Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:55 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,966,487 times

Advertisements

My daughter recently moved into a house in Clarksville, and I intend to move to the same area. She said she was told she ought to get earthquake insurance because Clarksville is on a fault line. I'm just curious, do most people there get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 10:01 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Someone is wrong. Clarksville is not on a fault line. The nearest fault line is the New Madrid fault over near the Mississippi River.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:18 AM

Thank you! I wondered about that. I mean earthquakes can happen pretty much anywhere I suppose, but I hadn't heard anything about fault lines near there. It may have been the insurance agents error. When I called to check what home insurance might run me, they talked about EQ insurance and it turned out she was thinking of New Madrid.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:37 AM

A big earthquake at New Madrid would probably be felt here, but no real damage.

I have never actually felt an earthquake even though I have lived in Middle Tennessee most of my life, and there have been some minor earthquakes along New Madrid during that time. Others felt them, but it was so little that I didn't even notice.

Last edited by alleycat; 06-14-2007 at 11:29 AM..

Old 06-14-2007, 11:25 AM

275 posts, read 1,125,114 times
If they have a big enough earthquake to cause major damage, the Ins. Co. will find a way to weezle out of paying anyways!

- From a Katrina Survivor.....

Old 06-14-2007, 05:23 PM

What's funny here is that I talked to my daughter a bit ago about this, and she insists that they have felt several earthquakes since they've been there, which is just since late Jan.! Heck, we lived in Indonesia for two years when she was little and I only felt two there, and that is a much more active area! It's funny how someone can put a thought into your mind and suddenly you start thinking you're feeling earthquakes all the time!

Old 06-14-2007, 05:43 PM

Clarksville is only 40 or 50 miles from Nashville (and we would have felt it too). If there'd been news of a earthquake of even a tiny magnitude, they would have reported it here. I don't remember anything on the news about one (but I suppose there could have been and I missed it).

By the way, I'm originally from Clarksville and my mother still lives there.

I work with a couple of the best seismic engineers in the country. Whenever anything happens in California, HCA flies our people out there on their private jet.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:36 AM

I wasn't questioning what you had said. I told her when we spoke that I thought she was imagining it because the idea had been put into her head by someone. She still insists that she has felt them and then mentioned sink holes, which is another thing she'd been warned about. Is that part at all true?

Old 06-15-2007, 05:42 AM

There are sink holes in Tennessee. Most of the time they're not as dramatic as some I've seen in Florida and elsewhere; I've see some of those on TV that swallow a whole neighborhood. It's rare to have a home be damaged by one here, but it does happen.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:27 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
After living in the SF bay area for most of my life I can tell you that IMO earthquake insurance is pretty much a waste of money. The deductable is outragous to the point of making it a joke (20-30%) and many things are excluded. All of my insurance agents over the years have told me not to waste my money on it but if you want it they will sell it to you. While your homeowners insurance will not cover the quake damage it does cover fire/water damage which tends to happen if you get shaken bad enough. So in the case of the last SF quake where the houses were shaken then caught fire and burned they were covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee