Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 05:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times

Advertisements

Be nice. Don't worry or complain about what your neighbor is doing. Just be nice. That's all the instructions you really need to live in Tennessee.

Did I mention that you need to be nice?

Or should I say, "Nuh-ice?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 05:30 PM

130 posts, read 566,407 times
Man, you guys are brutal and quite frankly, I think a few of you need to let your brain thaw before posting on the Internet.

I grew up in Connecticut and moved to Florida in 1990 where I lived for 16 years before coming to east Tn this past May. I agree that Florida can be written off as a state, which is a shame since it wasn't a bad place to live in the early to mid nineties. Now it's a cesspool with condo-lined shoreline.

I can't speak for anyone but me, and here's the way I see it:

I moved here because I want *this* lifestyle. I love the mountains, I appeciate the heritage, I love spending time outdoors in the four seasons and I want to live in the south. All the talk about trailer living, gun-toting people that go to church is the root of many a stereotype for people in other states to poke fun at, but who cares? I have a number of "southern" hobbies and this area is very conducive to my beliefs and desires. As far as "taking it with" me, I left everything in Florida, including a fantastic job and many good friends because I felt that when the dust settled, I'd be happier here. I was right too.

When someone decides to relocate they should just know that they will be expected to adapt to the area, not the other way around. As it has been stated before, one Florida is enough.

In closing, you guys should consider showing some southern hospitality to those moving in. Ask anyone that has spent some time in Florida and they'll tell you that you can't stop people from moving into "your" state.

As far as 90% of the people moving in from Florida, I don't buy that for a second. Heck, I moved in from down there and I'm one of the nicest people I know.

Joe

Old 02-01-2007, 05:33 PM

I'm not making fun of the people that live here. Where are you getting that? I love it here!

I guess I am not coming across very well.

Sorry.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:03 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
Well i don't care if anyone lives in a trailer (that was my first home in FL) i don't have a mansion and can't afford one anyways, I like country music, i'm not moving because of insurance rates, i grew up around hunting with my older brother though i don't eat anything i've seen killed and i could care less if people shoot their own guns (just not in my yard). i'm just looking to get away from all these Floridians that people are complaining about but don't want to be assumed i'm like "them". I just want peace and quiet, give my business to the mom and pop shops rather than the big corporations in TN to help those people survive and not be labeled as "one of those Floridians". On my last trip to TN, we stopped in an ice cream shop in the middle of nowhere and spent over an hour just chit chatting with the owners. That's the kind of lifestyle i like and hope to find

Old 02-01-2007, 06:12 PM

Daniellefort, you will be just fine.

Welcome to Tennessee!

Old 02-01-2007, 06:14 PM

35 posts, read 166,080 times
I want to leave Florida, because I can't afford to live here anymore. As far as the way people are I'd chalk that up to the way society is today. Pushy ignorant morons are everywhere. Even though I do believe that they congregate in some places. People will move to places where it's more affordable to live. All I want to do is find a place where I can blend in. Learn new things, meet new friends, slow down and enjoy life. The rest of the Rats can have the race.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:17 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Whoa!
Geesh, I am gone for most of the day, I come back and check and all of a sudden the TN forum, that I love reading and interacting with all these great people, seems like the nasty Fl board!!!! What the heck happened?
I sure do understand those who would be upset, and rightly so, if they thought someone would want to change their way of life here in TN. But think about this, folks that move here thinking they can change the way of life here find out REALLY quick, that the good folks with deep roots here are not going to allow that and say as much. The lady at the government office, the police officer that is called out with the complaint about a neighbor, clerk at the grocery store that is snubbed when they say hello, The DMV officer, the bank teller........trust me, those that want to "change" things will learn quick that it isn't going to happen any time soon. Those will also be the ones that complain about the locals "not liking new comers" as they exit the state.
Sometimes I think the phrases "halfbacker", "Flatlander" "Floridiot" "darn Yankee", are almost always used with a smile and in a teasing manner, but are terms used as a polite way of saying, "ok, I know you are not from here and I will give you a chance, but know we aren't going to change for you."
It took me about 5 of the 10 years to stop hearing those phrases towards me, even though I moved here and totaly assimilated, happily, but I understood where these folks were coming from. But if y'all think folks moving to TN from elsewhere is a new consept....wrong, people have been moving here from elsewhere for many many years and in great numbers and I don't see or hear of any street protests or any "hate crimes" against a "yankee" or flatlander".
A lot has to do with the local governments. You have to remember FL was built on retirees money (this goes back to the 30's and 40's) and they had to appease that tax bracket to survive, TN is NOT like that, we don't need that to survive as a state and the folks here would rather do without new roads every year to avoid to much change of their way of life.
Don't under estimate the Appalachian region, they ARE friendly and willing to share and do appreciate "new comers" who want to be here for what it is. Not what it could be. I see VERY few folks moving here because they HAVE to, but mostly because they WANT to. Because they want to slow down and enjoy the life style as it is. So when you see those colorful license plates, or hear those accents, why not assume they want and like what you like about TN first? But if they open their mouths with the "I wish is was more like____ (insert another state name here) just smile and say "Well, bless your heart" and wish them well and know they are going to have a tough time here until they pack up and try again elsewhere.
Just my 2 cents on the subject that I really hope isn't going to turn nasty.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:44 PM

631 posts, read 2,452,135 times
I did not specifically say Florida, so I dont know where that came from. And Joe, just because you have moved here doesn't make you an expert on living here.
I was born and raised here and can tell you on good authority that the people moving here are changing it and not in a good way. People in Nashville are being priced out of their neighborhoods just like people from Orlando are going through right now.

I see 2 lane roads with no shoulders that werent meant for traffic being destroyed by hummers and BMWs flying down them. Littering everywhere. I see McMansions displacing wildlife and replacing beautiful hills with pavement.

I see Targets and Starbucks popping up in fields next to cows - places that werent meant to have such things.

Before the influx there was no need for such things. People here did just fine with local business and lived here for the serenity.

I get so sad seeing all of this and on top of it all the most rude and obnoxious "im better than you and make more money" drivers in the world. It takes me 45 minutes to go 11 miles at best for work.

So in conclusion, yes they are moving here in droves and changing the landscape to be JUST what it was where they came from. The pollution, the insane real estate prices, etc.

So maybe we're not the ones with a frozen brain after all. Maybe we see the big picture here.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:29 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Well i don't care if anyone lives in a trailer (that was my first home in FL) i don't have a mansion and can't afford one anyways, I like country music, i'm not moving because of insurance rates, i grew up around hunting with my older brother though i don't eat anything i've seen killed and i could care less if people shoot their own guns (just not in my yard). i'm just looking to get away from all these Floridians that people are complaining about but don't want to be assumed i'm like "them". I just want peace and quiet, give my business to the mom and pop shops rather than the big corporations in TN to help those people survive and not be labeled as "one of those Floridians". On my last trip to TN, we stopped in an ice cream shop in the middle of nowhere and spent over an hour just chit chatting with the owners. That's the kind of lifestyle i like and hope to find
You will do just fine here in Tennessee! Many Floridians do have a bad reputation here; they're called "Floridiots" and often for a good reason. But many Floridians or New Yorkers or Michiganers etc. move here and blend right in with Tennesseans and are welcomed with open arms. I'm a native Floridian who has been embraced by my Tennessee neighbors, and I'm confident you'll also be warmly received here.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,198 times
Default Yup, that was us with the FL plates...

You might've seen my husband and I wandering around Franklin and Spring Hill during the past week. We might've even chatted a bit...we talked to a lot of real nice folks. Our grandkids live in Franklin and we just bought in Spring Hill. Please don't hold Florida against us. Beautiful country, friendly folks...what more could we ask for. Looking forward to being neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee