co

Welcome to Tn. I've been here all my life and about 25 minutes from P.F., little more from Gatlinburg going backroads. If your paying that much for tomatos I'd love to know where. Grainger Co and Cocke Co are full of them. As for house prices yes they are high and continue to climb. They are high enough that local people are having a hard time finding an affordable home which is a sad thing. I have several people that we've looked for a pretty long time trying to find something nice and affordable.
I actually don't think it's much of a comparison between MI & TN housing markets. It seems like everybody wants to come here. To where we once had 1 property for sale and 2 people considering it now there's 10 so naturally the property owner wants as much as they can get. Your looking for prime realestate and comparing it to subprime realestate market.
I am a local and I can tell you that if you start with a comparison of "the way we did it where we're from" you are guarenteed not to have a very good experience because we actually don't care how it's done anywhere else, if it was that good you'd still be there and us here. We're not going to change. We like a laid back life and the way we do things and not very interested in learning a new prespectives from people who wanted away from the same ones. If your ways failed up there they will probably fail down here as well. Whoever posted that rushing someone up or being rude obtained the opposite reaction was correct, it will.
Never heard of the market you miss but it'd be good for some of these g. stores to have new comp. Then again I don't shop for a lot at commercial markets, we catch roadside farmers. They probably won't be much if indeed any cheaper that storebought but so much better tasting.
Most of East Tn is alike, we do about the same If city life is your thing try Ktown and maybe a different job but the houses are about the same for a decent neighborhood. Little less city is Newport or North Port, more house for your money but a bit less convience, little less commute to work. Dandridge & White Pine are a little higher and close in spots to Gburg, Greene, Hawkins & Grainger once again lower but a long drive.
You can thank the milk companies for the higher price, they for a few years actually bought out dairy farmers and paid them not to milk. You are no more guilty that many other people that come to here about not researching completely, I see it a lot. One too many Beverly Hillbilly Epsoides, one too few reality episodes. Those of us from here look out at the mountains everyday yet never go there (except rod runs).
I think west Tn prices are lower and also tri-city area prices are as well. Then again maybe another state, who knows.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:29 AM

592 posts, read 2,135,297 times
I guess I'm a nerd...I researched pretty much everything..right down to grocery stores.

I'm going to miss my HyVee, but think Ingles will work.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:40 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb62676 View Post
I guess I'm a nerd...I researched pretty much everything..right down to grocery stores.

I'm going to miss my HyVee, but think Ingles will work.
Ingle's is fine. Kroger's is good, too.

I don't like all of the Food Citys but some are good. The new one behind the Knoxville Center mall is GREAT. Go to the meat and seafood department and there are several butchers. One will come over to help you immediately. I stand by Mike the butcher. He always picks me out something great for supper!

Old 06-08-2007, 07:58 AM

22 posts, read 60,928 times
I'm looking at the Nashville area and have found the prices to be comparable to the metro Detroit area. Slightly higher as you get closer to downtown Nashville. This is understandable and I too believe you're in a popular area. The reason I'm looking to move out of Michigan is it's dead.

-The governor and legislature are playing accounting games to shore up a nearly 1 billion dollar shortfall in the budget.
-Legislatures in Michigan are second highest paid (California is first) but probably the least qualified bunch of individuals to run the state
-The city of Detroit is close to going into receivership.
-Taxes (already high) are going to continue to rise as people leave the state. -A realator told me my home has lost 20% of it's value over the past several years.
-I recently had to start paying flood insurance or around $2,000 per year extra. Was able to get this recinded at a cost of $500 plus a tremendous headache.
-Recent reports show Michigan pays the highest auto insurance.
-Highest gas prices in the country.
-Highest per pupil spending for schools but where do the schools rank nationally (anyone know)
-terrible, terrible race relations

I apologize if anyone is offended by my rantings but I'm moving though I may stop drinking milk ;-)

Old 06-08-2007, 08:58 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejk67 View Post
I'm looking at the Nashville area and have found the prices to be comparable to the metro Detroit area. Slightly higher as you get closer to downtown Nashville. This is understandable and I too believe you're in a popular area. The reason I'm looking to move out of Michigan is it's dead.

-The governor and legislature are playing accounting games to shore up a nearly 1 billion dollar shortfall in the budget.
-Legislatures in Michigan are second highest paid (California is first) but probably the least qualified bunch of individuals to run the state
-The city of Detroit is close to going into receivership.
-Taxes (already high) are going to continue to rise as people leave the state. -A realator told me my home has lost 20% of it's value over the past several years.
-I recently had to start paying flood insurance or around $2,000 per year extra. Was able to get this recinded at a cost of $500 plus a tremendous headache.
-Recent reports show Michigan pays the highest auto insurance.
-Highest gas prices in the country.
-Highest per pupil spending for schools but where do the schools rank nationally (anyone know)
-terrible, terrible race relations

I apologize if anyone is offended by my rantings but I'm moving though I may stop drinking milk ;-)
Not once did you mention why you wanted to move HERE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee