Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 06:54 AM

13,362 posts, read 40,032,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryn View Post
favorite place so far in TN is Mauricio's in Cookeville. great atmosphere, amazing food. it is in a historic house and the owners are there all the time, great! fireplaces, home made bread.
Great! we look forward to going there every time we are in the area!
we will be moving close by in a couple of years, and will make it a weekly ritual! let me know if anyone needs more info. great specail occasion place!
I'm glad you mentioned Mauricio's! It really is excellent, and the atmosphere is warm and cozy. There are several excellent, independent (non-chain) restaurants in downtown Cookeville, and Mauricio's is truly a treat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 07:18 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,360,151 times
JMT is back! Yippee!

I found a great restaurant in Knoxville. It just opened up.

In our never-ending search for good pizza I stopped into Cappellini's Italian Bistro. I asked for a to go menu and they said they didn't have one, but gave me their regular menu to keep. Great customer service.

That night we ordered pizza and picked it up. Fantastic!

I also noticed that there are lots of Italian dishes on the menu, but there is also lots of Greek dishes, too. I love Greek food! I grew up eating lots of it.

So we went back the next night. I got the spanakopita (spinach pie) and veal Parmesan. Great stuff!

It's run by part of the Captain family, who have run restaurants in Knoxville for generations.

We're going there tonight for our anniversary.

It's at the Emory Road exit, off of I-75. Go east and it is about a mile on the right in the plaza that has Bruster's ice cream.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,058,228 times
Happy anniversary Hiknapster!!!!!! Enjoy your dinner... When we arrive I will have to get the location of the greek place, we only have experienced it lightly and would love to try more...

Old 07-06-2007, 01:13 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,815,329 times
Default possibly the best ethnic restaurant...

of any kind anywhere in NE Tennessee is Pepper Heads Cafe, on Wilcox Dr. in Kingsport (near Meadowview). A friend of mine is Pepper Heads' lovely co-owner & head cook, and she turns out astoundingly good food based on her family recipes from South Korea. Folks drive from as far as Abingdon, Asheville & Knoxville just to eat there. It may not be open much longer so enjoy it while you can! Pepper Heads Cafe

Ridgewood Barbecue, near Bluff City, is famous for a very good reason: it's fantastic! It's a little off the beaten path and the wait can be long (e.g., I took my girlfriend there on a Saturday at 1:30 a few weeks ago, and the est. wait time was 45 minutes), but the trade-off is worth it. Some Ridgewood reviews:
Ridgewood Barbecue - Bluff City, TN
Ridgewood Barbecue: the end of all "best barbecue" debate

Last edited by kamoshika; 07-06-2007 at 01:30 PM..

Old 07-06-2007, 01:23 PM

13,362 posts, read 40,032,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
JMT is back! Yippee!

I found a great restaurant in Knoxville. It just opened up.

In our never-ending search for good pizza I stopped into Cappellini's Italian Bistro. I asked for a to go menu and they said they didn't have one, but gave me their regular menu to keep. Great customer service.

That night we ordered pizza and picked it up. Fantastic!

I also noticed that there are lots of Italian dishes on the menu, but there is also lots of Greek dishes, too. I love Greek food! I grew up eating lots of it.

So we went back the next night. I got the spanakopita (spinach pie) and veal Parmesan. Great stuff!

It's run by part of the Captain family, who have run restaurants in Knoxville for generations.

We're going there tonight for our anniversary.

It's at the Emory Road exit, off of I-75. Go east and it is about a mile on the right in the plaza that has Bruster's ice cream.
Happy anniversary!! It sounds like you've picked a wonderful place to go celebrate. I can't wait to hear how your dinner goes. I have company in town for the weekend and might try it, too. I love love love Greek food!! How are the prices?

Old 07-06-2007, 03:47 PM

The prices are unbelievably cheap. The veal Parmesan is $9.25. Can you believe it?

The spinach pie is an appetizer for $6.95. It is served as four small diamond shapes. I can make a very good spinach pie, but this stuff was heavenly. I think it was the superior feta cheese.

I plan on eating a lot tonight, in the spirit of research!

Thanks, guys, for the kind words.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:56 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,643,789 times
Happy anniversary! You're a real champ to sacrifice for your citydata friends by over-ordering. Don't think we've overlooked your dedication.

Have a great time.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,058,228 times
Hey Hiknapster, just to let you know I make a pretty awsome Baklava so I've been told.....

Old 07-06-2007, 07:23 PM

We definitely have to go to your house, Jim!

I got the antipasto sampler, which included bruschetta and Greek meatballs. It was very good. My husband had the gyro platter, I had the fisherman's platter which was pretty good for being made in a landlocked state, and my daughter had the chicken fingers.

I think they excel at the Greek dishes and pizza. I simply will have to go back for more research!

The entire meal came to $41, which is crazy cheap. The place was packed. Staff is extremely friendly. Both times we have had waitresses from Buffalo, who were friends but are now fighting with each other. I love Tennessee!

My husband is now putting together my very fancy computer chair. What a great present!

Old 07-06-2007, 09:36 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,542,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Smokymtngal,
I never have been able to cook indian food. I have learned most others like chinese,some japanese,mexican down pat, italian and some jewish. As for Indian, I know a couple good places north of Atlanta. Maybe a family road trip to fill up on nan bread is in order?
I think you may be right!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee